Games go slow on windows 7

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello everybody!

my notebook isn't a year old and i can't play games like GTA IV, Dead rising 2, Saints row 3, ..
The games work fine, but they are running soooo slow..

I know people can play some of these games on windows XP, so it must be my computer specs..

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU 2,30Ghz CPUs), 2.3Ghz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX 11

if you want to know more specs to help me, please let me know.

Solution

That being said it appears that it's an integrated Intel chipset w/ a nVidia discreet option onboard. (I hate when they do those)

Go to the manufacturer's website of your laptop and try updating the nVidia driver, or even go to their site found HERE , and update the latest video drivers.

Don't worry with updating the intel drivers since your laptop has a discreet option installed or you will simply confuse it.

What kind of graphics option are you using?

4745454b

Titan
Except it doesn't work that way. Portal 2 is still using the source engine that came out with HL2. That came out way back when the P4 was still being used. Yes it's been updated but its still not as demanding as what they used to program GTA4.

I'm going to guess you are using the built in GPU found in your CPU. Intels iGPUs are getting better, but they still aren't good enough for GTA4. Run them in DX9 if its an option, and turn the settings down. Laptops don't make good gaming machines and yours isn't very powerful.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Well Portal 2 runs on the source engine, which can run on a toaster. The engines used in the other games you mentioned, especially GTA IV can be very taxing on computer resources.

Also i beileve he's looking for the specific GPU model as we can not tell much from the screen resolution or color depth, you can find it easily by using something like GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2198/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.7.html

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Thanks a lt for this information, i know i am a noob, so this is all very helpfull..

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Hi CDdude55, thanks for this info, i didnt know exactly what Hedwar2011 meant with Graphic options.
So i just download and program is easy to use?

CDdude55

Distinguished

Ya and it's very lightweight so it should be a short download and it opens up in Windows like any other application.

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Intel OpenCl driver bug detected, skipping OpenCl detection. Please update your Intel OpenCl driver to re-enable this functionality.

When the program opened, this came on my screen. I now have all the details to help, but is there an easier way then typing all the information?

All the help is much appreciated !!

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
GPU: GT2
Technology: 32nm Die Size:216mm²
Release Date: Jan 5,2011
Transistors: 1160M

Device ID: 8086-0116

Driver Version: igdumd64 8.15.10.2538 / Win7 64

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

GPU: GF108

That being said it appears that it's an integrated Intel chipset w/ a nVidia discreet option onboard. (I hate when they do those)

Go to the manufacturer's website of your laptop and try updating the nVidia driver, or even go to their site found HERE , and update the latest video drivers.

Don't worry with updating the intel drivers since your laptop has a discreet option installed or you will simply confuse it.

Solution

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Ok im downloading now, hope this works, you would be my hero :) thx a lot!!

I will ty to run some games tomorrow and i will let you know the result :)

iodselle

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

the first time i tried to install it, it didnt work.
SO i went to the link you gave me: and tried to auto-detect gpu which didnt work.
So i did a manual driver search with following:
GeForce
GeForce 600 series (notebook)
GeForce GT 630M
Windows7 64-bit
English (us)

Now it works and its installing, please let me know if i did something wrong? :)

AGAIN.. Thanks A LOT!!