Sign in with
Your question

DVD-ROM unreadable! "Access to the device denied!"

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2001 12:23:26 AM

Help! I realize this forum may be off a bit as this is for a DVD-ROM, but no one reads the other forum ;) 

Anyhow, I have a Pioneer 106S and it is installed and running 'properly'. In safe mode, all works fine. But, under normal windows, if I ever double click on the DVD itself, it gives me the following error: "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied." (if the cd in the drive is a DVD). If it's a normal CD, I get "D:\ is not a valid Win32 application." If I right-click and then go to explore the DVD, I can see the contents, but if I ever try to open a file I just get the Win32 application error.

I've tried everything from reinstalling windows to searching in my registry for old DVD entries from my last DVD-ROM. But, nothing has worked. Do I need an fdisk/reinstall, or is there something I'm missing?

Help!!

Thanks,

Jason Brown

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by asmodei on 07/23/01 08:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2001 2:27:46 AM

what OS are you running? windows 2000? Is this a new system? a new dvd drive? a little more info would be helpful......

ignore everything i say
July 24, 2001 2:44:15 AM

Sounds like you may have a software affplication conflict.
Is there more than one program installed on your machine that will play DVD ROM?
If there is you will have to open each program and uncheck the use of this software in its configuration window. Only activate the program you want Windows to use to playback your DVD ROMs.
Usually when two Windows programs conflict the result is the blue screen of death.
!