Hard disk upgrade in Dimension 8100 - how large can I go?

I have a Dimension 8100 with a 20GB hard disk that I would like to replace
it with a larger drive. I was wondering how large in size I could go? In
particular, I've heard that some computers have trouble reading over 120GB
and I was wondering whether the 8100 was one of those? Also, any brand
recommendations (Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, etc.)?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Pat
2 answers Last reply
More about hard disk upgrade dimension 8100 large

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dimension 8100 with a 20GB hard disk that I would like to replace
    > it with a larger drive. I was wondering how large in size I could go?
    > In
    > particular, I've heard that some computers have trouble reading over 120GB
    > and I was wondering whether the 8100 was one of those? Also, any brand
    > recommendations (Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, etc.)?
    >
    > Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Pat

    Pat, the D8100 will go to 127GB. To go over that, you'll need to add a PCI
    IDE controller card that supports 58-bit LBA addressing, which the Dimension
    8100 does not. Simple solution, though, if yo uhave a slot.

    As for brand, I'd still with WD or Seagate. I've been having a lot of
    trouble with Maxtors recently. IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi and
    I still won't touch them. I had way too many fail.

    Tom

    > Pat, the D8100 will go to 127GB. To go over that, you'll need to add a
    PCI
    > IDE controller card that supports 58-bit LBA addressing, which the
    Dimension
    > 8100 does not. Simple solution, though, if yo uhave a slot.
    >
    > As for brand, I'd still with WD or Seagate. I've been having a lot of
    > trouble with Maxtors recently. IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi
    and
    > I still won't touch them. I had way too many fail.
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks Tom - just what I was looking for.

    I think a 120GB drive will do fine. I just wanted to be sure it would work.
    I'll probably go with Seagate since I've heard they're the quietest.

    Thanks again. -Pat

Dell Dimension Hard Drives Computers