Hard disk upgrade in Dimension 8100 - how large can I go?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 7, 2004 5:56:33 AM

I have a Dimension 8100 with a 20GB hard disk that I would like to replace
it with a larger drive. I was wondering how large in size I could go? In
particular, I've heard that some computers have trouble reading over 120GB
and I was wondering whether the 8100 was one of those? Also, any brand
recommendations (Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, etc.)?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Pat
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:38:40 AM

"Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8100 with a 20GB hard disk that I would like to replace
> it with a larger drive. I was wondering how large in size I could go?
> In
> particular, I've heard that some computers have trouble reading over 120GB
> and I was wondering whether the 8100 was one of those? Also, any brand
> recommendations (Western Digital, Seagate, IBM, etc.)?
>
> Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
>
> Pat

Pat, the D8100 will go to 127GB. To go over that, you'll need to add a PCI
IDE controller card that supports 58-bit LBA addressing, which the Dimension
8100 does not. Simple solution, though, if yo uhave a slot.

As for brand, I'd still with WD or Seagate. I've been having a lot of
trouble with Maxtors recently. IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi and
I still won't touch them. I had way too many fail.

Tom
September 7, 2004 4:41:14 PM

> Pat, the D8100 will go to 127GB. To go over that, you'll need to add a
PCI
> IDE controller card that supports 58-bit LBA addressing, which the
Dimension
> 8100 does not. Simple solution, though, if yo uhave a slot.
>
> As for brand, I'd still with WD or Seagate. I've been having a lot of
> trouble with Maxtors recently. IBM sold their drive business to Hitachi
and
> I still won't touch them. I had way too many fail.
>
> Tom

Thanks Tom - just what I was looking for.

I think a 120GB drive will do fine. I just wanted to be sure it would work.
I'll probably go with Seagate since I've heard they're the quietest.

Thanks again. -Pat
!