Advice for a web dev laptop

Hi Folks,

I'm in a dilemma to buy a laptop for my girlfriend. It's for her work, where most of the it's just web development in PHP/ASP.NET and would be running a web & db servers on it. the DBS would MySQL and SQL Server 2008. I have narrowed down my list for couple of laptops

Acer Aspire 5745
* i5-450m
* 15.6"
* 3GB RAM
* 320GB HDD
* 2.5kg
* 3.5 hrs battery

Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820T
* i3-370m
* 14"
* 3GB RAM
* 320GB HDD
* 2.2kg
* 8 hrs battery

which would be the best option for me?

Regards,
Gayan
4 answers Last reply
More about advice laptop
  1. Whichever one has the highest resolution. When programming, the more desktop real estate the better. I always used two monitors. 1080 should be a minimum. I wouldn't worry about CPU or ram to much. SQL server will need some power, but a single user shouldn't pose a modern CPU much.
  2. Hello gunemalli;

I agree with 4745454b that a higher resolution screen (1600x900 or 1920x1080) is really great for productivity.
    But you might not find that type of option in your price range.

Both CPUs run @ 2.4Ghz and the i5-450M is a bit more powerful but not so much as you'd notice the difference.
    Intel Core i3 370M @ 2.40GHz - Intel Core i5 450M @ 2.40GHz
  3. Acer Aspire 5745G Review
    Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG Review

Both get decent reviews for a mid-range budget laptop. Slight edge to the 4820TG.

The 5745G has a dedicated numberpad while the 4820TG does not. It could come down to the features like that. Is a number pad important to her work? I'd have a hard time working on a laptop without one.

Everything else being equal, unless a long battery life is especially important to her work, I think you can let her read those online reviews and pick the one she favors.
    (gets you off the hook, you see)
  4. Thanks both of you for the replies.

The main concern is the budget. It's about $640/£380 and the best i could find were those two laptops, and i'm leaning a bit towards the timeline x b'cos of its size and battery power.

I too like high res, but it's impossible at this budget. If you've got any other good suggestions please post them here.

Thanks & Regards,

Gayan
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product