Dell 4550 hard drive error - Help ASAP, please!

Susan

Hi-

One of my clients is getting a "Primary hard drive not found" error on
a Dell 4550. They don't have any of the original disks. It was bought
and recently shipped from Singapore. Does the 4550 have a set of
diagnostics I can download, or does F12 start the diags, if you know?
I already suggested they re-seat the hard drive, and apparently that
didn't help. I've never seen the machine (or the client<g>!). The only
Dell CDs I have are for my D800 laptop, but I don't think those will
do any good.

I'm assuming that if re-seating the HD doesn't help it might have been
damaged in transit, but I'd like to have some diags to try
nonetheless. So should F12 start them up on this? It does have a
floppy drive, so I'll at least take along a boot floppy and CD. Seat
o' my pants, here (this happens tomorrow)! I'll do some more research,
but if anyone can help in the meantime, that'd be great!

TMIA-

Susan

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Susan wrote:

> Hi-
>
> One of my clients is getting a "Primary hard drive not found" error on
> a Dell 4550. They don't have any of the original disks. It was bought
> and recently shipped from Singapore. Does the 4550 have a set of
> diagnostics I can download, or does F12 start the diags, if you know?

Pressing F12 during booting takes you to a screen which offers HDD
diagnostics.

Thanks much, Sparky!

-Susan

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:23:16 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

>Susan wrote:
>
>> Hi-
>>
>> One of my clients is getting a "Primary hard drive not found" error on
>> a Dell 4550. They don't have any of the original disks. It was bought
>> and recently shipped from Singapore. Does the 4550 have a set of
>> diagnostics I can download, or does F12 start the diags, if you know?
>
>Pressing F12 during booting takes you to a screen which offers HDD
>diagnostics.

I didn't remember the 4550 supporting F12. If it doesn't, then when you see
the Dell logo, press CTR+ALT+D. I know it supports that (just did it last
week). Make sure the drive is plugged in 'tight'.

As for disks, is the Windows sticker still on the side? If so, any disks
for the same operating system will work and all the drivers can be
downloaded from Dell's site, so you're probably OK. If the D800 is the same
operating system, then the disk will work and it is legal as long as you
have that sticker.

Tom
"Susan" <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> One of my clients is getting a "Primary hard drive not found" error on
> a Dell 4550. They don't have any of the original disks. It was bought
> and recently shipped from Singapore. Does the 4550 have a set of
> diagnostics I can download, or does F12 start the diags, if you know?
> I already suggested they re-seat the hard drive, and apparently that
> didn't help. I've never seen the machine (or the client<g>!). The only
> Dell CDs I have are for my D800 laptop, but I don't think those will
> do any good.
>
> I'm assuming that if re-seating the HD doesn't help it might have been
> damaged in transit, but I'd like to have some diags to try
> nonetheless. So should F12 start them up on this? It does have a
> floppy drive, so I'll at least take along a boot floppy and CD. Seat
> o' my pants, here (this happens tomorrow)! I'll do some more research,
> but if anyone can help in the meantime, that'd be great!
>
> TMIA-
>
> Susan

Remove the hard drive from the system, determine its manufacturer and model,
download the HARD DRIVE manufacturer's DOS-mode diagnostic software, and run the
diagnostics. This approach tests the drive as close to the hardware iron as can
be done and provides reliable accurate results.

Attempting to run either built-in Dell diagnostics or the Windows SCANDISK toy
assumes that the drive itself is at least accessible, which does not seem to be
indicated by the symptoms.

Consider changing out the C2032 3v lithium battery, which can give all sorts of
false indications when failing or failed.

Last of all, hope and pray that the system was packed well for shipment from
Singapore. A real jolt in transit could have caused a head crash. But the
drive manufacturer's diagnostics will tell all... Ben Myers

On 6 Sep 2004 20:48:33 -0700, smg@bestweb.net (Susan) wrote:

>Hi-
>
>One of my clients is getting a "Primary hard drive not found" error on
>a Dell 4550. They don't have any of the original disks. It was bought
>and recently shipped from Singapore. Does the 4550 have a set of
>diagnostics I can download, or does F12 start the diags, if you know?
>I already suggested they re-seat the hard drive, and apparently that
>didn't help. I've never seen the machine (or the client<g>!). The only
>Dell CDs I have are for my D800 laptop, but I don't think those will
>do any good.
>
>I'm assuming that if re-seating the HD doesn't help it might have been
>damaged in transit, but I'd like to have some diags to try
>nonetheless. So should F12 start them up on this? It does have a
>floppy drive, so I'll at least take along a boot floppy and CD. Seat
>o' my pants, here (this happens tomorrow)! I'll do some more research,
>but if anyone can help in the meantime, that'd be great!
>
>TMIA-
>
>Susan

Hi-

That's excellent info all, thanks! I have a 1-day reprieve, so if
anyone else wants to chime in, by all means, feel free<g>!

I wish I could download the drive diags before I go there, but I won't
know what model it is until I see it. I'm not sure how I can download
it to her PC since even if it boots to a floppy I won't have internet
access from that machine. My laptop doesn't have a floppy, so I guess
I'll have to take along my CD-burner, download & burn it from there,
then run the diags from that CD in her machine (after booting from a
floppy)?

I'm by no means a hardware person (obviously!), so I'm seriously
hoping it's just loose cabling (or ding-dong the drive is dead).

I'm taking along a bootable floppy and a bootable CD with some
"generic" diags, but I feel a Catch-22 coming on. Am I missing
something obvious?

Thanks again!

-Susan

"Susan G" <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> That's excellent info all, thanks! I have a 1-day reprieve, so if
> anyone else wants to chime in, by all means, feel free<g>!
>
> I wish I could download the drive diags before I go there, but I won't
> know what model it is until I see it. I'm not sure how I can download
> it to her PC since even if it boots to a floppy I won't have internet
> access from that machine. My laptop doesn't have a floppy, so I guess
> I'll have to take along my CD-burner, download & burn it from there,
> then run the diags from that CD in her machine (after booting from a
> floppy)?
>
> I'm by no means a hardware person (obviously!), so I'm seriously
> hoping it's just loose cabling (or ding-dong the drive is dead).
>
> I'm taking along a bootable floppy and a bootable CD with some
> "generic" diags, but I feel a Catch-22 coming on. Am I missing
> something obvious?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> -Susan

Susan,

If she has her "Dell Dimension Resource CD", you won't need to download
anything. It's bootable and has multiple hard disk diagnostics. Any error
messages generated would be helpful in drive replacement if she has
remaining hardware warranty.

Aside from that, you can also run the short/quick HDD diags by pressing F12
at the Dell splash screen when booting.

3-5 minutes and you'll have a result that will give you some idea as to the
status of the hard drive.

Stew

Hi Stew-

>If she has her "Dell Dimension Resource CD", you won't need to download
>anything. It's bootable and has multiple hard disk diagnostics. Any error
>messages generated would be helpful in drive replacement if she has
>remaining hardware warranty.
Unfortunately, she says she doesn't have *any* of the original CDs --
I'm hoping she does and just doesn't know it<g>! [I can almost see
tossing docs, but not original CDs -- seems to me the less you know
about something, the *more* you'd want to keep, but maybe that's just
me -- I've kept *everything* that ever came with *anything* I ever
bought<g>!]

The only Dell Resource CD I have is for my Latitude D800, but IIRC,
when I swapped a Latitude C Series machine for the newer one, the same
CD didn't work -- it was machine-specific.

Thanks!

Susan

> Hi Stew-
>
>>If she has her "Dell Dimension Resource CD", you won't need to download
>>anything. It's bootable and has multiple hard disk diagnostics. Any
>>error
>>messages generated would be helpful in drive replacement if she has
>>remaining hardware warranty.
> Unfortunately, she says she doesn't have *any* of the original CDs --
> I'm hoping she does and just doesn't know it<g>! [I can almost see
> tossing docs, but not original CDs -- seems to me the less you know
> about something, the *more* you'd want to keep, but maybe that's just
> me -- I've kept *everything* that ever came with *anything* I ever
> bought<g>!]
>
> The only Dell Resource CD I have is for my Latitude D800, but IIRC,
> when I swapped a Latitude C Series machine for the newer one, the same
> CD didn't work -- it was machine-specific.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Susan
>
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:20:20 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>"Susan G" <smg@bestweb.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi-
>>>
>>> That's excellent info all, thanks! I have a 1-day reprieve, so if
>>> anyone else wants to chime in, by all means, feel free<g>!
>>>
>>> I wish I could download the drive diags before I go there, but I won't
>>> know what model it is until I see it. I'm not sure how I can download
>>> it to her PC since even if it boots to a floppy I won't have internet
>>> access from that machine. My laptop doesn't have a floppy, so I guess
>>> I'll have to take along my CD-burner, download & burn it from there,
>>> then run the diags from that CD in her machine (after booting from a
>>> floppy)?
>>>
>>> I'm by no means a hardware person (obviously!), so I'm seriously
>>> hoping it's just loose cabling (or ding-dong the drive is dead).
>>>
>>> I'm taking along a bootable floppy and a bootable CD with some
>>> "generic" diags, but I feel a Catch-22 coming on. Am I missing
>>> something obvious?
>>>
>>> Thanks again!
>>>
>>> -Susan
>>>

>>Susan,
>>
>>If she has her "Dell Dimension Resource CD", you won't need to download
>>anything. It's bootable and has multiple hard disk diagnostics. Any
>>error
>>messages generated would be helpful in drive replacement if she has
>>remaining hardware warranty.
>>
>>Aside from that, you can also run the short/quick HDD diags by pressing
>>F12
>>at the Dell splash screen when booting.
>>
>>3-5 minutes and you'll have a result that will give you some idea as to
>>the
>>status of the hard drive.
>>

>>Stew

Okay, so you'll still have the F12 90-90 quick diags.

Brand-specific diags can be found at the manufacturers site, though making a
bootable CD from them might be fun :)

Good luck.

Stew

If you find yourself doing troubleshooting and repair a lot, a modest investment
in a USB floppy drive would save tons of time and make you more effective. A
USB floppy does not need to be a Dell branded one. They are all pretty much the
same, as long as your laptop has a USB 2.0, which provides power to a external
USB device. (You don't need to lug around a separate power supply for an old
USB 1.1 floppy diskette drive.)

Let's hope you are right. Check the data and power cables to make sure they are
connected snugly at both ends. Long distance shipping has been known to loosen
up cables, screws, and even CPUs, if the system is not packed for fairly secure
shipping... Ben Myers

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:03:15 -0400, Susan G <smg@bestweb.net> wrote:

>Hi-
>
>That's excellent info all, thanks! I have a 1-day reprieve, so if
>anyone else wants to chime in, by all means, feel free<g>!
>
>I wish I could download the drive diags before I go there, but I won't
>know what model it is until I see it. I'm not sure how I can download
>it to her PC since even if it boots to a floppy I won't have internet
>access from that machine. My laptop doesn't have a floppy, so I guess
>I'll have to take along my CD-burner, download & burn it from there,
>then run the diags from that CD in her machine (after booting from a
>floppy)?
>
>I'm by no means a hardware person (obviously!), so I'm seriously
>hoping it's just loose cabling (or ding-dong the drive is dead).
>
>I'm taking along a bootable floppy and a bootable CD with some
>"generic" diags, but I feel a Catch-22 coming on. Am I missing
>something obvious?
>
>Thanks again!
>
>-Susan

Hi Ben-

>If you find yourself doing troubleshooting and repair a lot, a modest investment
>in a USB floppy drive would save tons of time and make you more effective. A
>USB floppy does not need to be a Dell branded one.
Point taken, thanks -- I'll find out tomorrow! I've never represented
myself as a hardware person, and this started out as basically a favor
for a friend of a friend, but this "friend" of a friend is now going
the "why can't you just fix it over the phone?" route, and "why do I
have to pay you such much"? Let's just say she doesn't seem like an
extremely "patient" person.

I've tried to explain a few things to her over the phone. We'll see
how it goes tomorrow<g>!

Thanks!

-Susan