Sign in with
Your question

Can I use a refurb Windows 7 disc on laptop not refurbished?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 26, 2013 3:27:25 PM

Hello,
I bought a Sony Vaio online w/o operating system. It has original product key that should still be good. I looked through all of my software and only found Windows 7 Home Premium for REFURBISHED computers. Can I install this and use the original W7 Home Premium product key that came with NON-REFURBISHED laptop? Thanks for any help!
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 3:38:47 PM

swervebros said:
Hello,
I bought a Sony Vaio online w/o operating system. It has original product key that should still be good. I looked through all of my software and only found Windows 7 Home Premium for REFURBISHED computers. Can I install this and use the original W7 Home Premium product key that came with NON-REFURBISHED laptop? Thanks for any help!

You will have to use a RETAIL copy of Windows 7 (which that disc may be) in order to install 7 on that computer. The product key on that computer is tied to the motherboard inside it hence being an OEM version of Windows 7. Not sure what is meant by a disc for refurbished computers as that wouldn't make a difference.

Try it and be sure to use the clean install option and get rid of any existing partitions on the HDD and re-create them before reinstalling.
m
l
a c 248 D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 4:19:00 PM

Hi :) 

Refurbished is a special cheap type of key for people who REBUILD old computers... (cheaper but ONLY for refurbishers, NOT ordinary users)

To answer your question, about the disc, i don't know lol.... but i know that Refurbished key wont work...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
!