WTB Laptop - i7, Good graphics card, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hello, all.

Ok, I am looking to buy a laptop within the next month or so... I am wondering if any of you have seen a laptop that meet the following requirements:

Price:<=$1000
GPU: ATI 5850m, 5870m, or GTX 460m (or higher, if can be found)
CPU: i7, quad core variant. Would really prefer Sandy bridge, but not absolutely required...
RAM: >=4gb (seems pretty much the standard at this price...)

Note: I know that finding a laptop with these specs would be really difficult... I've been looking quite a bit

I've been keeping an eye on LogicBUY for a couple weeks, and have seen some that come mighty close to this... just with a lower-end graphics card.

Thanks!

P.S. I saw what looked like a pretty good deal on a laptop, but it had a GT 550m.... how much of a difference is there really between a GTX 460m and a GT550m?

Hello ElectroGoofy;
"finding a laptop with these specs would be really difficult" not so much as finding the specs as finding the specs & in your budget range.

How do you feel about getting refurbished/reconditioned notebooks?
As far as I know that's about the only way you'll meet all your goals.

Otherwise it's Price: >$1000 or lower your GPU requirement.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Ok, I was sort if implying that, but maybe not obviously enough ;)

Anyway, if I can find a new laptop with those specs (within my budget, of course) I would be very happy with that... I would be much more reluctant to get a refurbished, but it isn't completely out of the question... it just seems that when I look at places with refurbished laptops they don't seem to have newer ones (ok, I was mainly looking in the Dell outlet... not sure what other companies sell refurbed laptops).

If I could find a benchmark list with framerates (3DMark numbers mean almost nothing to me... I need a comparison like FPS) for the GT 550m, GTX 460m, ATI 5850/5870m, then I would be able to decide if I need to go over 1k, or if I would be willing to take the performance hit of going with something lower.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Alright, ty for the resonse.

Judging by the performance of the GT540m, I am thinking I may want to go with something higher than a 550m... do you have any recommendations of places I could look at refurb pricing at?

Status
Not open for further replies.