YASD: What's in the bag, dad? (Val-Hum-Law, wishless, no p..

Last response: in Video Games
September 12, 2005 6:59:26 AM

YASD and YAAD both. On my way out of Gehennom with the amulet, just below
Jubilex's swamp, Rodney popped up in front of me and summoned
Demogorgon--who attacked Rodney! :)  When both disappeared, I knew they'd
teleported to the stairs, so I headed toward the soud of the fighting. On
my way, I met a cockatrice, which I dispatched in two strokes (dual +5
Excal and +6 sabre), then picked up the excessively handy corpse.

But it was too heavy to carry both that and my BoH, so I dropped the
latter and made my way across the dungeon to the up stair. When I arrived,
&D was standing alone, and Rodney had apprently fled upstairs. I swapped
the cockatrice into my weapon hand and closed in, unfortunately letting
Demogorgon get the first hit, stunning and sickening me.

OOPS! My unicorn horn and all my healing potions were still in the BoH!
I'd goofed by eating Rodney one time when I killed him, but at least I'd
gained teleport control in the bargain, so I zapped myself with a
/oTele... out of charge. Tried itrinsic teleport, but I guess that doesn't
work too well when stunned. I actually lived long enough for the stunning
to wear off, but when I tried to cast cure sickness, I failed twice and
then was out of energy. Demogorgon closed for the kill. DYWYPI?

--
"We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:59:26 GMT, Yashichi <devnull@127.0.0.1>
wrote:

>YASD and YAAD both. On my way out of Gehennom with the amulet, just below
>Jubilex's swamp, Rodney popped up in front of me and summoned
>Demogorgon--who attacked Rodney! :)  When both disappeared, I knew they'd
>teleported to the stairs, so I headed toward the soud of the fighting. On
>my way, I met a cockatrice, which I dispatched in two strokes (dual +5
>Excal and +6 sabre), then picked up the excessively handy corpse.
>
>But it was too heavy to carry both that and my BoH,

Why was it too heavy? If it was just burdened, go with it, or
drop something (almost anything) else. Even take a few turns to
dump stuff out of the BoH.

Live characters can almost always go back and get dropped
stuff. Dead characters...can't.

>so I dropped the
>latter and made my way across the dungeon to the up stair. When I arrived,
>&D was standing alone, and Rodney had apprently fled upstairs. I swapped
>the cockatrice into my weapon hand and closed in, unfortunately letting
>Demogorgon get the first hit, stunning and sickening me.

Engrave Elbereth two spaces away from Demo and let him come to
you. He'll never hit you when you're on Elbereth.

Still, you could have then taken a turn and stoned Demo.

>OOPS! My unicorn horn and all my healing potions were still in the BoH!

They're called emergency items because you need them in an
emergency. And in an emergency, almost by definition, you don't
have time to run get something from your stash.

So keep some emergency items outside of your BoH. For just
such an occurrence. You could even have taken some items out
of your BoH after you dropped it.

>I'd goofed by eating Rodney one time when I killed him, but at least I'd
>gained teleport control in the bargain, so I zapped myself with a
>/oTele... out of charge. Tried itrinsic teleport, but I guess that doesn't
>work too well when stunned.

I don't know if stunning affects teleport. I do know Moloch's
Sanctum is no-teleport, for obvious reasons.

>I actually lived long enough for the stunning
>to wear off, but when I tried to cast cure sickness, I failed twice and
>then was out of energy. Demogorgon closed for the kill. DYWYPI?

Again, Elbereth. Or were your means of instant permanent
engraving also in your BoH.

Being stunned may not affect spell casting. You didn't have
anything to lose, right?

Eucalyptus leaf?

Keep a spare blessed unicorn horn in your bag, along with holy
water to re-bless your main unihorn if it gets cursed. Keep your
main blessed unicorn horn in inventory.

Use the Orb of Fate to level port to the main dungeons and
#pray.

This wasn't YASD, this was suicide.

--
All the best,