Live Update and Firewall settings

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hello all,
I just competed my first htpc build and I am wanting to know the best settings for Windows Live Update and Firewall settings. ... Should I have the live update settings to download automatically or should I manually update? Reason I ask is I"m thinking the live update would interrupt with dvr and video streaming. I am also looking for the best setting for my Windows Firewall.

If this should be listed under 'new build' forum, please copy and paste into the forum for me...

Thanks all!

Solution
I have mine set to auto and install when I'm asleep...The restart (should one be needed) will also happen without intervention after the timer times out.
The only thing you'll see is a login screen when you move the mouse/wake the comp in the morning.
As far as firewall settings, mine is always on, windows will notify you when an app needs access through the firewall. Then you can decide if you want that to happen...
Hope this helps...jq

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I was thinking to let Live Update install auto at 4am "when I'm usally not watching tv" but I wanted to see if others were having any issues or different suggestion...Thanks scout.

robistro

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
ahhhh.....system restart. Didnt think about that one scout. This is why I ask these questions, something always gets brought up I should already know.

I still like to see what others have to say...

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I have mine set to auto and install when I'm asleep...The restart (should one be needed) will also happen without intervention after the timer times out.
The only thing you'll see is a login screen when you move the mouse/wake the comp in the morning.
As far as firewall settings, mine is always on, windows will notify you when an app needs access through the firewall. Then you can decide if you want that to happen...
Hope this helps...jq

Solution