Sign in with
Your question

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD issue-likely Raid Controller..thoughts?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 26, 2013 4:55:25 PM

I'm getting a (common) BSOD on one of my Win7 x64 Ultimate pc's. The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL issue that usually pertains to hardware and/or drivers..
I'm fairly tech saavy and know mostly what's happening here just looking for another opinion.
it's addresses at 0x000000d1 which is low value so almost certainly hardware and I've done debbugging and the main drv that always comes up is VSMRAID.sys.

oh btw..this is ONLY happening when I'm doing a Lightscribe burn and likely because it is a slightly older drive that is ATA and on a newer sys/mobo that didn't have any ata slots/controllers so a gerneric pci to pata/sata card was installed to allow this drive to be used.

The exact driver that is BSOD'ing is for this raid controller card. it uses a via vt6421 chipset and win7 has the most up to date driver for it..have removed and reinstalled it anyways..

the funny thing here is this is only on WIN 7 that gets this BSOD.. i dual booted a winxp for this reason (and also for a nephew to use for himself/gaming). in winxp this controller card/driver works fine and I can Lightscribe with no issues.

I really hate having to dual boot to another os to simply burn a disc label so curious if I have any options (other then: A-getting a SATA LS burner B. Getting a new ata controller card whose drivers might be more win7 friendly)?

Btw..before this I had checked my burners firmware and it had updates to be done so flashed that..I also saw that in some of these exact IRQL bsod cases where hardware/drivers were the issue that installing all the latest critical windows updates have helped...there were some so did that too...and lastly, on occaision this same IRQL bsod can be related to overclocking..although I know this happen when pc was first installed I did also return all oc clocks/mem in bios back to normal..

I haven't tried switching mobo slots..i only wonder this due to this bsod message and how it starts with "IRQL"...thinking maybe a weird onboard or hardware conflict...but i know, unlikely..i'm gonna try it anyways...other then that, if anyone can suggest anything before I go out a do one of those two options...that would be great.
Thanks
January 26, 2013 5:44:19 PM

I've always traced this problem in my own hardware to bad RAM or an unstable overclock. IF you're OCing your system, return it to stock settings, then download and run Memtest86: any errors indicate faulty RAM.
January 27, 2013 1:23:15 PM

thanks for the reply but as stated in my second to last paragraph..i returned all clocks to normal..so no oc at all...memory was never touched anyways but it was tested several times with vigorous testing to be a-ok.. and as stated as well, this works in XP so the ram and clock are fine if it's working there...

it's definitely the driver or possibly just some sort of strange hardware fault with the separate ata controller card that only bsod's in 7...but almost certainly driver but i'm wondering if there is someway i can get it to work in win7...

this is how i know it's that because that's all that is left...drive itself testing working just fine in another pc (and on the problem one too..in xp)..but on the other i used win 7 BUT on the other pc there is NO separate ata card..it's a slightly older mobo that had one onboard ata controller and that one worked fine in xp, win7,8,etc.. i pop in that separate card to test and again it worked fine in xp but not in win 7...

so it's the ONLY possible thing...that damn via vt6412 ata/sata raid card..and it's somehow just the win7 driver that faults... i doubt i'll get any help or answer...so it looks like i'm going to go get another ata controller card..another brand with another chipset that likely will have a driver that is more statble in win7...it's still cheaper then buying another sata drive...
January 27, 2013 4:52:34 PM

electech13 said:
thanks for the reply but as stated in my second to last paragraph..i returned all clocks to normal..so no oc at all...memory was never touched anyways but it was tested several times with vigorous testing to be a-ok.. and as stated as well, this works in XP so the ram and clock are fine if it's working there...

it's definitely the driver or possibly just some sort of strange hardware fault with the separate ata controller card that only bsod's in 7...but almost certainly driver but i'm wondering if there is someway i can get it to work in win7...

this is how i know it's that because that's all that is left...drive itself testing working just fine in another pc (and on the problem one too..in xp)..but on the other i used win 7 BUT on the other pc there is NO separate ata card..it's a slightly older mobo that had one onboard ata controller and that one worked fine in xp, win7,8,etc.. i pop in that separate card to test and again it worked fine in xp but not in win 7...

so it's the ONLY possible thing...that damn via vt6412 ata/sata raid card..and it's somehow just the win7 driver that faults... i doubt i'll get any help or answer...so it looks like i'm going to go get another ata controller card..another brand with another chipset that likely will have a driver that is more statble in win7...it's still cheaper then buying another sata drive...

Good Morning:

It's possible that the Win XP and Win 7 drivers are using different memory maps, so it's not slam dunk that the RAM was not faulty based on this alone. However, your RAM is apparently not the culprit based on your test results...

Not sure how to help at this point, it's possible that the Win 7 driver is just crappy. I guess trying another slot could make a difference, but it seems to me that you have arrived at the appropriate solution (replace the card). Good luck, and write back if your troubles continue. Good Luck!

TNN2

!