Inspiron 1150 modem slow

I bought Insipiron 1150 laptop in April. It has a 2.4 GHz CPU and
512MB RAM. The modem is BCM V.92 56K, made by Broadcom Corporation,
connected to COM3 set to max port speed (115200). Most of the time my
dialup speed is at 26.4 Kbps, sometimes at 28K and rarely 32K, which
was the top speed. I didn't add any custom initialization strings.

When I use an IBM laptop (a few years older model) hooking up the same
phone line in the same room dialing to the same ISP, Access4Less, most
of the time I get 42K bps.

Does anybody else experience slow modem connection with this model of
Dell laptop? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Thanks.

Yong Huang

BigJim

no doubt about it, some modems are better than others.
you could opt for a pcmcia card modem from 3com
"Yong Huang" <yong321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I bought Insipiron 1150 laptop in April. It has a 2.4 GHz CPU and
> 512MB RAM. The modem is BCM V.92 56K, made by Broadcom Corporation,
> connected to COM3 set to max port speed (115200). Most of the time my
> dialup speed is at 26.4 Kbps, sometimes at 28K and rarely 32K, which
> was the top speed. I didn't add any custom initialization strings.
>
> When I use an IBM laptop (a few years older model) hooking up the same
> phone line in the same room dialing to the same ISP, Access4Less, most
> of the time I get 42K bps.
>
> Does anybody else experience slow modem connection with this model of
> Dell laptop? Is there anything I can do to make it better? Thanks.
>
> Yong Huang

I have the same problem with an Insipiron 9100.

Surely there must be a better driver somewhere, but I have yet to find it.

Don