Am I ready? (Ascension run)

Last response: in Video Games
September 12, 2005 3:01:19 PM

So, I'm standing at the gates of The Wizard of Yendor's tower, ready to
dash in and get the Book of the Dead. From this point onwards, I'll
have to be constantly on the run - I've been relatively cautious and
slow-moving lately, but that'll change as soon as Rodney's up and
moving. I have a good way of getting back up to DL1 (there's a
level-teleporter right outside Rod's tower), but I'm not sure if I
should wait and power up my ranger some more, or charge in as-is.

Here's my stats:

Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16
Chaotic
Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122
* Level 22, I think.

* Base Attributes:

Starting
name : Lathanel
race : elf
role : Ranger
gender : male
alignment : chaotic

Current
race : Aleax
role (base) : Ranger
gender : male
gender (base) : female
alignment : chaotic

* My stuff:

Amulets
E - an uncursed amulet of unchanging (being worn)
Weapons
n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
hand)
v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
Armor
c - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
h - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of displacement (being worn)
j - a burnt +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
z - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)
Z - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
* I lost my +4 gauntlets of dexterity somewhere along the way, and I
think Sirius II has my spares. Grr.
Rings
b - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on right hand)
i - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)
Wands
d - a wand of polymorph
* 1 charge left, but I could wrest one easily enough.
Tools
a - an uncursed magic whistle
k - an uncursed key
m - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN
U - an uncursed towel
Gems
y - a blessed luckstone

* Inside the bag of holding named MAIN:

Amulets
a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
Weapons
b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
* I know I should drop these, but they'll make nice souvenirs.
Armor
h - an uncursed +0 pair of levitation boots
i - a blessed +1 pair of speed boots
Scrolls
j - 10 blessed scrolls of blank paper
Spellbooks
k - a blessed spellbook of identify
l - an uncursed spellbook of create monster
Potions
m - 8 potions of holy water
n - a potion of water (this is cursed)
Rings
o - an uncursed rusty ring of levitation
a - a blessed ring of polymorph control
b - an uncursed ring of free action
c - an uncursed ring called polymorph
Wands
d - a wand of fire
e - a wand of death
f - a wand of digging (0:6)
g - a blessed wand of digging
h - an uncursed wand of teleportation
i - a wand of death
j - a wand of digging
k - a wand of cold
l - a wand of death
m - a wand of digging
n - a rusty wand of teleportation
o - a rusty wand of teleportation
p - a wand of digging
* Each of these wands has at least one charge.
Tools
q - a +0 pick-axe
Gems
r - 11 rubies
s - 13 white gems
t - 2 blessed touchstones
u - a blessed luckstone

* Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:

a - 62 C-rations

* My spells (when naked):

Name Level Category Fail
a - light 1* divination 21%
b - force bolt 1* attack 21%
c - extra healing 3 healing 39%
d - magic mapping 5 divination 65%
e - wizard lock 2* matter 21%
f - cone of cold 4* attack 75%
g - sleep 1* enchantment 21%
h - healing 1 healing 39%
i - detect monsters 1* divination 21%
j - fireball 4* attack 75%
k - slow monster 2* enchantment 21%
l - cause fear 3* enchantment 21%
m - magic missile 2 attack 21%
n - levitation 4 escape 75%
o - clairvoyance 3* divination 21%
p - detect treasure 4* divination 21%
q - invisibility 4 escape 58%
r - jumping 1* escape 21%
s - cure sickness 3* healing 39%
t - create monster 2 clerical 21%
u - detect unseen 3* divination 21%
v - restore ability 4* healing 83%
w - haste self 3 escape 21%
x - detect food 2 divination 21%
y - identify 3 divination 21%
z - cure blindness 2 healing 39%
A - create familiar 6 clerical 100%
B - protection 1 clerical 21%
C - dig 5 matter 90%
D - stone to flesh 3 healing 21%
E - charm monster 3 enchantment 21%
* Most of these are probably out-of-date; I don't carry around
spellbooks for the most part.

There's a wand of polymorph that I could wrest a charge from a few
levels back, and a major stash in Mine Town (and one in Ludios). Also,
a there's a +0 cloak of protection I've been eyeing for the MC.
Besides that, what else do I need? Any general tips for Rodney,
Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?

More about : ready ascension run

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:11:17 PM

Oh. I forgot to mention a few things: This has the potential to be my
first ascension ever, and I have all the important intrinsics except
teleport control (thus the ring).
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:31:31 PM

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> So, I'm standing at the gates of The Wizard of Yendor's tower, ready to
> dash in and get the Book of the Dead. From this point onwards, I'll
> have to be constantly on the run - I've been relatively cautious and
> slow-moving lately, but that'll change as soon as Rodney's up and
> moving. I have a good way of getting back up to DL1 (there's a
> level-teleporter right outside Rod's tower), but I'm not sure if I
> should wait and power up my ranger some more, or charge in as-is.

Rodney has the Book and the Book does not stop level
teleport fom working. The Amulet DOES stop level
teleport from working.

> E - an uncursed amulet of unchanging (being worn)

Interesting this is neither reflection nor life saving,
because;

> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
> o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
> hand)
> v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)

I thought the Longbow only gave reflection when wielded.

> d - a wand of polymorph
> * 1 charge left, but I could wrest one easily enough.

Once you wake up Rodney there will not be time.

> q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
> G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN

Have you seen any oilskin sacks? They work better
than greased bags and they do not explode if a
wand of cancelation is put in them.

> a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing

Great for plane of water just in case.

> j - 10 blessed scrolls of blank paper

Make 4 cursed scrolls of gold detection:

> n - a potion of water (this is cursed)

> e - a wand of death

Rodney-bane.

> i - a wand of death
> l - a wand of death
> m - a wand of digging

> * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
>
> a - 62 C-rations

Okay. Next game collect K-rations instead.

> c - extra healing 3 healing 39%
> s - cure sickness 3* healing 39%

I am not happy with the failure rates on these but
little can be done at this point.

> Besides that, what else do I need? Any general tips for Rodney,
> Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?

I did not notice the Bell or the Candalabrum so make sure you
did the Quest and Vlad's tower.

Make certain you find the Vibrating Square first.

With careful play after finding the VS you'll be fine.
September 12, 2005 3:44:05 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Interesting this is neither reflection nor life saving,
> because;

This may have been a dumb move on my part, but ever since I found both
a ring of polymorph and a ring of polymorph control I have been more or
less permenantly polymorphed into an Aleax. This, along with lots of
potions of full healing and an invisible Archon pet has kept me very
safe. Oddly enough, I seem to be fighting more randomly-generated A's
now.

> > q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
> > G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN
>
> Have you seen any oilskin sacks? They work better
> than greased bags and they do not explode if a
> wand of cancelation is put in them.

I haven't seen any oilskin sacks at all. I have been looking, though.

> Make 4 cursed scrolls of gold detection:

How do I do this?

> > * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
> >
> > a - 62 C-rations
>
> Okay. Next game collect K-rations instead.

Why? Do they give more nutrition:weight? I noticed that they'll take
me right from weak to no messages, so they're pretty decent there.

> > c - extra healing 3 healing 39%
> > s - cure sickness 3* healing 39%
>
> I am not happy with the failure rates on these but
> little can be done at this point.

I've only just started spellcasting; all I've used so far is Identify
and Create Monster (for sacrificing in Mine Town). Oddly enough, the
only altars that have been in this game so far were on the levels where
they were guaranteed.

> > Besides that, what else do I need? Any general tips for Rodney,
> > Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?
>
> I did not notice the Bell or the Candalabrum so make sure you
> did the Quest and Vlad's tower.
>
> Make certain you find the Vibrating Square first.
>
> With careful play after finding the VS you'll be fine.

I've (found|done) all of this already, but thanks for the advice. The
Bell and the Candalebrum are sitting happily on the VS.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:50:28 PM

Well, you have a good armor class (-44 AC).

You have magic resistance in a non-stealable (by Rodney) form (GDSM).

You have reflection as long as you weild the longbox (it is stealable,
but that would only be a hassle if a black dragon was around and
disintegrating your armor). Are you disintegration resistant?

You have regeneration available. That's good, but you may only want to
wear it when you need it to avoid excess hunger.

You have a teleport control ring. Are you wearing it because you have
teleportation, but no control? It is not a terrible situation to have
to wear the ring, but it does tie up a ring finger that could be used
later for conflict, levitation, or free action. (I forget, do Aleaxes
fly?) Ah, I read your second message, no TC, check.

You have a blessed unicorn horn.

You have some back-up holy water.

In general, you look pretty good to go.

I do wonder why you are going as an Aleax rather than a human, but
maybe for style.

I personally would switch to the speed boots for the extra speed and
have Frost Brand out of the bag as a secondary weapon for when you
really need to start making a path through the monsters. A back-up
source of reflection (shield of reflection) would be a nice addition.
You might consider eating the Wizard corpse(s) when you get them to try
to pick up TC. I would pick up any other wands of teleportation that
you come across. They are handy for clearing a path on the Astral
Plane.

Some more HP would be nice if you have, or can make, potions of full
healing.

Do you have a plan for locating the portals on the Planes? Confused
scrolls of gold detection are probably the easiest/lightest way to go.
Just wandering and searching can work eventually. The Amulet can be
worn for hotter/colder clues (did I also read somewhere that it can be
weilded for similar clues?).

Good luck.

--
-Harold Hill
Anonymous

Andrew Kerr wrote:
> In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
>
> Trying not to repeat what Doug has said.
>
> > n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
>
> As an elf, use of elven bow + elven arrow will add one to your maximum
> multi shot, i.e. you would fire d5 arrows per turn instead of d4. However,
> if the Longbow is your only source of reflection - wield it!

I do have a shield of reflection - I wonder why it didn't show up in my
list?

> > o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
> > hand)
>
> Not an artifact? Frostbrand, Firebrand or Stormbringer, as you have these
> anyway. The foobrands between them will do double damage to anything.

I tried wielding Stormy for a while. However, it tends to cause
accidents with pets, and my Archon has been very valuable (and is
probably getting really really close to going wild). Plus, it doesn't
really help at the lower levels - most are immune to level drain.

> > v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
>
> You seem to have few arrows. With a bit of effort it's perfectly possible
> to get hundreds of blessed fireproof +7 arrows. Disarm arrow traps, invoke
> Longbow. Pile all arrows, ID all or none, cancel, enchant en masse. As you
> fire d4 per turn (d5 if elven bow and elven arrows) it is well worth it to
> enchant IMHO. With sufficient arrows, you may be better off only ever using
> a bow for a weapon, particularly as the Longbow is your only source of
> reflection.
>
> Silver arrows would be nice too.

Hmm, good advice. I generally #invoke the Longbow before I get into a
fight to conserve weight - I'm already pushing Burdened.

> > j - a burnt +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
> > x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
> > z - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
>
> Not reflection?

See above.

> > T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)
>
> Rather pointless if not enchanted.

I picked this up fairly recently - still looking for an opportunity to
enchant.

> Regen has a substantial hunger penalty. I'd not use it until in a fight.
> I'd wear free action instead.

I had no idea about the hunger penalty. I was wondering why I got
hungry so fast, especially being an uneating creature.

> > * Inside the bag of holding named MAIN:
>
> > Weapons
> > b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
> > c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
> > d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
> > e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
> > f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
> > g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
> > * I know I should drop these, but they'll make nice souvenirs.
>
> Ditch Orcrist at least, preferably followed by Ogresmasher and Dragonbane.
> Why are you not using Foobrand or Stormy instead of the generic long sword?
> If Firebrand was a divine gift it will be fooproofed and possibly
> enchanted.

See above on Stormy. I could switch to a foobrand, but my longsword is
already up to +7.

> > Potions
> > m - 8 potions of holy water
>
> Keep one in a (preferably oilskin) sack. BoHs can become cursed and lose
> contents.

No oilskin yet :(

> All those marked * are out of date. +DetectUnseen could be useful on
> Planes. You may be best off refreshing +Jump and replacing your jumping
> boots with speed boots.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can hunt down another Jump
spellbook.

> > Any general tips for Rodney,
> > Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?
>
> I've never got that far, thus invalidating all my advice ;)  The easy kills
> are from /oDeath for Rodney, rubber chickens/stoning bombs for Riders and
> player characters.

Stoning bomb? What's that? Sounds like fun.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:16:12 PM

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> HP:161(161)

HP are very low for a first ascension. Things on the Planes will hit
harder than anything you've seen in a while, and you'll be at serious
risk of dying for the first time since well before the Castle. I'd
want 300 for a first ascension. 161 is doable if you're very careful,
but you have to make sure you're tracking your HP every turn and have
some extra !ofFH with you.

> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)

This is insufficient as a reflection source. It is likely to be stolen
(Rodney loves stealing Quest artifacts). Amulet or shield will do
nicely.

You have Frost Brand, the 2nd best weapon in the game, in your sack.
Get it out, enchant it up, and use it.

Switch to speed boots.

Make sure you have MC3.

Get K-rations instead of C-rations in case you face Famine.

Get those hit points up.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:18:34 PM

Yup. Sirius II, named in the memory of Sirius I, polymorphed into a
Coutl on DL1. Probably the only reason I made it this far.
Re-polymorphed into a violet fungus on DL28 and eaten shortly
thereafter. *tear*

I already had a ton of really nice stuff when I found the castle /WoW,
so I wished for a blessed figurine of an Archon.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:26:06 PM

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > > * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
>
> > > a - 62 C-rations
>
> > Okay. Next game collect K-rations instead.
>
> Why? Do they give more nutrition:weight? I noticed that they'll take
> me right from weak to no messages, so they're pretty decent there.

More nutrition:time. That's important when fighting
Famine. Both K-rations and C-rations are eaten in
1 turn so there is no time lost eating them. Both
have the same nutrition:weight ratio.

If it were nutrition:weight that was the most important,
you'd save every lembas wafer for the ascension run.
Lembas is great in regular play but eating one takes
at least 2 turns.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:20:34 PM

Glad to hear you have shield of reflection--enchant it and wear it.
Even if you can't enchant it, wear it. It's far more likely to save
your life than a few points of AC.

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> > > T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)
> >
> > Rather pointless if not enchanted.
>
> I picked this up fairly recently - still looking for an opportunity to
> enchant.

Do it, it's another 4-5 points of AC.

> > Regen has a substantial hunger penalty. I'd not use it until in a fight.
> > I'd wear free action instead.
>
> I had no idea about the hunger penalty. I was wondering why I got
> hungry so fast, especially being an uneating creature.

Yeah, the eating penalty is a pain. Conflict has the same penalty (and
ring of hunger is obviously bad like that). Free action is very
important in the later game!

In the late game I use =FreeAction all the time and switch between
=SlowDigestion and =Levitation. I also carry =Conflict and always
forget to use it, which was a contributing factor to my one Astral
Plane death.

> > Why are you not using Foobrand or Stormy instead of the generic long sword?
> > If Firebrand was a divine gift it will be fooproofed and possibly
>
> See above on Stormy. I could switch to a foobrand, but my longsword is
> already up to +7.

Frostbrand does double damage to everything that isn't cold-resistant.
That is a major benefit. +3 Frosty is definitely better than +7
longsword, I haven't run the numbers but even +1 might be better.

> > Keep one in a (preferably oilskin) sack. BoHs can become cursed and lose
> > contents.
>
> No oilskin yet :(

Well, keep at least on !ofHolyWater outside the BoH (in a sack or
something to avoid freezing/boiling/etc).

If the bag of holding gets cursed you are in severe trouble without a
way to uncurse it before taking things out of it.

> > All those marked * are out of date. +DetectUnseen could be useful on
> > Planes. You may be best off refreshing +Jump and replacing your jumping
> > boots with speed boots.
>
> Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can hunt down another Jump
> spellbook.

Speed boots are really a good thing.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:04:15 PM

In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...

Trying not to repeat what Doug has said.

> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)

As an elf, use of elven bow + elven arrow will add one to your maximum
multi shot, i.e. you would fire d5 arrows per turn instead of d4. However,
if the Longbow is your only source of reflection - wield it!

> o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
> hand)

Not an artifact? Frostbrand, Firebrand or Stormbringer, as you have these
anyway. The foobrands between them will do double damage to anything.

> v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)

You seem to have few arrows. With a bit of effort it's perfectly possible
to get hundreds of blessed fireproof +7 arrows. Disarm arrow traps, invoke
Longbow. Pile all arrows, ID all or none, cancel, enchant en masse. As you
fire d4 per turn (d5 if elven bow and elven arrows) it is well worth it to
enchant IMHO. With sufficient arrows, you may be better off only ever using
a bow for a weapon, particularly as the Longbow is your only source of
reflection.

Silver arrows would be nice too.

> Armor
> c - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
> h - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of displacement (being worn)

I personally distrust the [CoDisp as it is MC2. Others like it. Note that
[Robe reduces spell failure rates and has MC3.

> j - a burnt +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
> x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
> z - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)

Not reflection?

> T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)

Rather pointless if not enchanted.

> Z - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
> * I lost my +4 gauntlets of dexterity somewhere along the way, and I
> think Sirius II has my spares. Grr.

> Rings
> b - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on right hand)
> i - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)

Regen has a substantial hunger penalty. I'd not use it until in a fight.
I'd wear free action instead.

> * Inside the bag of holding named MAIN:

> Weapons
> b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
> c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
> d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
> e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
> f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
> g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
> * I know I should drop these, but they'll make nice souvenirs.

Ditch Orcrist at least, preferably followed by Ogresmasher and Dragonbane.
Why are you not using Foobrand or Stormy instead of the generic long sword?
If Firebrand was a divine gift it will be fooproofed and possibly
enchanted.

> Spellbooks
> k - a blessed spellbook of identify
> l - an uncursed spellbook of create monster

Stash them.

> Potions
> m - 8 potions of holy water

Keep one in a (preferably oilskin) sack. BoHs can become cursed and lose
contents.

> Tools
> q - a +0 pick-axe

Dig a quick route between stairs in Gehennom and possibly the Dungeon.
Stash before Ascension Run.

> * My spells (when naked):
> * Most of these are probably out-of-date; I don't carry around
> spellbooks for the most part.

All those marked * are out of date. +DetectUnseen could be useful on
Planes. You may be best off refreshing +Jump and replacing your jumping
boots with speed boots.

> Any general tips for Rodney,
> Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?

I've never got that far, thus invalidating all my advice ;)  The easy kills
are from /oDeath for Rodney, rubber chickens/stoning bombs for Riders and
player characters.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:11:58 PM

In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> * I lost my +4 gauntlets of dexterity somewhere along the way, and I
> think Sirius II has my spares. Grr.

Is Sirius II the pet Archon?
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:13:29 PM

In article <1126551028.241015.160410@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<hhill@thinksystem.net> says...
> I do wonder why you are going as an Aleax rather than a human, but
> maybe for style.

He's an elf :)

Aleaxes get two weapon hits plus one non weapon hit per turn. They can't
fly.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:20:33 PM

In article <1126552515.410605.4100@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can hunt down another Jump
> spellbook.

What happened to the one you had?

> Stoning bomb? What's that? Sounds like fun.

Cockatrice egg. Poly into female cockatrice, sit.

Do not eat ;)
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:38:36 PM

In article <1126549891.744405.13360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Doug
Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> > * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
> >
> > a - 62 C-rations
>
> Okay. Next game collect K-rations instead.

And bless them to avoid fainting.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:42:47 PM

On 12 Sep 2005 11:31:31 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
<dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Electronic Samurai wrote:
>>
>> So, I'm standing at the gates of The Wizard of Yendor's tower, ready to
>> dash in and get the Book of the Dead. From this point onwards, I'll
>> have to be constantly on the run - I've been relatively cautious and
>> slow-moving lately, but that'll change as soon as Rodney's up and
>> moving. I have a good way of getting back up to DL1 (there's a
>> level-teleporter right outside Rod's tower), but I'm not sure if I
>> should wait and power up my ranger some more, or charge in as-is.
>
>Rodney has the Book and the Book does not stop level
>teleport fom working. The Amulet DOES stop level
>teleport from working.
>
>> E - an uncursed amulet of unchanging (being worn)
>
>Interesting this is neither reflection nor life saving,
>because;

Maybe because TronSam's poly'd into an Aleax:

>>Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16 Chaotic
>>Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122

But if Electronic Samurai dies as an Aleax while wearing the
amulet of unchanging, I believe that's it: DYWYPI?

>> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
>> o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
>> hand)
>> v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
>
>I thought the Longbow only gave reflection when wielded.

I figured 'Tronic would just switch ('x') as needed.
Given all resistances including disintegration (which I really
hope TronSam has) that should be enough.

I'm surprised by the unidentified arrows, but I've never
seriously played an archer.

>> d - a wand of polymorph
>> * 1 charge left, but I could wrest one easily enough.
>
>Once you wake up Rodney there will not be time.

I believe he's asking if he should use it *before* he wakes
up the WoY, and if so, what on.

>> q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
>> G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN
>
>Have you seen any oilskin sacks? They work better
>than greased bags and they do not explode if a
>wand of cancelation is put in them.

And they don't suddenly get four times as heavy when cursed.
or destroy items when opened while cursed. If TronSam has
b?oRC and potions of holy water in each for just such an
occurrence that's not bad thinking.

It's one way to deal with the random cursing of BoH problem
without carrying a potentially explosive wand of cancellation.

Spell of cancellation is even better, with even a medium
failure rate. Having a robe to improve that if it needs to be
cast would also help.

Of course, many recommend carrying b?oRC, holy water, and/or
/oCancellation separately in a sack or oilskin bag. If you don't
have the /oCanc in the sack, accidentally putting the sack into
the boh isn't dangerous.

Whereas in the current situation, BoH into BoH and it's magical
explosion time.

For accidents I've found a blessed greased bag to be
sufficient. I don't know about long/multiple immersions.

>> a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
>
>Great for plane of water just in case.

You betcha. Just don't forget a) to put it on
and b) to take it off.

(Of course, maybe an Aleax can fly and/or is unbreathing? :-)

>> j - 10 blessed scrolls of blank paper
>
>Make 4 cursed scrolls of gold detection:

Make more unholy water first. For cursing alchemized/found
potions of gain level. (Hint: What happens when you quaff a
cursed potion of gain level.

Cursed works better on earth and air, true. Even though
the marker disappears when you directly view the square,
the portal's not going anywhere.

On water the portal does move. 3/4 extra scrolls of gold
detection handle that well. Write them first, then curse
all but one of them together.

On the plane of fire cursed scrolls of gold detection
are a frustrating disappointment, especially compared to
confused uncursed/blessed. So you want a way to confuse
yourself on the Plane of Fire.

>> n - a potion of water (this is cursed)

Make more.

This (short) thread has many suggestions for items to find the
portals on the Astral Planes: (for someone who had no ?oGD):

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.neth...;

That thread also shows a player with the courage to enter the
planes without being spoiled silly. That player also to stopped
and asked for help (twice) when it was needed.

>> e - a wand of death
>
>Rodney-bane.

Be SURE you have reflection and/or magic resistance when you
use it. REMEMBER that Rodney will steal your Quest artifact if
you're using it for reflection.

>> i - a wand of death
>> l - a wand of death
>> m - a wand of digging
>
>> * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
>>
>> a - 62 C-rations
>
>Okay. Next game collect K-rations instead.

And don't take more than 30 to the Astral Planes.

>> c - extra healing 3 healing 39%
>> s - cure sickness 3* healing 39%
>
>I am not happy with the failure rates on these but
>little can be done at this point.

There should be plenty of robes available for the taking
in Moloch's Sanctum. :-)

Refreshing cure sickness before waking Rodney is highly
recommended.

>> Besides that, what else do I need? Any general tips for Rodney,
>> Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?
>
>I did not notice the Bell or the Candalabrum so make sure you
>did the Quest and Vlad's tower.
>
>Make certain you find the Vibrating Square first.
>
>With careful play after finding the VS you'll be fine.

Do what Doug says. :-)

Here are some links to threads on this very subject.
(You have to do *some* work yourself. :-)

This short thread discusses what *not* to do when things start
to go wrong, as well as what *to* do:

YASD: What's in the bag, dad? (Val-Hum-Law, wishless, no polyobj,
very dead):
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.neth...;

Advice on AK:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.neth...;

My first few posts in the thread I spent a lot of effort on.
But read everone else's too:

Endgame hints:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.neth...;

Read ALL the bleedin' messages you get. Slow down your play
as much as you need to do that. (Guess how I know that's
important. ;^)

If Magicbane is anywhere in the dungeon, wield it as much as
possible after waking Rodney. Since you should be running except
when you have to fight, that should be quite often.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:25:08 AM

On 12 Sep 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Electronic Samurai"
<Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So, I'm standing at the gates of The Wizard of Yendor's tower, ready to
>dash in and get the Book of the Dead. From this point onwards, I'll
>have to be constantly on the run - I've been relatively cautious and
>slow-moving lately, but that'll change as soon as Rodney's up and
>moving. I have a good way of getting back up to DL1 (there's a
>level-teleporter right outside Rod's tower), but I'm not sure if I
>should wait and power up my ranger some more, or charge in as-is.
>
>Here's my stats:
>
>Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16
>Chaotic
>Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122
> * Level 22, I think.
>
> * Base Attributes:
>
>Starting
>name : Lathanel
>race : elf
>role : Ranger
>gender : male
>alignment : chaotic
>
>Current
>race : Aleax
>role (base) : Ranger
>gender : male
>gender (base) : female
>alignment : chaotic
>
> * My stuff:
>
>Amulets
>E - an uncursed amulet of unchanging (being worn)
>Weapons
>n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
>o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
>hand)
>v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
>Armor
>c - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
>h - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of displacement (being worn)
>j - a burnt +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn)

Very nice if you are a) unburdened and b) can see where to
land. I do hope you are at least fast (/oSpeed Monster will
make sure.)

Good work being displaced, should be very nice with jumping.

Wands of teleport: zap a path through crowds of monsters, then
jump along it. Won't work on plane of air or plane of water.

>x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
>z - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
>T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)

This isn't doing you any good. Enchant it (recommended) or
dump it. You can wrest that last charge from the wand of poly
and zap a few piles of blessed scrolls and hope for ?oEA.

>Z - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
> * I lost my +4 gauntlets of dexterity somewhere along the way, and I
>think Sirius II has my spares. Grr.
>Rings
>b - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on right hand)

Use this with all the teleport scrolls you can find on the way
up to get to the upstairs when they're far away. (Only on
teleport-enabled levels, of course. :-)

Once you're on the Astral planes this ring is useless. Dump
it then. A ring of conflict is best then until just before
you enter Astral.

>i - an uncursed ring of regeneration (on left hand)

With this and the jumping ignore what I said in my other post
about dumping c-rations. Keep'em as long as you're jumping.

>Wands
>d - a wand of polymorph
> * 1 charge left, but I could wrest one easily enough.
>Tools
>a - an uncursed magic whistle

Can be useful, worth the weight.

>k - an uncursed key
>m - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
>q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
>G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN
>U - an uncursed towel
>Gems
>y - a blessed luckstone
>
> * Inside the bag of holding named MAIN:
>
>Amulets
>a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
>Weapons
>b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
>c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
>d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
>e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
>f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
>g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
> * I know I should drop these, but they'll make nice souvenirs.

As long as you're not burdened.

>Armor
>h - an uncursed +0 pair of levitation boots

These for Air and Water. If caught in a vortex on the
Plain of Fire, put these on in case you get dropped in lava.

Otherwise on the plane of fire:
Get confused (expired spell will work. Stunned is okay.)
Read NON-cursed scroll of gold detection.
Find the resulting trap that's a slightly different color from
all the rest.
#jump to it!

>i - a blessed +1 pair of speed boots
>Scrolls
>j - 10 blessed scrolls of blank paper
>Spellbooks
>k - a blessed spellbook of identify
>l - an uncursed spellbook of create monster
>Potions
>m - 8 potions of holy water
>n - a potion of water (this is cursed)
>Rings
>o - an uncursed rusty ring of levitation
>a - a blessed ring of polymorph control
>b - an uncursed ring of free action
>c - an uncursed ring called polymorph
>Wands
>d - a wand of fire

Useful for permanent Elbereth on Earth, Fire and Astral.
Elbereth is less useful on Astral because it's ignored by
@ and A.

>e - a wand of death
>f - a wand of digging (0:6)
>g - a blessed wand of digging
>h - an uncursed wand of teleportation
>i - a wand of death
>j - a wand of digging
>k - a wand of cold
>l - a wand of death
>m - a wand of digging
>n - a rusty wand of teleportation
>o - a rusty wand of teleportation
>p - a wand of digging
> * Each of these wands has at least one charge.
>Tools
>q - a +0 pick-axe

The only time you might want digging after the Plane of
Earth is on the Plane of Fire. If you step into lava
and then freeze it. So have all wands of cold in main
inventory for the plain of Fire.

Dump all digging equipment after the plain of fire
(or just before you leave it.)

>Gems
>r - 11 rubies
>s - 13 white gems
>t - 2 blessed touchstones
>u - a blessed luckstone
>
> * Inside the bag of holding named SECONDARY:
>
>a - 62 C-rations
>
> * My spells (when naked):
>
> Name Level Category Fail
> a - light 1* divination 21%

Refresh this before leaving the dungeon for the Astral
planes. Works well with #jumping boots for high-speed
travelling.

> b - force bolt 1* attack 21%
> c - extra healing 3 healing 39%
> d - magic mapping 5 divination 65%

Use this on the plane of air (or a scroll of magic
mapping) to find the shortest route through the clouds.
(You can get frozen by lightning in the clouds with
no way to resist it.)

> e - wizard lock 2* matter 21%
> f - cone of cold 4* attack 75%

This might be nice for the plane of fire, with a robe.

> g - sleep 1* enchantment 21%
> h - healing 1 healing 39%
> i - detect monsters 1* divination 21%

If you can cast this at skilled it will last more
than one turn. It can also be "pumped up" by repeated
casting to last even longer.

> j - fireball 4* attack 75%
> k - slow monster 2* enchantment 21%
> l - cause fear 3* enchantment 21%
> m - magic missile 2 attack 21%
> n - levitation 4 escape 75%
> o - clairvoyance 3* divination 21%
> p - detect treasure 4* divination 21%
> q - invisibility 4 escape 58%
> r - jumping 1* escape 21%
> s - cure sickness 3* healing 39%

Refresh this and see how a robe helps your casting.

> t - create monster 2 clerical 21%
> u - detect unseen 3* divination 21%
> v - restore ability 4* healing 83%
> w - haste self 3 escape 21%

If you're not already fast (and I hope you are)
this works as well as speed boots. It can be pumped
up by repeated casting.

> x - detect food 2 divination 21%
> y - identify 3 divination 21%
> z - cure blindness 2 healing 39%
> A - create familiar 6 clerical 100%
> B - protection 1 clerical 21%
> C - dig 5 matter 90%
> D - stone to flesh 3 healing 21%
> E - charm monster 3 enchantment 21%

This turns enemies into neutrals, or possibly even allies.
Very powerful in an emergency.

> * Most of these are probably out-of-date; I don't carry around
>spellbooks for the most part.
>
>There's a wand of polymorph that I could wrest a charge from a few
>levels back, and a major stash in Mine Town (and one in Ludios). Also,
>a there's a +0 cloak of protection I've been eyeing for the MC.
>Besides that, what else do I need? Any general tips for Rodney,
>Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?

See my other post.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:52:58 AM

On 12 Sep 2005 12:15:15 -0700, "Electronic Samurai"
<Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Andrew Kerr wrote:
>> In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
>>

>I tried wielding Stormy for a while. However, it tends to cause
>accidents with pets, and my Archon has been very valuable (and is
>probably getting really really close to going wild). Plus, it doesn't
>really help at the lower levels - most are immune to level drain.

Refresh charm monster and try to up its tameness. There
may not be any visible sign one way or the other. All it takes
is time.

>> > v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
>>
>> You seem to have few arrows. With a bit of effort it's perfectly possible
>> to get hundreds of blessed fireproof +7 arrows. Disarm arrow traps, invoke
>> Longbow. Pile all arrows, ID all or none, cancel, enchant en masse. As you
>> fire d4 per turn (d5 if elven bow and elven arrows) it is well worth it to
>> enchant IMHO. With sufficient arrows, you may be better off only ever using
>> a bow for a weapon, particularly as the Longbow is your only source of
>> reflection.
>>
>> Silver arrows would be nice too.
>
>Hmm, good advice. I generally #invoke the Longbow before I get into a
>fight to conserve weight - I'm already pushing Burdened.
>
>> > j - a burnt +0 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
>> > x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
>> > z - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
>>
>> Not reflection?
>
>See above.
>
>> > T - an uncursed +0 T-shirt (being worn)
>>
>> Rather pointless if not enchanted.
>
>I picked this up fairly recently - still looking for an opportunity to
>enchant.

Have your r(ead) it yet?

>> Regen has a substantial hunger penalty. I'd not use it until in a fight.
>> I'd wear free action instead.
>
>I had no idea about the hunger penalty. I was wondering why I got
>hungry so fast, especially being an uneating creature.
>
>> > * Inside the bag of holding named MAIN:
>>
>> > Weapons
>> > b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
>> > c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
>> > d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
>> > e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
>> > f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
>> > g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
>> > * I know I should drop these, but they'll make nice souvenirs.
>>
>> Ditch Orcrist at least, preferably followed by Ogresmasher and Dragonbane.
>> Why are you not using Foobrand or Stormy instead of the generic long sword?
>> If Firebrand was a divine gift it will be fooproofed and possibly
>> enchanted.
>
>See above on Stormy. I could switch to a foobrand, but my longsword is
>already up to +7.

Compare damage anyway. Artifacts do more damage than plain
versions of the same weapon type.

>> > Potions
>> > m - 8 potions of holy water
>>
>> Keep one in a (preferably oilskin) sack. BoHs can become cursed and lose
>> contents.
>
>No oilskin yet :(

Not tragic by any means. There is such a range of situations,
as well as possible counters to them, that everyone tries to
be prepared for everything.

Andrew's main point was about having holy water in a curse-
preventing sack that can't become a danger to its contents.

>> All those marked * are out of date. +DetectUnseen could be useful on
>> Planes. You may be best off refreshing +Jump and replacing your jumping
>> boots with speed boots.
>
>Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can hunt down another Jump
>spellbook.

I disagree. The amulet of Yendor doubles Pw cost when
spellcasting. Better to refresh spell of haste self.

You can drop the Amulet of Yendor for casting haste self.

Dropping the Amulet of Yendor for casting jump.... :-)

And #jumping while being very fast lets you travel two to
three times as times as fast as just being very fast.

#Jumping is better for travelling. You can #jump up to
*three* squares in a horizontal or vertical direction, two
squares on a diagonal.

You can easily #jump across a level and *back* before someone
very fast has made it across the level at all.

There can't be anything in your way, and you must be able
to see (i.e. it's lit and you're not blind) your destination
square.

Few monsters are a threat when they are receding rapidly
in your rear-view mirror. Especially when you have displacement
as well.

The nature of the game changes after you wake up Rodney.

After that point you want to travel as fast as you can
while fighting as little as you can.

Very fast is better for fighting.

Jumping is best for travelling.

*You* can have the best of *both* worlds, and that's very
good indeed.

With your armor you can pause during breaks between monsters,
put on a robe from Moloch's Sanctum and pump up the spell of
haste self. I've had it last for a thousand turns after my
knowledge of the spell expired.

When you get to Astral start #jumping immediately toward the
nearest altar, before the plane fills up with monsters.

I #jumped past Pestilence twice on my first ascension, coming
and going. Pestilence didn't touch me either time.

Now, if you'd rather not go to the trouble of traveling 2 to 3
times as fast, that's entirely up to you. ;^) It's a lot of work
for something that usually isn't worth it.

>> > Any general tips for Rodney,
>> > Moloch's Sanctum, the Planes, etc.?
>>
>> I've never got that far, thus invalidating all my advice ;)  The easy kills
>> are from /oDeath for Rodney, rubber chickens/stoning bombs for Riders and
>> player characters.
>
>Stoning bomb? What's that? Sounds like fun.

Cockatrice Egg.

Unfortunately, a lot of Preparation for Astral needs to start
long in advance, to get the right equipment, stats, etc.

You're very lucky in having jumping boots and spell of haste
self, as well as spell of charm monster.

What spell schools have you enhanced?

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:53:22 AM

Electronic Samurai wrote:

>> Make 4 cursed scrolls of gold detection:
>
> How do I do this?

Write on scrolls of blank paper; either with a cursed marker or on cursed
paper, the other can be uncursed or cursed. Don't use a blessed marker or
blessed paper, because then you'll have uncursed scrolls.

If you have some uncursed scrolls of gold detection already, dip them in
unholy water.

Raisse, killed by burning scrolls

September 13, 2005 7:45:53 PM

I haven't enhanced any spells so far - my character's not really a
caster. I generally depend on the Longbow to soften targets up
(#invoking first for blessed arrows), then I and Sirius II wail on
what's left, jumping around like a madman.

I do wish I had a more reliable light source, though. The Light spell
is handy and all, but I have to strip down to use it, and I can't see
me doing that after waking Rodney.

I'm definately going to switch back to Stormy. I guess I'll just take
it a little more carefully around my Archon. As someone wise posted
here: Play fast in Nethack, but slow in real-life.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:53:39 AM

> I mean you don't have a main stash, or even main stashes.
> Everything you've found up to now that you're not carrying
> is still pretty much scattered through the dungeon. (I hope
> I'm wrong.)
>
> This is fine for a speed ascension and those with the skill
> (and desire!) to do it. I don't think that's what you want.

I'm glad to say to are. I'm not running a speed game by any means -
I've been down to Mine Town twice now, and collecting and stashing
everything useful I've found along the way. In Orcus' town, I've got a
stash in another BoH hidden under a boulder (sixth I've found this
game, btw) on a space engraved with Elbereth, that has backups for
quite a bit of the armor & weapons + anything else I've found of use.
Lots of scrolls there, including 20 blanks should I happen across
another MM. It's also got a +3 orange dragon scale mail (taken from
Mandarin, another former pet :(  ) and a backup set of grey dragon
scales.

There's another stash down in Mine Town that I need to return to once
more, but its usefulness is dwindling. It's one of only two altars so
far in this game, the other being in Gehemmon.

> I almost feel like you're some kind of precocious unspoiled
> prodigy doing a great job with what you have. (And
> congratulations too! :-)

Thanks, this is a really great compliment.

> Play carefully.
>
> Enjoy the game.
>
> Feel free to ask for *specific* help, and we'll gladly confuse
> you to the best of our limited abilities. ;^)
>
> Good luck!
>

> --
> All the best,
>
> Jove

Is that as in "By Jove!", as those crazy Gauls are known to exclaim? ;)
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:01:06 AM

In article <1126651553.141469.178240@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> I do wish I had a more reliable light source, though. The Light spell
> is handy and all, but I have to strip down to use it, and I can't see
> me doing that after waking Rodney.

If you have sufficient patience, +Light up all Gehennom and Dungeon levels
between upstairs and downstairs before waking Rodney. Dig a quick route
while you're at it.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:31:06 AM

On 13 Sep 2005 15:45:53 -0700, "Electronic Samurai"
<Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't enhanced any spells so far - my character's not really a
>caster. I generally depend on the Longbow to soften targets up
>(#invoking first for blessed arrows), then I and Sirius II wail on
>what's left, jumping around like a madman.
>
>I do wish I had a more reliable light source, though. The Light spell
>is handy and all, but I have to strip down to use it, and I can't see
>me doing that after waking Rodney.
>
>I'm definately going to switch back to Stormy. I guess I'll just take
>it a little more carefully around my Archon. As someone wise posted
>here: Play fast in Nethack, but slow in real-life.

In answer to the question in the post, I'd have to say no,
you're not ready for the Ascension run, or even to wake up
Rodney.

I'm mostly a wizard expert, with Valk, Tourist, Priest, and
Rogue ascensions. (I'm not bragging. I'm defining the
boundaries of my knowledge. My ignorance is, of course,
unbounded. ;^)

If anyone thinks I'm wrong please tell him, and me, so we'll
both know better.

It looks to me like you've pretty much just descended through
the dungeon alpine-mountain-climbing style. (Someone else's
phrase, but I think I'm the first to steal it. ;^).

I mean you don't have a main stash, or even main stashes.
Everything you've found up to now that you're not carrying
is still pretty much scattered through the dungeon. (I hope
I'm wrong.)

This is fine for a speed ascension and those with the skill
(and desire!) to do it. I don't think that's what you want.

I almost feel like you're some kind of precocious unspoiled
prodigy doing a great job with what you have. (And
congratulations too! :-)

You've done a good job enchanting your weapon and developing
skill with it. It's not a weapon I'd choose to use. But I
wouldn't have gotten nearly as far with it as you have, so
pay to attention to what I think about it. (I'm just telling
you so you'll know not to listen to me. ;^)

You did a great job picking your pet and using it to survive.

I don't think your style would work for me, but I'm not playing
your character. You are, and doing a good job of it from what I
can tell.

You play style is so different from mine that I don't know
what advice I could give you, other than:

Play carefully.

Enjoy the game.

Feel free to ask for *specific* help, and we'll gladly confuse
you to the best of our limited abilities. ;^)

Good luck!

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:33:32 AM

On 13 Sep 2005 21:53:39 -0700, "Electronic Samurai"
<Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I mean you don't have a main stash, or even main stashes.
>> Everything you've found up to now that you're not carrying
>> is still pretty much scattered through the dungeon. (I hope
>> I'm wrong.)
>>
>> This is fine for a speed ascension and those with the skill
>> (and desire!) to do it. I don't think that's what you want.
>
>I'm glad to say to are. I'm not running a speed game by any means -
>I've been down to Mine Town twice now, and collecting and stashing
>everything useful I've found along the way. In Orcus' town, I've got a
>stash in another BoH hidden under a boulder (sixth I've found this
>game, btw) on a space engraved with Elbereth, that has backups for
>quite a bit of the armor & weapons + anything else I've found of use.

Whereas I always have a main stash at the lowest altar in the
main dungeon (if possible) with every scroll, spellbook, potion,
and wand found throughout the dungeon and every branch.

And I'm not obsessive about it compared to some posters here.
:-)

There are a lot of spells that are suprisingly useful on the
Astral Planes. Spell of detect unseen will show a portal within
eight(?) spaces of you.

Spell of confuse monster can be cast repeatedly to "pump it
up". Then the next so many monsters you hit will have a good
chance of becoming confused: i.e. leave you alone and starting
hitting other monsters nearby.

You seem to have discovered the charms of "charm monster"
yourself. ;-)

Knowing your Pw and spell failure rates when fully armored
(and what that armor is) would be interesting. If you have
low max Pw, there are ways of helping that as well.

Knowing what all spellbooks you've found would be useful as
well.

Someone else can look at all the artifact weapons you have
and try to decide if one might be better than what your using.

>Lots of scrolls there, including 20 blanks should I happen across
>another MM. It's also got a +3 orange dragon scale mail (taken from
>Mandarin, another former pet :(  ) and a backup set of grey dragon
>scales.

I had a set of SDSM named "Silver's First Shedding" from a pet.
I revived him with a wand of undead turning, hence the "first".

Backup armor/weapons may not be that useful unless you get pets
to use them. Which is certainly one way to go. Pacifists have
ascended, after all.

One thing that can really help on the Ascension Run is
Magicbane: It resists curse attacks when wielded (and one player
posted here saying they #quit on the Ascension run when they
ran out of uncursing supplies.)

Magicbane's not much of a weapon, but you shouldn't be fighting
on the Ascension run anyway if you can possibly help it.

For your character it's probably best to use all resources to
get one really excellent set of weapons/armor to use.

(An AC of -50 is a great comfort during the ascension run. And
I've ascended with an AC of -60. Achieving those AC targets
requires tedious work and a lot of patience, but, oh, the
solace that they give during a time of affliction. ;-)

Since you're ready in case of finding another magic marker,
have you tried polying for one? Or you can try polying for
?oEA directly. Some care is necessary to maximize the chance
of successful polying. And it helps to know the possible other
uses of scrolls types you may get.

A low enough AC can compensate for a number of sins. As can
powerful enough pets, or powerful enough weapons/attacks, or the
ability to travel at warp speed.

And I think relying on a single strength is easier than working
all angles of the problem. Not necessarily better or more
effective, but easier.

During the ascension run I tend to get massively over focussed
and play too fast to really work a number of different
techniques.

>There's another stash down in Mine Town that I need to return to once
>more, but its usefulness is dwindling. It's one of only two altars so
>far in this game, the other being in Gehemmon.
>
>> I almost feel like you're some kind of precocious unspoiled
>> prodigy doing a great job with what you have. (And
>> congratulations too! :-)
>>

>Thanks, this is a really great compliment.
>
>> Play carefully.
>>
>> Enjoy the game.
>>
>> Feel free to ask for *specific* help, and we'll gladly confuse
>> you to the best of our limited abilities. ;^)
>>
>> Good luck!
>> --
>> All the best,
>>
>> Jove
>
>Is that as in "By Jove!", as those crazy Gauls are known to exclaim? ;)

Among other things. ;-) Someday I may put together my advice
on playing the wizard class and call it "Wizard! By Jove!" :-D

Someone earlier pointed out that when reading my posts on
google, it always attributed them as "by Jove", which tickled
them.

And someone used that in the first(?) reply my my YAFAP.

So you may not be the first to notice it, but just consider
that there's safety in numbers. ;^)

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:18:04 AM

> Here's my stats:
>
> Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16
> Chaotic
> Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122
> * Level 22, I think.

Can an Aleax two-weapon? (maybe even two-weapon two artifacts?). If
so, that might be worth doing if you're not using a shield of
reflection.

Knnn.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:32:39 PM

Knnn wrote:
> > Here's my stats:
> >
> > Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16
> > Chaotic
> > Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122
> > * Level 22, I think.
>
> Can an Aleax two-weapon? (maybe even two-weapon two artifacts?). If
> so, that might be worth doing if you're not using a shield of
> reflection.
>
> Knnn.

I'm not sure if Aleaxes can, but I know Rangers can't.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:27:06 PM

Jove wrote:
> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>
> Whereas I always have a main stash at the lowest altar in the
> main dungeon (if possible) with every scroll, spellbook, potion,
> and wand found throughout the dungeon and every branch.
>
> And I'm not obsessive about it compared to some posters here.
> :-)

I no longer shuttle all rocks or chains. I no longer
break most boulder for extra rocks to shuttle. I am
starting to leave chests behind, maybe even boxes.
I also tend to build up 2-3 hoards rather than 1.
Somewhat les shuttling. That still leaves me as one
of the ones more obsessive about being a packrat than
you are.

I don't automatically keep my hoards in the main
dungeon, either. Valk with easy level teleport I'll
keep my main hoard at the top altar of the main
dungeon and consider a hoard of specialties in a
branch. Wiz with easy branch portal I'll keep my
hoard at the altar nearest a portal.

> There are a lot of spells that are suprisingly useful on the
> Astral Planes. Spell of detect unseen will show a portal within
> eight(?) spaces of you.

Wow. Notes taken.

> Someone else can look at all the artifact weapons you have
> and try to decide if one might be better than what your using.

Already covered by others.

> I had a set of SDSM named "Silver's First Shedding" from a pet.
> I revived him with a wand of undead turning, hence the "first".

In my recent game I burned two /oUT reviving an orange
dragon trying to get orange scales (I want the complete
set). Do revived dragons have a lower chance or was I
just unlucky? My own advice of keep trying would seem
to apply.

> Backup armor/weapons may not be that useful unless you get pets
> to use them. Which is certainly one way to go. Pacifists have
> ascended, after all.

I think backup armor in a hoard is disaster preparedness.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:12:32 AM

On 14 Sep 2005 10:27:06 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
<dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>>
>> Whereas I always have a main stash at the lowest altar in the
>> main dungeon (if possible) with every scroll, spellbook, potion,
>> and wand found throughout the dungeon and every branch.
>>
>> And I'm not obsessive about it compared to some posters here.
>> :-)
>
>I no longer shuttle all rocks or chains. I no longer
>break most boulder for extra rocks to shuttle. I am
>starting to leave chests behind, maybe even boxes.
>I also tend to build up 2-3 hoards rather than 1.
>Somewhat les shuttling. That still leaves me as one
>of the ones more obsessive about being a packrat than
>you are.

Wow. (Put your analyst on danger money. ;^)

>I don't automatically keep my hoards in the main
>dungeon, either. Valk with easy level teleport I'll
>keep my main hoard at the top altar of the main
>dungeon and consider a hoard of specialties in a
>branch. Wiz with easy branch portal I'll keep my
>hoard at the altar nearest a portal.

Very good points. Interesting how the Wizard and Valkyrie
roles have parallels (level/branch porting) and opposites
(Wiz gets much Int, must survive to improve others. Valks
struggle for Int. Wizards are best spellcasters, Valks are
worst. I think ;-).

>> There are a lot of spells that are suprisingly useful on the
>> Astral Planes. Spell of detect unseen will show a portal within
>> eight(?) spaces of you.
>
>Wow. Notes taken.

Just like a wand of secret door detection. ;-)

Or wear a ring of searching and wander around. (I used
to polyself and eat rings of searching, when possible, to get
the searching intrinsic.)

>> Someone else can look at all the artifact weapons you have
>> and try to decide if one might be better than what your using.
>
>Already covered by others.
>
>> I had a set of SDSM named "Silver's First Shedding" from a pet.
>> I revived him with a wand of undead turning, hence the "first".
>
>In my recent game I burned two /oUT reviving an orange
>dragon trying to get orange scales (I want the complete
>set). Do revived dragons have a lower chance or was I
>just unlucky? My own advice of keep trying would seem
>to apply.

I think a dragon has 1/3 or 1/2 chance of leaving scales the
first time it is killed. A resurrected dragon has 1/20 chance
of leaving scales when killed.

Spell of undead turning is what my wizards keep an eye out for
to guarantee the first silver dragon found produces scales sooner
or later. I'll even resurrect the dragon again after getting
scales, and leave it alive, in gratitude.

>> Backup armor/weapons may not be that useful unless you get pets
>> to use them. Which is certainly one way to go. Pacifists have
>> ascended, after all.
>
>I think backup armor in a hoard is disaster preparedness.

Oh definitely. But in the context of being ready for the
Ascension Run, it may not count as much.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:40:26 AM

<dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Someone else can look at all the artifact weapons you have
>> and try to decide if one might be better than what your using.
>
>Already covered by others.

Without knowing what ?oEW Electronci Samurai has (or can
scrounge up somehow) and what the current enchantment of
all his artifact weapons currently are (Do we know that?),
I'm not sure how good sure that advice can really be.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:05:05 AM

Jove wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2005 10:27:06 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
> <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> >> Someone else can look at all the artifact weapons you have
> >> and try to decide if one might be better than what your using.
> >
> >Already covered by others.
> >

> Without knowing what ?oEW Electronci Samurai has (or can
> scrounge up somehow) and what the current enchantment of
> all his artifact weapons currently are (Do we know that?),
> I'm not sure how good sure that advice can really be.
>
> --
> All the best,
>
> Jove

All the unidentified artifacts ought to be blessed, rustproof, and +1.
I got them mainly by #praying.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:12:29 PM

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> Jove wrote:
>
> > Without knowing what ?oEW Electronci Samurai has (or can
> > scrounge up somehow) and what the current enchantment of
> > all his artifact weapons currently are (Do we know that?),
> > I'm not sure how good sure that advice can really be.
>
> All the unidentified artifacts ought to be blessed, rustproof, and +1.
> I got them mainly by #praying.

Gifts can be either uncursed or blessed as seen in the
list. They are also +0 or better so there's no reason
to think they are +1.

Main inventory:
n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
o - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might (weapon in
hand)
v - 17 blessed arrows (in quiver)
m - a blessed +0 unicorn horn

Golf bag:
b - the blessed +1 Frost Brand
c - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
d - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
e - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
f - the blessed rustproof +5 Stormbringer
g - an elven broadsword named Orcrist
q - a +0 pick-axe

Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:16
Chaotic
Dlvl:39 $:0 HP:161(161) Pw:173(173) AC:-44 HD:10 T:141122

Playing an Aleax sounds like fun.

Andrew Kerr posted about weapons, so some of this will be duplicate.

I agree that using a non-artifact long sword is not
a good idea when either Frost Brand or Stormbringer is
available. With or without being well enchanted like
Stormy is above. So I suggest ditching Orion's Might
in favor of either of those. You've already explained
why you don't want to use Stormy so switch to Frosty
and work on enchanting it.

On your arrows, once you have the Longbow of Diana
start hoarding arrows. If it's your class's Quest
artifact start out untrapping arrow traps from the
gate; if it's wished start as soon as the wish
suceeds. Get a big stack, use cancellation to make
them all stackable together into a bundle of hundreds.
Bless so they rarely dissappear, identify to know their
level, start enchanting them up.

Since your arrows are quivered, you clearly use "x"
to swap between the Longbow and your wielded weapon.
Good plan. Getting to Expert in bow means you go
around picking arrows off of corpses more often than
you need to switch to your wielded weapon anyways.

Ogresmasher, Dragonbane, Orcrist. I don't think it
is worth even identifying them. They are monster
specific and you're already able to take out dragons
without Dragonbane. Fire Brand isn't worth
enchanting once you have Frost Brand.

I disagree with the reasons for not using Stormbringer
so I'd switch to it. Baring that the one to go with
is Frosty and make more arrows.

Also-ran stuf - Good to see the unihorn blessed. On
the pickaxe if I have the luxury of extra ?oEW I'll
even rustproof it. At very least I bless it because
I dig a lot and end up bashing a fair number of
monsters with it when they bother me while I'm digging.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:53:00 PM

sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> > See above on Stormy. I could switch to a foobrand, but my longsword is
> > already up to +7.
>
> Frostbrand does double damage to everything that isn't cold-resistant.
> That is a major benefit. +3 Frosty is definitely better than +7
> longsword, I haven't run the numbers but even +1 might be better.

So just switching to +1 Frost Brand will do 3.5 extra damage on average
over staying with the +7 longsword (even bigger difference against
large creatures); the only time to switch back would be for
cold-resistant creatures.

If you got Frost Brand to +7, it'd do 15.5 extra points of damage over
the regular longsword (again, with an even bigger difference against
large creatures).

Here are some numbers:
+7 longsword (expert skill, 18 str) vs Small/Medium monsters:
1d8 + 7 (enchantment) + 2 (skill) + 2 (strength) = 1d8 + 11 (15.5
damage)
vs large it's 1d12 + 11 (17.5 damage)

+1 Frost Brand vs small
2 * (1d8 + 1 (enchantment) + 2(skill) + 2(strength)) = 2d8 + 10 (19
damage)
vs large it's 2d12+10 (23 damage)

Enchanting Frost Brand up to +7 will do another 12 points of damage per
hit. Getting Gauntlets of Power (or 18/** strength) would do another 8
points of damage per hit.

So you could be doing 2d8+30 vs small/medium and 2d12+30 vs large with
Frost Brand.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 5:19:42 PM

sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > See above on Stormy. I could switch to a foobrand, but my longsword is
> > > already up to +7.
> >
> > Frostbrand does double damage to everything that isn't cold-resistant.
> > That is a major benefit. +3 Frosty is definitely better than +7
> > longsword, I haven't run the numbers but even +1 might be better.
> Here are some numbers:

Trying again (thanks for the correction, per Martin Read strength/skill
bonuses aren't doubled):

> +7 longsword (expert skill, 18 str) vs Small/Medium monsters:
> 1d8 + 7 (enchantment) + 2 (skill) + 2 (strength) = 1d8 + 11 (15.5
> damage)
> vs large it's 1d12 + 11 (17.5 damage)
>
> +1 Frost Brand vs small
> 2 * (1d8 + 1 (enchantment)) + 2(skill) + 2(strength) = 2d8 + 6 (15
> damage)
> vs large it's 2d12+6 (19 damage)

So the +1 Frost Brand is .5 damage points worse than the +7 longsword
against small/medium, and 1.5 points better against large creatures.

At +2 or better, Frost Brand is clearly superior (except obviously
cold-resistant creatures)
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:27:19 PM

Andrew Kerr wrote:
> The OP should give "Orion's Might" to his pet - unless his pet has
> something better.

The Archon is wielding the Sunsword, so no problem there. I've decided
to switch to Stormreaver for the time being, and power up Frostbrand.

> Yes, but as he is an elf base, I suggest elven bow + elven arrows for that
> extra multi shot. He already has a [SoReflect, and Rodney is liable to
> pinch the Longbow.

So, should I grab an elven bow as a backup, and start hoarding elf
arrows I come across? Which is more important to enchant?
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:31:27 PM

In article <1126797149.473955.37880@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Doug
Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> I agree that using a non-artifact long sword is not
> a good idea when either Frost Brand or Stormbringer is
> available. With or without being well enchanted like
> Stormy is above. So I suggest ditching Orion's Might
> in favor of either of those. You've already explained
> why you don't want to use Stormy so switch to Frosty
> and work on enchanting it.

The OP should give "Orion's Might" to his pet - unless his pet has
something better.

He could also juggle between artifacts to get one appropriate to his
situation. Frostbrand is generally more useful, and damages fewer items,
but some monsters are cold resistant, e.g. undead. Between them, the
foobrands will do extra damage to almost any monster. Master/arch lichs,
xorn, archon are fire and cold resistant.

> On your arrows, once you have the Longbow of Diana
> start hoarding arrows. If it's your class's Quest
> artifact start out untrapping arrow traps from the
> gate; if it's wished start as soon as the wish
> suceeds. Get a big stack, use cancellation to make
> them all stackable together into a bundle of hundreds.
> Bless so they rarely dissappear, identify to know their
> level, start enchanting them up.

Yes, but as he is an elf base, I suggest elven bow + elven arrows for that
extra multi shot. He already has a [SoReflect, and Rodney is liable to
pinch the Longbow.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:31:30 PM

In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> Weapons
> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-

There is actually very little point in enchanting missile launchers (bows,
crossbows, slings). It adds to the to-hit chances, but at Expert and high
XP level you won't miss anyway. It does not add to the damage. Stack up
large numbers of arrows and enchant them instead. Arrow enchantments go
towards both to-hit and damage. This is damage per arrow, so if you're
firing d4 arrows per turn (average 2.5) each point of enchantment on the
arrow stack adds an average 2.5 points of damage to each volley.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:21:57 PM

"sjdevnull@yahoo.com" <sjdevnull@yahoo.com> wrote:
>+1 Frost Brand vs small
>2 * (1d8 + 1 (enchantment) + 2(skill) + 2(strength)) = 2d8 + 10 (19
>damage)
>vs large it's 2d12+10 (23 damage)

Artifact bonuses to damage are applied in the initial call to dmgval().
Strength and skill bonuses to damage are applied by adding the result of
a call to dbon() to the result of the call to dmgval().

Hence, double-damage artifacts do not double strength or skill bonuses
to damage.
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / the sweeney's doing ninety cos they've got the word to go they've got a
\/ bunch of villains in a shed up at Heathrow -- Squeeze, "Cool For Cats"
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 5:43:12 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:30 GMT, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
>> Weapons
>> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
>>
>I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-
>
>There is actually very little point in enchanting missile launchers (bows,
>crossbows, slings). It adds to the to-hit chances, but at Expert and high
>XP level you won't miss anyway. It does not add to the damage. Stack up
>large numbers of arrows and enchant them instead. Arrow enchantments go
>towards both to-hit and damage. This is damage per arrow, so if you're
>firing d4 arrows per turn (average 2.5) each point of enchantment on the
>arrow stack adds an average 2.5 points of damage to each volley.

And has anyone reminded TronSam that the Longbow of Diana can
be invoked? And what it does?

Some comments on the "best" intervals for #invoking would also
not come amiss.

Note that enough light, disposable, projectiles translates into
starting "Project: ArrowStorm!" as far away as possible.

And since you can't #twoweapon:

- Wield, say, Stormbringer, as your primary weapon.
- #adjust to 'x' for ease of remembering.)

- Press 'x' to then make Stormbringer your secondary weapon

- Wield the Longbow of Diana.
- (#adjust to 'w' for convenience.)

- Quiver your arrows.
- #adjust them to 'Q' for convenience.

- Turn on autoquiver.
- 'O' to get to options menu
- 'c' to toggle autoquiver

- #adjust your secondary stack of arrows to 'R'. (Autoquiver
searches for quiverable weapons in 'A-Za-z' order.)

Storm monsters with arrows while they're approaching you
- As long as your pet *ISN'T* in the line of fire, near
or far.
- Press 'x' to switch to melee weapon
- kill monster
- *IMMEDIATELY* 'x' again to switch back to wielding
Longbow of Diana

With that approach, I think Stormbringer is slightly ahead
in your melee weapon race:

- It's already enchanted a fair amount.

- Level drain attack is the equivalent of (some) extra
damage. And I think lowering a monster's level makes it
a little easier to deal with in some ways.

- Heals(?) you slightly when it drains a monster.

- Doesn't destroy items.

- Few monsters are level-drain resistant.

The downside of Stormbringer is, of course, hitting peacefuls
by accident. We all know that simple self-discipline is the
answer. We also all know that's not going to happen. ;^)

The "procedural" fix described above may work because you want
to be wielding the Longbow to hit monsters at a distance anyway.
Not to mention having its power of reflection. (as a *backup.*)

For those of you enamoured of #twoweapon, (and who isn't? ;^)
consider the ability to fire multiple projectiles per move as the
equivalent to #twoweapon. Or #three weapon.

Expert Elven rangers using an elven bow/arrows will *average*
three arrows per firing. And arrows, like all projectile
weapons, can still be used at melee range. #twoweapon can't be
used past one square of distance away. (Or can it? What about
lances? Aren't they the only one-handed polearm?)

Enchanting a large stack of projectile weapons looks very good
when used in combination with this. It's like using one scroll
of enchant weapon to enchant both of the weapons you use for
#twoweaponing. (Not *exactly* like, but like.)

Every projectile you fire will have benefited the same from the
?oEW. This is a very nice "multiplier" effect. Just like the
"multiplier" effect of blessing the ?oEW. And the multiplier
effect of being able to fire multiple projectile weapons per
move.

An example: Using a b?oEW will average 2 points of
enchantment, instead of only one that you would get from u?oEW.
A b?oEW used on a stack of 10 arrows, will therefore add an
average total of 20 points of enchantment.

And one poison dip can, of course, poison a whole stack of
arrows.

Ditto one potion of holy water blessing a whole stack.

There is, of course, the weight downside of carrying multiple
projectile weapons. And if you can't fire multiple projectiles
per move, the only advantage you get is ranged damage.

Only? What am I saying? Hitting an approaching monster just
twice before it reaches melee range means 4 more points of
damage.

And the amount of hits at range can be increased:
- If the monster starts from farther away.
- More strength so the arrows can be fired farther.
- More skill to allow more arrows to be fired per move.
- Racial weapons to allow more arrows to be fired.
- More skill for more hits.
- Character being (very) fast.
- Spell/wand of slow monster.
- Firing across a blockage: water, lava, boulder, etc.
I just now -
- used a boulder to block a doorway against a
mindflayer.
- Blinded myself so telepathy showed when the mindflayer
was in position.
- Used thrown daggers to kill the mindflayer.
- Got some brain food, too!

Hitting monsters when they can't hit back is a great way to
survive in NetHack. And ranged attacks are generally the most
available way to do that.

Yes, occasionally an orc will throw its sole dagger at me.
That just reminds me of my stack of four +4 daggers (found that
way. :-). And I kill the orc by throwing daggers, just to show
how it *should* be done.

And if all you've got is a bunch of +0 uncursed, unpoisoned
arrows, so what? Electronic Samurais should still be able to
hit an approaching monster with eight or so. Losing some
shouldn't matter. (Charged wands of wishing are the drink
stirrer of choice in the demigod bar. ;^)

"Hail to the Wizard of Yendor!" ;^)

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:10:55 AM

In article <1126823239.958141.71560@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> > Yes, but as he is an elf base, I suggest elven bow + elven arrows for that
> > extra multi shot. He already has a [SoReflect, and Rodney is liable to
> > pinch the Longbow.
>
> So, should I grab an elven bow as a backup, and start hoarding elf
> arrows I come across? Which is more important to enchant?

Don't bother enchanting the bow, and don't enchant elven arrows until you
have a large stack, or they won't stack. If you scour the dungeon, I'd
expect you to get at least 100 elven arrows. Make sure you bless them, and
poison them if possible. Continue to use Longbow and regular arrows in the
mean time.

Frostbrand would be the priority now for enchanting.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:14:09 AM

In article <njgji1tuhup3tt8tpo32goa1kcuoi9p65k@4ax.com>, Jove
<invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:30 GMT, Andrew Kerr
> <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> >Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> >> Weapons
> >> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
> >>
> >I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-
> >
> >There is actually very little point in enchanting missile launchers (bows,
> >crossbows, slings). It adds to the to-hit chances, but at Expert and high
> >XP level you won't miss anyway. It does not add to the damage. Stack up
> >large numbers of arrows and enchant them instead. Arrow enchantments go
> >towards both to-hit and damage. This is damage per arrow, so if you're
> >firing d4 arrows per turn (average 2.5) each point of enchantment on the
> >arrow stack adds an average 2.5 points of damage to each volley.
>
> And has anyone reminded TronSam that the Longbow of Diana can
> be invoked? And what it does?

He knows :)

> Some comments on the "best" intervals for #invoking would also
> not come amiss.

Duh... every 1000 moves? I forget.

> Expert Elven rangers using an elven bow/arrows will *average*
> three arrows per firing.

:)

> And arrows, like all projectile
> weapons, can still be used at melee range. #twoweapon can't be
> used past one square of distance away. (Or can it? What about
> lances? Aren't they the only one-handed polearm?)

Well, as you know lances aren't in the polearm category, but can be
#applied in the same way. When #twoweaponing lances, the minimum of lance
skill and #twoweapon skill is used in calculating #applying range. That
does strike me as a little odd.

> A b?oEW used on a stack of 10 arrows, will therefore add an
> average total of 20 points of enchantment.

.... but you can't fire all 10 at once. IMHO the average increase per volley
is a more useful comparison - so one b?oEW on an unenchanted arrow stack
adds an average 6 points per volley for an elven ranger using elven arrows
with an elven bow. This is a better increase than enchanting any artifact.

> And one poison dip can, of course, poison a whole stack of
> arrows.
>
> Ditto one potion of holy water blessing a whole stack.

And do bless them, or they are likely to disappear when fired.
September 16, 2005 9:17:19 AM

invalid@invalid.invalid says...
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:30 GMT, Andrew Kerr
> <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> >Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> >> Weapons
> >> n - the blessed +5 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
> >>
> >I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-
> >

> For those of you enamoured of #twoweapon, (and who isn't? ;^)
> consider the ability to fire multiple projectiles per move as the
> equivalent to #twoweapon. Or #three weapon.
>

> Expert Elven rangers using an elven bow/arrows will *average*
> three arrows per firing. And arrows, like all projectile
> weapons, can still be used at melee range. #twoweapon can't be
> used past one square of distance away. (Or can it? What about
> lances? Aren't they the only one-handed polearm?)

How useful are distance weapons on Astral (or in Moloch's Sanctum, for
that matter)?

If he's trying to ascend, his most likely problems will be in the
Sanctum, on Air, and on Astral. Two of the three aren't good candidates
for ranged weapons.

Also, YMMV but I'd prefer to be wielding my primary melee weapon when
Rodney shows up next to me.

-S
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:45:28 AM

In article <MPG.1d942211a87c5a4989758@news.west.Earthlink.net>, S
<NONO@NONE.com> says...

> How useful are distance weapons on Astral (or in Moloch's Sanctum, for
> that matter)?
>
> If he's trying to ascend, his most likely problems will be in the
> Sanctum, on Air, and on Astral. Two of the three aren't good candidates
> for ranged weapons.
>
> Also, YMMV but I'd prefer to be wielding my primary melee weapon when
> Rodney shows up next to me.

An interesting piece of arithmetic someone should do. For a high level
character:

What is the average damage of d5 blessed poisoned +7 elven arrows? I
believe strength and skill damage bonuses should be added once for each
individual arrow.

How does that compare with the average damage of the blessed +7 Frostbrand?

Remembering here that some monsters are cold resistant, some (Rodney
included) poison resistant.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:22:41 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:17:19 GMT, S <NONO@NONE.com> wrote:

>invalid@invalid.invalid says...
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:30 GMT, Andrew Kerr
>> <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> >Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
>> >>
>> >I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-
>> >

>> For those of you enamoured of #twoweapon, (and who isn't? ;^)
>> consider the ability to fire multiple projectiles per move as the
>> equivalent to #twoweapon. Or #three weapon.
>>

>> Expert Elven rangers using an elven bow/arrows will *average*
>> three arrows per firing. And arrows, like all projectile
>> weapons, can still be used at melee range. #twoweapon can't be
>> used past one square of distance away. (Or can it? What about
>> lances? Aren't they the only one-handed polearm?)
>

>How useful are distance weapons on Astral (or in Moloch's Sanctum, for
>that matter)?

Are ranged weapons no longer favored to take out the High
Priest of Moloch from outside the temple in Moloch's Sanctum?

Aren't ranged weapons better if one (or more ;-) covetous
monsters show up to contest for the Amulet of Yendor. Plink
at 'em from outside the Temple until all but one are dead.
(With no nasty effects from Moloch's lightning. :-)

On Astral, do you really prefer going fighting the Riders at
melee range to killing them from a distance?

>If he's trying to ascend, his most likely problems will be in the
>Sanctum, on Air, and on Astral. Two of the three aren't good candidates
>for ranged weapons.

Well, the Sanctum is, due to wanting to attack/kill the high
priest from outside the Temple. Astral is because you don't want
to go toe to toe with the Riders.

The graveyard in Moloch's Sanctum should either be stealthily
and invisibly/displacedly snuck through, or bypassed with the
"Here I am again!" trick.

If snuck through, firing volleys of arrows to clear a nice
straight path on a diagonal with none of the monsters being able
to hit back seems a good idea. Killing the monsters on the
path one by one in melee just opens up the character to getting
hit back.

The "elbow" path into the area around the temple can best be
cleared with a wand of teleport and #jumping. That's three zaps
and three #jumps at best.

Then #jump around monsters and the temple, zapping wands of
light and secret door detection to find the entrance to the
temple.

Then open the door, and used ranged weapons to kill the High
Priest of Moloch from outside the temple, avoiding all that
unpleasantness that Moloch deals out if you attack his high
priest while you're inside his temple.

On the Plane of air you should be using levitation, conflict,
cursed/confused scrolls of gold detection, being very fast,
displacement/invisibility, and wands of teleport/polymorph/death
to get through as fast as possible.

You shouldn't be using ranged *or* melee weapons on the
Ascension run if you can help it. You shouldn't need to
fight on the Plane of Air because there are more effective ways
of dealing with monsters blocking you.

And since there are no "choke points" on the Plane of Air,
dodge around monsters and get to the portal before enough
monsters get generated to fill up the Plane.

If you get engulfed by an Air Elemental a wand of polymorph/
teleport/death is more effective than any weapon, ranged or not.

If you get engulfed by a vortex, just rest. ;^)

Wasting time with unnecessary fighting is a bad idea on all
counts.

>Also, YMMV but I'd prefer to be wielding my primary melee weapon when
>Rodney shows up next to me.

A lot of players seem to feel that a wand of death instakill
is the best way to deal with Rodney. With an immediate instakill
you don't have to worry about double-trouble. You also don't
have to worry about Rodney teleporting away to heal. (But if
that's your security blanket, more power to you. ;-)

(I don't really know if Rodney teleports away to heal, because
I kill him the instant he shows up. Dead monsters neither
teleport nor heal. :-)

The "run up and hit the monster" mentality is good for getting
your character killed. Killing the monster from a distance,
before it can hit you...well, what could be better? :-D

And if, as you may be doing, you are arguing that he shouldn't
be fighting on the Ascension Run, then we're in complete
agreement. (And it doesn't really matter which weapon(s) he
*doesn't* fight with at the time. ;-)

If you're saying that a melee weapon is always a better idea
than a ranged weapon, I'm saying that hitting a monster when it
can't hit you back is a pretty good idea, and very tough to beat.
(Especially since you can still switch to the melee weapon if/
when the monster gets that close. ;^)

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:27:50 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:14:09 GMT, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <njgji1tuhup3tt8tpo32goa1kcuoi9p65k@4ax.com>, Jove
><invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
>> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:31:30 GMT, Andrew Kerr
>> <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <1126548079.316059.253940@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> >Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
>> >>
>> >I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:-
>> >
>> >There is actually very little point in enchanting missile launchers (bows,
>> >crossbows, slings). It adds to the to-hit chances, but at Expert and high
>> >XP level you won't miss anyway. It does not add to the damage. Stack up
>> >large numbers of arrows and enchant them instead. Arrow enchantments go
>> >towards both to-hit and damage. This is damage per arrow, so if you're
>> >firing d4 arrows per turn (average 2.5) each point of enchantment on the
>> >arrow stack adds an average 2.5 points of damage to each volley.
>>
>> And has anyone reminded TronSam that the Longbow of Diana can
>> be invoked? And what it does?
>
>He knows :)
>

>> Some comments on the "best" intervals for #invoking would also
>> not come amiss.
>
>Duh... every 1000 moves? I forget.
>>
>> Expert Elven rangers using an elven bow/arrows will *average*
>> three arrows per firing.
>
>:)
>
>> And arrows, like all projectile
>> weapons, can still be used at melee range. #twoweapon can't be
>> used past one square of distance away. (Or can it? What about
>> lances? Aren't they the only one-handed polearm?)
>
>Well, as you know lances aren't in the polearm category, but can be
>#applied in the same way. When #twoweaponing lances, the minimum of lance
>skill and #twoweapon skill is used in calculating #applying range. That
>does strike me as a little odd.
>
>> A b?oEW used on a stack of 10 arrows, will therefore add an
>> average total of 20 points of enchantment.
>
>... but you can't fire all 10 at once.

But you can fire all ten before a given monster gets within
melee range of you. As long as they can all be fired before
the a monster can hit you back, shouldn't that be what counts?

>IMHO the average increase per volley
>is a more useful comparison - so one b?oEW on an unenchanted arrow stack
>adds an average 6 points per volley for an elven ranger using elven arrows
>with an elven bow. This is a better increase than enchanting any artifact.

If they all hit the monster before the monster hits you....

Hence my point about firing as soon as you can, with as much as
you can, as often as you can, ideally:

- Detect the monster early
- Skilled spell of detect shows every monster on the level
for an extended number of turns.
- "Warning" shows monsters farther out than light from a
magic lamp will.
- Know range arrows will "reach out to" (I'd guess 5 minimum.)
- max strength to maximize that range
- Maneuver tactically so that when monster comes into line
of fire (and remember, arrows go past boulders/traps
unimpeded) it will be just within range and on a vertical
horizontal, or diagonal from you.
- Be (very) fast to get off as many arrow volleys as possible.
- Be as skilled as necessary to fire as many arrows per volley
as possible.

Firing off ten total arrows at a monster before the monster
gets to melee range seems very feasible.

And every arrow that hits gives you the enchantment damage
bonus.

>> And one poison dip can, of course, poison a whole stack of
>> arrows.
>>
>> Ditto one potion of holy water blessing a whole stack.
>
>And do bless them, or they are likely to disappear when fired.

A good point. Any improvement is better than none.

But my basic point remains that TronSam's not focussing on
improving the arrows with enchantments, etc. unless by some
miracle it starts raining ?oEW on him.

That's fine and reasonable and I agree completely.

But since he can get "free" arrows, fire them off and do what
he can with them instead of trying for the ultimate mega stack.
I think it's too late for that strategy.

This can soften up tough monsters and get them down to a size
where he can take them more easily with his melee weapons.
Then the wands of death/teleportation can be reserved for Rodney,
etc.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:23:44 PM

In article <MPG.1d946c5cc1893ee898973e@news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> says...
> An interesting piece of arithmetic someone should do. For a high level
> character:
>
> What is the average damage of d5 blessed poisoned +7 elven arrows? I
> believe strength and skill damage bonuses should be added once for each
> individual arrow.
>
> How does that compare with the average damage of the blessed +7 Frostbrand?

Assume strength 18 + skill Expert.

Strength bonus does not apply to missiles fired from launcher. Elves get a
plus 1 damage bonus when using elven bow and elven arrows.

ArrowStorm is a stack of blessed poisoned +7 elven arrows fired from an
elven bow by an elven ranger.

SilverStorm is a stack of blessed +7 silver arrows fired from any bow by
any ranger. All arrows are assumed to hit.

# Small monsters vulnerable to cold and poison, ignoring poison instakills:

Frostbrand : 2 [artifact bonus] * ( d8 [sword base] + 7 [enchantment] ) + 2
[skill] + 2 [strength] = 2 * ( d8 ) + 18
Average : 27

ArrowStorm : d5 [number of arrows] * ( d7 + 7 + d6 [poison] + 2 + 1 [racial
bonus] )
Average : 3 * ( 4 + 7 + 3.5 + 2 + 1) = 52.5

# Large monsters vulnerable to cold and poison, ignoring poison instakills:

Frostbrand : 2 * ( d12 + 7 ) + 2 + 2
Average : 31

ArrowStorm : d5 * ( d6 + 7 + d6 + 2 + 1 )
Average : 3 * ( 3.5 + 7 + 3.5 + 2 + 1 ) = 51

# Large Demons:

Frostbrand : 2 * ( d12 + 7 ) + 2 + 2 + d4 [blessed]
Average : 33.5

ArrowStorm : d5 * ( d6 + 7 + 2 + 1 + d4 )
Average : 48

SilverStorm : d4 * ( d6 + 7 + 2 + d4 + d20 )
Average : 2.5 * ( 3.5 + 7 + 2 + 2.5 + 10.5 ) = 63.75

Calculating standard deviations is left as an exercise for the reader.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 3:53:23 AM

An update!

Taking the advice of this group, I once again ventured back to Mine
Town to see what could be salvaged. Having recently discovered that
magic traps raise charisma occasionally, I boosted that to 18 just in
case I needed it. (I generally don't do foocubi and Sirius II has long
since slaughtered every shopkeeper in the game.) I picked up a pile of
blank scrolls I had stashed away earlier on the way down, and was
delighted to discover a magic marker (0:83) nearby. I used this to do
a myriad of nifty things, including heavily raising my AC and HP
(through reverse-genoing nurses), and fully charging Frost Brand, now
my preferred weapon. As a backup, I also fully charged Stormbringer,
and I have it waiting in my BoH (I do wish I could #twoweapon - +7
Frosty and +7 Stormy would be a killer combo (as an aside, wouldn't
artifacts reject being the offhand weapon in a #twoweapon scheme? I
don't think they'd want to play second fiddle)). I found a wand of
enlightenment along the way, so I can share a little more info with you
guys.

Current Attributes:

You are the Glory of Arioch.
You are piously aligned.
You are fire resistant.
You are cold resistant.
You are sleep resistant.
You are disintegration-resistant.
You are shock resistant.
You are poison resistant.
You are magic-protected.
You see invisible.
You are telepathic.
You have automatic searching.
You have infravision.
You are invisible to others.
You are displaced.
You are stealthy.
You can jump.
You can teleport.
You have teleport control.
You are protected.
You are polymorphed into an Aleax.
You can not change from your current form.
You are fast.
You have free action.
You are extremely lucky.
You have extra luck.
Good luck does not time out for you.
You can safely pray.

Lathanel the Aleax St:18 Dx:18 Co:15 In:22 Wi:19 Ch:18
Chaotic
Dlvl:3 $:0 HP:269(269) Pw:186(186) AC:-53 HD:10 T:157378

Amulets
E - an uncursed amulet of unchanging (being worn)
Weapons
n - the blessed +7 Longbow of Diana (alternate weapon; not wielded)
v - 16 blessed +0 arrows (in quiver)
F - the blessed rustproof +7 Frost Brand (weapon in hand)
Armor
g - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
h - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of displacement (being worn)
j - a blessed burnt +4 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
r - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
T - a blessed +5 T-shirt (being worn)
Z - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
Rings
b - an uncursed ring of teleport control (on right hand)
K - an uncursed ring of free action (on left hand)
Tools
a - an uncursed magic whistle
f - an uncursed leash (in use)
m - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
q - a blessed greased bag of holding named SECONDARY
G - a blessed bag of holding named MAIN
Gems
y - a blessed luckstone

Contents of MAIN:

Amulets
a - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
b - an uncursed amulet of reflection
Weapons
c - a blessed rustproof +7 long sword named Orion's Might
d - the blessed rustproof +7 Stormbringer
e - the +0 Orcrist
f - an uncursed war hammer named Ogresmasher
g - an uncursed broadsword named Dragonbane
h - a blessed long sword named Fire Brand
Armor
i - an uncursed +0 pair of levitation boots
j - a blessed +1 pair of speed boots
Scrolls
k - 2 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
l - a cursed scroll of blank paper
m - 8 blessed scrolls of blank paper
n - 6 uncursed scrolls of gold detection
Spellbooks
o - a blessed spellbook of identify
p - a blessed spellbook of remove curse
q - an uncursed spellbook of create monster
a - an uncursed spellbook of invisibility
Potions
b - 2 potions of gain level
c - 5 potions of holy water
d - an uncursed potion of water
Rings
e - an uncursed ring of regeneration
f - a blessed ring of polymorph control
g - an uncursed rusty ring of levitation
h - an uncursed ring called polymorph
Wands
i - a wand of enlightenment (1:3)
j - a wand of undead turning (1:5)
k - a wand of undead turning (1:1)
l - a wand of digging (0:7)
m - a blessed wand of digging (0:7)
n - a wand of digging (0:4)
o - a rusty wand of teleportation (0:4)
p - a rusty wand of teleportation (0:3)
q - a wand of death (0:3)
r - a wand of death (0:5)
s - a wand of teleportation (0:4)
t - a blessed wand of digging (0:7)
u - a wand of digging (0:6)
a - a wand of death (0:6)
b - a wand of fire (0:7)
Tools
c - an uncursed towel
d - a magic marker (1:22)
e - an uncursed skeleton key
f - a stethoscope
g - a +0 pick-axe
Gems
h - 10 uncursed rubies
i - 13 uncursed diamonds
j - 2 blessed touchstones
k - a blessed luckstone

Contents of SECONDARY:

Comestibles
a - 62 C-rations

My spells, fully armored:

Name Level Category Fail
a - light 1* divination 90%
b - force bolt 1* attack 90%
c - extra healing 3* healing 96%
d - magic mapping 5 divination 90%
e - wizard lock 2* matter 90%
f - cone of cold 4* attack 100%
g - sleep 1* enchantment 90%
h - healing 1* healing 96%
i - detect monsters 1 divination 90%
j - fireball 4* attack 100%
k - slow monster 2* enchantment 90%
l - cause fear 3* enchantment 90%
m - magic missile 2* attack 90%
n - levitation 4 escape 100%
o - clairvoyance 3* divination 90%
p - detect treasure 4* divination 90%
q - invisibility 4 escape 85%
r - jumping 1* escape 90%
s - cure sickness 3 healing 96%
t - create monster 2* clerical 90%
u - detect unseen 3* divination 90%
v - restore ability 4* healing 100%
w - haste self 3* escape 90%
x - detect food 2* divination 90%
y - identify 3 divination 90%
z - cure blindness 2 healing 96%
A - create familiar 6* clerical 100%
B - protection 1* clerical 90%
C - dig 5* matter 100%
D - stone to flesh 3* healing 90%
E - charm monster 3 enchantment 90%
F - confuse monster 2 enchantment 90%

I'm still looking at collecting arrows like has been suggested above,
but I'm already bordering on burdened. Any more useful tips?

P.S. This is only my sixth game of Nethack so far, and this is the
first time I have what I believe is an ascension-worthy character. :)

P.P.S. May the twin lords of suffering, RNG and YANI, not strike me
down for my hubris above.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:26:42 AM

Dread lord YASD! Dread lord YASD!

Ooh, I'm gonna get it now.... :S
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:37:27 AM

Argh! Dread Lord YASD! Dread Lord YASD!

Ooh, I'm gonna get it now...
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:54:30 AM

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> Armor
> g - a blessed rustproof +5 large shield named rustproof (being worn)
> h - a blessed fireproof +4 cloak of displacement (being worn)
> j - a blessed burnt +4 pair of jumping boots (being worn)
> r - a blessed +5 gray dragon scale mail (being worn)
> x - a blessed corroded +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
> T - a blessed +5 T-shirt (being worn)
> Z - a blessed +1 pair of leather gloves (being worn)

Cloaks of displacement are only Magic Cancellation 2. MC3
is a lot safer (Cloak of Protection, Cloak of Magic Resistance,
Oilskin cloak, Elven cloak, Robe, or Mithril Armor). Also,
as Andrew Kerr points out, you really should have reflection
(Silver Dragon Scale Mail, Shield of Reflection, Amulet of
Reflection, or Longbow of Diana wielded as primary weapon).
SDSM+Cloak of Magic Resistance is a really good combination.

Good luck!
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 12:29:40 PM

In article news:<1127112803.690111.33930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
> as an aside, wouldn't
> artifacts reject being the offhand weapon in a #twoweapon scheme?

Yes, and they do.

> [inventory]

What happened to the shield of reflection? Reflection is conspicuous by its
abscence from your [in,ex]trinsics list, although you have everything else
AFAICS.

The spellbooks and most of your weapons can be stashed, so you can collect
arrows. You can of course keep most arrows in your BoH until you need to
enchant/use them. Personnally I would have used Firebrand as a spare melee
weapon, but no matter.

> P.P.S. May the twin lords of suffering, RNG and YANI, not strike me
> down for my hubris above.

I think you mean YASD, not YANI.
!