Athlon crashes at 1600x1200 in 3D

G

Ok. For those who have been following my previous posts about CPU overheating, I think I've eliminated that as an issue. My machine crashes apparently only occur when running openGL or DirectX graphics (at least so far) at 1600x1200. They do not appear to occur at 1280x1024. I've tried a variety of drivers. So far, changing drivers does not seem to help, but I'll know more after I test it later today.

System configuration:
Athlon 1333
GeForce2 Pro 64 MB (could this be causing system lockups?)
512 MB DDR SDRAM
MSI KTA266Pro MB with Via 266 chipset

Symptoms: system locks up when running at 1600x1200 running an OpenGL Screensaver or Deus Ex (which runs in Direct3D).

What might be wrong?

Thanks!

G

You've prolly tried this but have you tried uing the latest Nvidia Reference drivers?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Could be that your video card is overheating. Try testing with the case open and direct a case fan at the video card. You could also try underclocking the video card's GPU and memory reducing the work load. The former should help you determine if you have a heat problem. The latter, if successful, would eliminate software (like drivers) as the cause of the problem. If your games run at 1600x1024 but at slower speeds then you probably have a hardware instability. Likewise, you can do a similar test by underclocking the CPU and FSB. Good luck.

Latest posts