can't seem to get teleportitis

I've already eaten two nymphs, and no luck. Then I managed to hunt down
a leprechaun, and the idiot didn't even leave a corpse. Are higher level
characters more resistant to teleportitis or something? Oh well, at
least I can still use my ring of teleportation.

Anyway, I think I'm finally going to ascend this time - level 17 wizard,
full ascension kit, 3 spare wishes, and a pet purple worm. Finding a
spellbook of charm monster, then finding a polymorph trap on the next
level with a magic whistle lying two squares away definitely helped.
Being an "unstoppable killing machine" (to use Jove's expression) is fun
and boring at the same time; I just wish there was a faster way to
gather all the loot in Gehennom. Wait, wizards can cast detect treasure,
can't they? Yes, Virginia, wizards do rock.
5 answers Last reply
More about teleportitis

    anon wrote:
    > Anyway, I think I'm finally going to ascend this time - level 17 wizard,
    > full ascension kit, 3 spare wishes, and a pet purple worm.

    Do your best to become a level 30 wizard. The extra levels are VERY nice
    for a wizard (more power and much stronger powerful spells, plus
    #enhancement slots), and by this point you're not preventing any
    creatures from spawning by staying low level anyway.

    If I were you, I'd seriously consider using some wishes on magic
    markers, and then reverse genociding wraiths (or foocubi, if that's
    possible). Remember that the average correctly-gendered foocubi can
    grant you 5 levels (assuming high enough int/cha). I once actually got
    12 levels from a single incubus!

    On 13 Sep 2005 03:52:51 GMT, anon <anon@anonn.com> wrote:

    >I've already eaten two nymphs, and no luck. Then I managed to hunt down
    >a leprechaun, and the idiot didn't even leave a corpse. Are higher level
    >characters more resistant to teleportitis or something? Oh well, at
    >least I can still use my ring of teleportation.

    Keep trying. Leprechaun halls are useful to save for this
    occasion. Remember that you're just level 17, lose just one
    level and teleportitis isn't that much fun any more.

    Sure, most ways you're likely to lose an XP level let
    you gain it right back. Best not to risk it anyway.

    >Anyway, I think I'm finally going to ascend this time

    Paging Dread Lord YASD...paging Dread Lord YASD. :-D

    Don't think you're going to ascend, *decide* you're going to
    ascend. There are several YAFAP (mine among them ;^) where the
    player attributed success to deciding to ascend.

    >- level 17 wizard,
    >full ascension kit, 3 spare wishes, and a pet purple worm.

    XP level 30 is almost part of the Ascension Kit for wizards.
    For you it would make Magic Missile almost twice as effective:
    30 d6 damage instead of 17 d6 damage.

    So powerful that FoD can be reserved for instakills in
    emergencies. That way you can always give Rodney the "finger"
    when he shows up. :-D

    And when the AoY starts double draining Pw on spell casting,
    that could be important. The extra Pw (not to mention hitpoints)
    from leveling up could also come in handy.

    Probably too late now, anyway. :-(

    The three spare wishes, used for cockatrice corpses in dire
    emergencies, should make ascension very possible. Just be
    careful! (The secret to ascending.)

    >Finding a
    >spellbook of charm monster, then finding a polymorph trap on the next
    >level with a magic whistle lying two squares away definitely helped.

    Those can win the game for you all by themselves, if you let
    them. Someone praising tourists pointed out that +CM can convert
    enemies into allies.

    >Being an "unstoppable killing machine" (to use Jove's expression) is fun
    >and boring at the same time;

    Most of the best techniques for winning at Nethack are that
    way. So most players' instinctive/preferred actions just get
    them killed. Beating Nethack frequently involves outsmarting
    yourself.

    That may be why *deciding* to ascend is important. You're
    deciding to do the boring/unenjoyable things (like playing
    carefully ;^) that make ascension possible.

    It may also be why the "thinking optional" role of Valkyrie
    seems to work better for non-demigods. The instinctive tactic of
    "run up and hit it" works better for Valkyries than any other
    class.

    Thanks for the nod, but "unstoppable killing machine" didn't
    originate with me. (But it is a perfect description, isn't it?)

    Just remember that a) you're stoppable (;^) and b) you don't
    have to kill everything yourself, or even kill everything.

    I remember going back through the Gnomish mines once in a game.
    I'd gotten skilled detect monster/treasure/magic-mapping since
    I'd last been there to get the luckstone. So I was merrily
    casting them on each level of the Mines to see what I'd missed.

    The devastation was incredible to see in its entirety. Once
    highly populated active mines and an entire community just wiped
    out. No wonder you're considered to be the personification of
    War when you reach the Astral Plane.

    >I just wish there was a faster way to
    >gather all the loot in Gehennom. Wait, wizards can cast detect treasure,
    >can't they? Yes, Virginia, wizards do rock.

    Do they ever! Detect treasure, magic mapping, and controlled
    teleporting feel like cheating. (And it feels *gooood* the first
    time. ;^)

    Just early detect treasure can seem boring. No more exploring
    except to find the downstairs or an altar. Add magic mapping and
    you don't even bother with that anymore.

    To use a very appropriate phrase: "Wish you joy of it!"

    (See Patrick O'Brien's _Master and Commander_ series of books.)

    (No, they've nothing to do with Nethack. ;-)

    (They do have mermaids, though, sort of. Why can't we have
    mermaids in Nethack? Water born nymph equivalents. Steals your
    items and merrily swim away, diluting/blanking/rusting/rotting
    as she goes. And maybe you can ride them, getting experience
    at the same time. ;-)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove

    In article <8l0ei1ta25smq3dleoru8drejotqv846ps@4ax.com>, Jove
    <invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
    > No wonder you're considered to be the crefbavsvpngvba bs
    > Jne when you reach the Astral Plane.

    Oo, that's a plot spoiler, so I ROT13ed it.

    I was wondering where the sbhegu Ubefrzna bs gur Ncbpnylcfr ("evqre") had
    gotten to.

    Makes sense.

    Well,

    Tango with a tengu. Beside Teleportation, eating a tengu might give you
    teleport control (far better!)

    you get teleport control when you see
    "You feel in control of yourself."

    If you have problem locating creatures, read a cursed scroll of
    genocide. It will then generate a few of them for you.

    ananthi.dancing@gmail.com schreef:
    > Tango with a tengu. Beside Teleportation, eating a tengu might give you
    > teleport control (far better!)

    He's an XL17 wizard. He has already gotten TC simply by reaching that
    XL ;-)

Video Games