Athlon 1.4GHz Socket A 200FSB/266FSB

G

Hi, I am planning on making a new PC for myself. I was looking at the prices of CPUs to decide how fast my budget could aford, and I came across these:

Athlon 1.4GHz Socket A 200FSB
Athlon 1.4GHz Socket A 266FSB

What is the difference between those two? The prices are identical on the site I looked at (www.dabs.com). The motherboard will run at 133MHz I assume, so what is the two differences between the FSB of the CPUs? Does it mean I have to increase the FSB of my motherboard?

Thanks for any help :)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The 266MHz version runs with a bit faster FSB and thus performs better. However, to take advantage of this, you'll need a motherboard that can run at 133MHz FSB. KT133A, AMD760/761/760MP, ALi MAGiK 1, SiS735, KT266, and nForce chipsets are all capable of running at 133MHz FSB; the only chipsets not capable of 133MHz FSB are the older KT133 (without the "A" suffix; very common on older T-bird mobos) and the very first revision of the AMD760 chipset (used only on the Gigabyte GA-7DXC motherboard).

(BTW, nForce-based motherboards aren't actually out yet.)

If you're getting a new motherboard anyways, just make sure you're getting one that will support 133MHz FSB, and get yourself the "266FSB" version of the T-bird (referred to as an "Athlon C").

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."