YASD - Wand of Death

Just died in what was my best game yet.
Got a very successful protection run with my law-fem-dwa-valk. Found
an armor shop with ]oSpeed, +2 CoDisp, and more. Got my naked AC down
to 3.

Next I cleared out the mines, with a close call when I accidentally
stepped on a polymorph trap. I was turned into an iguana so I didn't
lose any valuables, and managed to revert to my normal form and get my
stash back. Found a V and read %oCharm Monster, and later did the same
with a Gargoyle. So I had some great pets, good AC, BoH.

Next, I finish Sokoban, but only get another BoH. Do some inventory
management, move my stash to first floor of sokoban, and lose the
tameness of both my pets :(
Still, I'm looking pretty good right now with AC of about -20, (naked 0
now), +6 Frost bane, Mojo & GoP, +1 Excal as backup weapon, !ofPoly
etc.
Now I want to finish the quest, which I found earlier, but I'm only on
lvl 13 so I need to kill some more beasties. Go down a few levels
(18-19) and encounter a Lich. That was a piece of cake, just throw a
!oParalysis, and then zap it with !oMMissile. Next up is a MMF, also a
milk-run, probably thanks to my "oFree Action. Just walk up to it and
hit it a few times.
Then of course I decide to explore a bit further, not knowing what the
deep levels have in store (my deepest descent yet). It just seemed
that nothing could touch me with my high AC and good weapons and
displacement.

I turn the corner; see a red '@', then "the sergeant zaps a death wand.
DYWYPI?"

Next time I won't go a step below the quest level until I have
reflection. Guess I should have taken my large loot of useless armor
and polypiled it in hopes of getting SDSM or Shield of Reflection. And
at least applied a towel when I stepped on level 22 to id potential
threats. Ah well, live'n'learn.

--
Thanks for listening,
Wolfram

    > Unless I'm missing something, why would the ring help? Or do you mean
    > sustain ability?

    Dunno, I just walked up to it and hit it two/three times and it died.
    No problems. Thought maybe that I got more hits in before it had time
    to hit back with the ring of Free action.

    Wolfram wrote:
    > Found a V and read %oCharm Monster, and later did the same with a
    > Gargoyle. So I had some great pets, good AC, BoH.

    You read a food ration of charm monster? ;)

    [snip]
    > Next up is a MMF, also a milk-run, probably thanks to my "oFree
    > Action. Just walk up to it and hit it a few times.

    Unless I'm missing something, why would the ring help? Or do you mean
    sustain ability?

    > Then of course I decide to explore a bit further, not knowing what
    > the deep levels have in store (my deepest descent yet). It just
    > seemed that nothing could touch me with my high AC and good weapons
    > and displacement.
    >
    > I turn the corner; see a red '@', then "the sergeant zaps a death
    > wand. DYWYPI?"
    >
    > Next time I won't go a step below the quest level until I have
    > reflection.

    I'm afraid that won't help. The proverbial gnome with a wand of death
    can show up before you even have a chance to get reflection.

    Wolfram wrote:

    > I turn the corner; see a red '@', then "the sergeant zaps a death wand.
    > DYWYPI?"

    That's no YASD rather YAAD; it's usually unavoidable. My condolence.

    > Next time I won't go a step below the quest level until I have
    > reflection. Guess I should have taken my large loot of useless armor
    > and polypiled it in hopes of getting SDSM or Shield of Reflection.

    Or any means of magic resistance.

    > And
    > at least applied a towel when I stepped on level 22 to id potential
    > threats. Ah well, live'n'learn.

    That's generally a good tactic, though won't help you, since that wand
    is often carried even by such harmless looking creatures like gnomes.

    Janis

    On 14 Sep 2005 10:03:02 -0700, "Wolfram" <johannm@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Just died in what was my best game yet.
    >Got a very successful protection run with my law-fem-dwa-valk. Found
    >an armor shop with ]oSpeed, +2 CoDisp, and more. Got my naked AC down
    >to 3.
    >
    >Next I cleared out the mines, with a close call when I accidentally
    >stepped on a polymorph trap. I was turned into an iguana so I didn't
    >lose any valuables, and managed to revert to my normal form and get my
    >stash back. Found a V and read %oCharm Monster, and later did the same
    >with a Gargoyle. So I had some great pets, good AC, BoH.
    >
    >Next, I finish Sokoban, but only get another BoH. Do some inventory
    >management, move my stash to first floor of sokoban, and lose the
    >tameness of both my pets :(
    >Still, I'm looking pretty good right now with AC of about -20, (naked 0
    >now), +6 Frost bane, Mojo & GoP, +1 Excal as backup weapon, !ofPoly
    >etc.
    >Now I want to finish the quest, which I found earlier, but I'm only on
    >lvl 13 so I need to kill some more beasties. Go down a few levels
    >(18-19) and encounter a Lich. That was a piece of cake, just throw a
    >!oParalysis, and then zap it with !oMMissile. Next up is a MMF, also a
    >milk-run, probably thanks to my "oFree Action. Just walk up to it and
    >hit it a few times.
    >Then of course I decide to explore a bit further, not knowing what the
    >deep levels have in store (my deepest descent yet). It just seemed
    >that nothing could touch me with my high AC and good weapons and
    >displacement.
    >
    >I turn the corner; see a red '@', then "the sergeant zaps a death wand.
    > DYWYPI?"
    >
    >Next time I won't go a step below the quest level until I have
    >reflection. Guess I should have taken my large loot of useless armor
    >and polypiled it in hopes of getting SDSM or Shield of Reflection. And
    >at least applied a towel when I stepped on level 22 to id potential
    >threats. Ah well, live'n'learn.

    Don't you mean "die and learn?" ;^)

    Play a wizard and you're starting cloak of magic resistance
    will protect you from wands of death. (That's why my wizards
    die to wands of cold/fire/lightning in Sokoban instead. ;-)

    I'd say that since you had displacement, you were unlucky
    indeed.

    There's a reason "the gnome with a wand of death" is
    proverbial. It's annoying and there's nothing you can do
    to be sure of preventing it except play a wizard. (And then
    the gnome's friend with a wand of fire shows up. ;-)

    I think Marvin tries to never be in the line of fire of
    any monster that could be carrying a ranged instadeath attack.

    This situation is why YAAD is an accepted acronym. You should
    have used YAAD instead of YASD.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove

    Thanks for the correction. In this case, I wasn't sure which acronym
    to use, but decided to err on the side of self-deprecation. (I thought
    I had read somewhere that on levels 20+ you could expect to run into
    soldiers with wands of death.)

    I am also quite sure that if I had labeled the post 'YAAD', some
    helpful soul would have critizised me for that, listing all the things
    that I could have performed to avoid this YA[AS]D

    --
    Wolfram
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > The one thing you might have done is do Sokoban first. 50/50
    > chance of getting something that makes you wand of death/fire/
    > cold/lightning proof.

    I did, and got 2nd BoH (see original post).

    > It doesn't matter what you post, we'll happily criticize it.
    > (For instance, since you didn't quote and context or whom you're
    > replying to I making assumptions about both. ;^)

    I always try to quote context, but forgot in this case.

    > Not quoting context means lack of respect both ways. ;^)

    Or just a simple slip-up ;)

    --
    Thx,

    Wolfram
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 15 Sep 2005 08:09:10 -0700, "Wolfram" <johannm@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the correction. In this case, I wasn't sure which acronym
    >to use, but decided to err on the side of self-deprecation. (I thought
    >I had read somewhere that on levels 20+ you could expect to run into
    >soldiers with wands of death.)

    The one thing you might have done is do Sokoban first. 50/50
    chance of getting something that makes you wand of death/fire/
    cold/lightning proof.

    Think about it for your next game.

    > I am also quite sure that if I had labeled the post 'YAAD', some
    >helpful soul would have critizised me for that, listing all the things
    >that I could have performed to avoid this YA[AS]D

    It doesn't matter what you post, we'll happily criticize it.
    (For instance, since you didn't quote and context or whom you're
    replying to I making assumptions about both. ;^)

    (If you were someone with a long respectable reputation...
    No, I still wouldn't bother checking the reference message IDs.
    Not quoting context means lack of respect both ways. ;^)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 16 Sep 2005 04:06:27 -0700, "Wolfram" <johannm@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >> The one thing you might have done is do Sokoban first. 50/50
    >> chance of getting something that makes you wand of death/fire/
    >> cold/lightning proof.
    >
    >I did, and got 2nd BoH (see original post).

    My apologies. Ya got messed over.

    Still, for a game that end's in character death, "It wasn't
    my fault." is not a bad conclusion to learn from it.
    (Well, in a way it is, because that won't necessarily improve
    your game play. But it might make you feel better. ;^)

    >> It doesn't matter what you post, we'll happily criticize it.
    >> (For instance, since you didn't quote and context or whom you're
    >> replying to I making assumptions about both. ;^)
    >
    >I always try to quote context, but forgot in this case.
    >
    >> Not quoting context means lack of respect both ways. ;^)
    >
    >Or just a simple slip-up ;)

    Slipping up can mean a lack of respect. I rarely slip
    up against nymphs or (master) mindflayers in NetHack because
    I respect the damage they can do to a game.

    It was a long time before I acquired the same respect
    for character death (i.e. took anything like the same
    pains to avoid it), perhaps because with a dead character
    I could always start up a new character with exciting new
    possibilities. (M)MFs and nymphs (and rust monsters) remove
    already fulfilled possibilities.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove