would I need a video card update?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 7, 2004 3:04:53 PM

I look at a lot of charts every day and at times my system delays rendering
the images. Would upgrading my video card help in any way speed up the
rendering? What card upgrade would be worth while? What would be overkill?
(I do not play games, watch movies, or photographs on this machine.)

(Using a 32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS video card on a Dell Dimension 4100,
PIII 1gig, 512 megs of RAM, Windows 2000 Pro, 80 gig hard disk, cable modem
connection.)

thank you

More about : video card update

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 3:04:54 PM

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
news:p Bg%c.4929$as.1987698@twister.nyc.rr.com...

> I look at a lot of charts every day and at times my system delays
> rendering
> the images. Would upgrading my video card help in any way speed up
> the
> rendering? What card upgrade would be worth while? What would be
> overkill?
> (I do not play games, watch movies, or photographs on this machine.)
>
> (Using a 32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS video card on a Dell Dimension
> 4100,
> PIII 1gig, 512 megs of RAM, Windows 2000 Pro, 80 gig hard disk, cable
> modem
> connection.)
>
> thank you

I disagree with the advice about your video card. Static graphics
should be no problem whatsoever with your current card unless each
graphic is being opened in its own window and you keep many windows
opened - a newer video card will not help. What is the source and the
rendering program for the charts? Is this an on-line source; if so, the
problem could be a very large temp internet files. Run Disk Cleanup -
what does it tell you about the total size of temp and temp internet
files? What is running in the background? What startup programs? Have
you defragged the drive and have free space? If you have many windows
open when the problem occurs, it might be a simple shortage of
RAM/paging file.

September 7, 2004 3:11:59 PM

Dell tech support said I could only go up to a 64 MB card on this system.

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
news:p Bg%c.4929$as.1987698@twister.nyc.rr.com...

> I look at a lot of charts every day and at times my system delays
rendering
> the images. Would upgrading my video card help in any way speed up the
> rendering? What card upgrade would be worth while? What would be
overkill?
> (I do not play games, watch movies, or photographs on this machine.)
>
> (Using a 32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS video card on a Dell Dimension
4100,
> PIII 1gig, 512 megs of RAM, Windows 2000 Pro, 80 gig hard disk, cable
modem
> connection.)
>
> thank you

a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 3:12:00 PM

> Dell tech support said I could only go up to a 64 MB card on this system.
>

> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:p Bg%c.4929$as.1987698@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>>
>> I look at a lot of charts every day and at times my system delays
> rendering
>> the images. Would upgrading my video card help in any way speed up the
>> rendering? What card upgrade would be worth while? What would be
> overkill?
>> (I do not play games, watch movies, or photographs on this machine.)
>>
>> (Using a 32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS video card on a Dell Dimension
> 4100,
>> PIII 1gig, 512 megs of RAM, Windows 2000 Pro, 80 gig hard disk, cable
> modem
>> connection.)
>>
>> thank you

I've used a 2x/4x/8x NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200, 128mb in a 1X/2X Dimension
4100. That suggests to me what you've been told is just plain wrong.
You've a 4x AGP slot, and you should be able to use most any 8x card that is
4x backwards compatible.

And yes, your 32mb card (by current standards) is far out of date. You
should be able to find a good 128mb card for around $100....

www.newegg.com

Stew
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 3:12:00 PM

I don't buy that at all. The reason they may have stated that was the AGP 8X
of the newer cards. But any video card is backward compatible and will
accommodate systems with AGP 4X for example. A 128 MB card will work without
a problem and I would not consider anything less if you need higher
resolution. Now keep in mind that your monitor type has some bearing on this
as well. If you go up in resolution but the monitor cannot handle the higher
resolution then it is a waste of money. You can always pick up a card at
Staples or Best Buy since they have very good return policies. If you are
not happy with the results then you can return it. I always make sure that
the return policy is good before trying out new hardware. On a Dell it could
mean memory that may not be compatible (has happened more than once).

BTW, search the Dell forums and you will find many many posts from users who
have upgraded to 128 MB cards on their 4100.

Regards,
John O.

"bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> Dell tech support said I could only go up to a 64 MB card on this system.
>

> "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:p Bg%c.4929$as.1987698@twister.nyc.rr.com...
>>
>> I look at a lot of charts every day and at times my system delays
> rendering
>> the images. Would upgrading my video card help in any way speed up the
>> rendering? What card upgrade would be worth while? What would be
> overkill?
>> (I do not play games, watch movies, or photographs on this machine.)
>>
>> (Using a 32 MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS video card on a Dell Dimension
> 4100,
>> PIII 1gig, 512 megs of RAM, Windows 2000 Pro, 80 gig hard disk, cable
> modem
>> connection.)
>>
>> thank you

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2004 4:42:29 AM

> I disagree with the advice about your video card. Static graphics
> should be no problem whatsoever with your current card unless each
> graphic is being opened in its own window and you keep many windows
> opened - a newer video card will not help.

I`d tend to agree with that myself - has the machine been scanned for
malware / trojans / viruses lately / does it seem at all sluggish in any
other way ?

One machine I was called in to fix took 6 *hours* to boot up, and each
mouse click took 10-15 minutes per click to register - and it only had
Gator on there ! (although it had trashed the registry as well)

One quick swoop of Spybot S&D and it now runs sweet as a nut.