Question about YANIs and the DevTeam

I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
.. do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually? Assuming the posters
of the YANIs/patches aren't also emailing their ideas directly to the
DevTeam, does the DevTeam follow this newsgroup closely enough that
they become aware of them?

On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
updates?

I submitted a YANI to the DevTeam about 5 months ago, and received word
back about a month later that it had been implemented into the next
release. So they're still around, and believe it or not, they are
working on updates for the next release.

micromoog wrote:
> I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
> . do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually? Assuming the posters
> of the YANIs/patches aren't also emailing their ideas directly to the
> DevTeam, does the DevTeam follow this newsgroup closely enough that
> they become aware of them?
>
> On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
> if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
> accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
> updates?

Lack of updates?

If lack of updates were the only way we could tell whether or not
they're alive, they've been dead for a LONG time, with brief periods of
resurrection and more death.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

On 14 Sep 2005 13:25:46 -0700, "micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
>. do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually?

Sometimes, but usually not.

>Assuming the posters
>of the YANIs/patches aren't also emailing their ideas directly to the
>DevTeam, does the DevTeam follow this newsgroup closely enough that
>they become aware of them?

You probably want to e-mail DevTeam directly and ask *them*.
Who else would know, really?

>On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
>if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
^^^^^

I resent being called a freak. And I was nowhere near the
place. You don't have any witnesses. You can't prove a thing.

>accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
>updates?

Check for news of known DevTeam members.

--
All the best,

Jove

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Zarel wrote:

> micromoog wrote:
> > I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
> > . do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually? Assuming the posters
> > of the YANIs/patches aren't also emailing their ideas directly to the
> > DevTeam, does the DevTeam follow this newsgroup closely enough that
> > they become aware of them?
> >
> > On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
> > if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
> > accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
> > updates?
> >

> Lack of updates?
>
> If lack of updates were the only way we could tell whether or not
> they're alive, they've been dead for a LONG time, with brief periods of
> resurrection and more death.

Maybe they've choosed to have their deathspan splited into tiny bits
separated by small live periods rather than having the whole infinity of
deathspan put together after the end (and before the beginning) of their
lifes.

Maybe, that's even be a feature in some future version of Nethack where
you'll only play turn whose number is even (or prime, or anything else you
might want).

(and maybe I should turn off that computer and go to bed)

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

Zarel <nospam@mailinator.com> kirjoitti 14.09.2005:
> micromoog wrote:
>>
>> On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
>> if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
>> accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
>> updates?
>
> Lack of updates?
>
> If lack of updates were the only way we could tell whether or not
> they're alive, they've been dead for a LONG time, with brief periods of
> resurrection and more death.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons even
death may die..."?

--
Ilmari Karonen
To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.

seraphim

"micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote in news:1126729546.385770.69730
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
> . do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually?

Sometimes they do. I think the odds are greatly enhanced if someone
actually makes a patch for the YANI.
There are two features in the current version that IIRC came from YANIs
posted here:
1) Eating a newt may cause a small increase in power (eye of newt)
2) A eucalyptus leaf can be used as a whistle

Seraphim wrote:

> "micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote in news:1126729546.385770.69730
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>>I've seen a lot of YANIs and patches come and go in this newsgroup . .
>>. do these tend to appear in vanilla eventually?
>
> Sometimes they do. I think the odds are greatly enhanced if someone
> actually makes a patch for the YANI.
> There are two features in the current version that IIRC came from YANIs
> posted here:
> 1) Eating a newt may cause a small increase in power (eye of newt)
> 2) A eucalyptus leaf can be used as a whistle

3) Items put into containers merge.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Ilmari Karonen <usenet@vyznev.invalid> wrote:

> Zarel <nospam@mailinator.com> kirjoitti 14.09.2005:
> > micromoog wrote:
> >>
> >> On that note, is anyone really sure the DevTeam still exists? I mean,
> >> if they were all wiped out by a freak simultaneous multi-national bus
> >> accident, would we have any way of knowing that other than a lack of
> >> updates?
> >
> > Lack of updates?
> >
> > If lack of updates were the only way we could tell whether or not
> > they're alive, they've been dead for a LONG time, with brief periods of
> > resurrection and more death.
>
> "That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons even
> death may die..."?

Iah! Tedto-eh! Shub-DevTeem!

Richard

In article <dgcgrp$l1u$1@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>, Topi Linkala <nes@iki.fi>
says...
> 3) Items put into containers merge.

I'd consider that more of a bug fix than a YANI. I remember playing 3.2.2
as a(n almost) unspoiled player, and the items not merging thing was very
annoying.