Where to download really old version of Nethack?

Last response: in Video Games
September 15, 2005 1:28:47 AM

Okay, so the first time I played this game was in the late 80's,
probably 88 or so. I got it from a diskette that I bought, some cheap
"buy shareware! Guaranteed virus-free" dealy, 5 1/4 floppy, of course.
Played it on the XT clone for ages, what fun a 40mb hard drive is.

Loaned it to a friend, who lost it.

Couldn't save back onto floppy when I got rid of the 'puter, the
program had grown too big.

SO...

Where the heck would I find this OLD version? (Not that I don't like
the current one, I love it!!)

Yes, I know I would need DOS to play it, and it probably won't work,
but I want to anyways.

Mark
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:59:39 AM

Mr. Moose wrote:

> Okay, so the first time I played this game was in the late 80's,
> probably 88 or so. I got it from a diskette that I bought, some cheap
> "buy shareware! Guaranteed virus-free" dealy, 5 1/4 floppy, of course.
> Played it on the XT clone for ages, what fun a 40mb hard drive is.

[snip]

> Yes, I know I would need DOS to play it, and it probably won't work,
> but I want to anyways.

Several older Hacks and NetHacks are available at

http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/source.html

Those are mostly in source code form, and many are not well adapted even for
MS-DOS, let alone Windows; but if you can load up a Linux distro, and are
willing to tinker a bit, you should be able to build any of them.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.

"Mr. Moose" <lorimar1@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Okay, so the first time I played this game was in the late 80's,
> probably 88 or so. I got it from a diskette that I bought, some cheap
> "buy shareware! Guaranteed virus-free" dealy, 5 1/4 floppy, of course.
> Played it on the XT clone for ages, what fun a 40mb hard drive is.
>
> Loaned it to a friend, who lost it.
>
> Couldn't save back onto floppy when I got rid of the 'puter, the
> program had grown too big.
>
> SO...
>
> Where the heck would I find this OLD version? (Not that I don't like
> the current one, I love it!!)
>
> Yes, I know I would need DOS to play it, and it probably won't work,
> but I want to anyways.
>
> Mark

Try the original nethack page, it has links back to 3.2.3
http://www.nethack.org/common/index.html
September 15, 2005 4:35:47 AM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:28:47 GMT, Mr. Moose
<lorimar1@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Okay, so the first time I played this game was in the late 80's,
>probably 88 or so. I got it from a diskette that I bought, some cheap
>"buy shareware! Guaranteed virus-free" dealy, 5 1/4 floppy, of course.
>Played it on the XT clone for ages, what fun a 40mb hard drive is.
>
>Loaned it to a friend, who lost it.
>
>Couldn't save back onto floppy when I got rid of the 'puter, the
>program had grown too big.
>
>SO...
>
>Where the heck would I find this OLD version? (Not that I don't like
>the current one, I love it!!)
>
>Yes, I know I would need DOS to play it, and it probably won't work,
>but I want to anyways.
>
>Mark

Sounds more like the version of Hack that I played about that
same timeframe than Nethack.

Try
<http://www.google.com/Top/Games/Video_Games/Roleplaying...;

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:18:02 PM

In news:<7U2We.11723$9i4.6320@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>, St.John
<kvc627@optonline.net> says...
> "Mr. Moose" <lorimar1@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Okay, so the first time I played this game was in the late 80's,
> > probably 88 or so. I got it from a diskette that I bought, some cheap
> > "buy shareware! Guaranteed virus-free" dealy, 5 1/4 floppy, of course.
> > Played it on the XT clone for ages, what fun a 40mb hard drive is.
[snip]
> > Where the heck would I find this OLD version? (Not that I don't like
> > the current one, I love it!!)
> > Yes, I know I would need DOS to play it, and it probably won't work,
> > but I want to anyways.
> Try the original nethack page, it has links back to 3.2.3
> http://www.nethack.org/common/index.html

1988-ish means 2.x era. OP could get it in source-form at
http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/source.html.
(3.2.3/3.3.0 was released in December 1999, 3.x era began in mid 1989,
2.x era in late 1987, 1.x hmm don't remember.)

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung ab bar xabjf rirelguvat nobhg rirelguvat va gur qhatrba.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:59:39 +0000, Ray Chason
<johnnyreb.5@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> wrote:

>Several older Hacks and NetHacks are available at
>
>http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/source.html
>
>Those are mostly in source code form, and many are not well adapted even for
>MS-DOS, let alone Windows; but if you can load up a Linux distro, and are
>willing to tinker a bit, you should be able to build any of them.

Hmm - any links to sites that explain what you just said to me? :)

Thanks for the info, though - good to see that these source codes are
still around.

Mark
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 8:32:11 PM

Mr. Moose wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:59:39 +0000, Ray Chason
> <johnnyreb.5@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> wrote:
>
>>Several older Hacks and NetHacks are available at
>>
>>http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/source.html
>>
>>Those are mostly in source code form, and many are not well adapted even
>>for MS-DOS, let alone Windows; but if you can load up a Linux distro, and
>>are willing to tinker a bit, you should be able to build any of them.
>
> Hmm - any links to sites that explain what you just said to me? :)

If you didn't understand me, I guess we can forget about that Linux
distribution :-/ I don't know how much you know about programming
computers, so I'll try to make this as basic as possible at the risk of
seeming to talk down to you.

The files on that site are not usable programs. They are _source code_,
that is, instructions given to a _compiler_ to tell it how to build a
program. The output of a compiler is often called a _binary_ or an
_executable_, and this is the file that you pass to your computer when you
want to play NetHack, or edit a Word document, or read Usenet, etc.

Programs are developed and maintained in this way because it is next to
impossible to build a non-Mickey-Mouse program by creating the binary
directly. Not even the DevTeam is quite that 'L33t.

The older NetHack sources were never meant to be used under DOS, and
certainly not under Windows. They were developed for the Unix-like systems
of their era. They can be made to work, but you have to know what you are
doing.

Getting them to work as native Windows programs, by which I mean binaries
specifically meant to run on Windows, would require substantial changes to
the code. If you do try to build a NetHack from these sources, you'd best
stick with building an MS-DOS version, and perhaps use the PC Hack sources
or one of the later versions; NetHack 2.3e shows some effort to make it
work with DOS.

You may remember having to set up ANSI.SYS to run NetHack under DOS. That's
still true under Windows. The file you need to edit is

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT

and the line you need to add is

DEVICE=%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\ANSI.SYS

--