YANI: The Identification shop

Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
description.

Unlike other shops, Casimir does not sell items. Rather, he sells
knowledge. If you come into his shop and chat with him, he will
completely identify one object in your inventory .. for a price, of
course.

The downside, of course, is that Casimir's services do not come
cheap... the consultation is a flat 5000 gold pieces (or whatever price
seems unreasonably high to the dev team) regardless of whether he's
identifying a flint stone or a scroll of genocide. He also will
identify ONE thing and one thing only.

The idea is to make the price so high that adventurers will not
normally patronize his shop. Casimir is expensive, scrolls of identify
are cheap. And it's unnecessary if you can cast identify yourself.

The advantage is there is one place in the dungeon -- if you find it --
where you KNOW you can get an identify done. An expensive identify,
yes, but a guaranteed identify nonetheless. If it seems to balance
things too much in the player's direction, we simply jack up the price
until game balance is restored.

Casimir is a minimum level 14 wizard carrying a selection of magic
items and (of course) a blessed spellbook of identify. There are also
a number of "curious" artifacts in his shop, since he is a collector of
the strange and unusual. Robbing him is definitely worthwhile, IF you
survive, since he is a powerful spellcaster and also carries some
really nasty things (wand of death? wand of polymorph?) and isn't
afraid to use 'em.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

In article <1126790658.610950.293450@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<pendell@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
>up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
>knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
>description.
>
>Unlike other shops, Casimir does not sell items. Rather, he sells
>knowledge. If you come into his shop and chat with him, he will
>completely identify one object in your inventory .. for a price, of
>course.

I think you want to play Slash'EM :)

Cheers,

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
> up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
> knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
> description.

I think he should wear a carrot suit.

If you get the reference I'm making here, then you have serious gaming
mojo....

- John H.

On 15 Sep 2005 14:50:14 -0700, "John H." <JohnWH@gmail.com>
wrote:

>pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
>> up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
>> knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
>> description.
>
>I think he should wear a carrot suit.
>
>If you get the reference I'm making here, then you have serious gaming
>mojo....

Movie Mojo maybe. Gaming mojo?

(James Arness' first movie role. ;-)

--
All the best,

Jove

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
> up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
> knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
> description.

The key to winning NetHack is identifying objects. Why do you suppose
the spellbook of identify is so often wished for? I doubt the Dev Team
will implement this, since it makes the game *so* much easier.

--
Boudewijn.

"Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Why do you suppose
> the spellbook of identify is so often wished for?

Because many players make poor decisions; that's why dex gloves and rings
of slow digestion are also often wished for.

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Rast wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > Why do you suppose
> > the spellbook of identify is so often wished for?
>
> Because many players make poor decisions; that's why dex gloves and rings
> of slow digestion are also often wished for.

+Identify, =SD, and Bag of Holding are great wishes IMO because they
have some of the highest "fun for the value" payoff. They decrease
tedium and increase time spent enjoyably.

Quoting sjdevnull@yahoo.com <sjdevnull@yahoo.com>:
>Rast wrote:
>>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>>Why do you suppose the spellbook of identify is so often wished for?
>>Because many players make poor decisions; that's why dex gloves and rings
>>of slow digestion are also often wished for.
>+Identify, =SD, and Bag of Holding are great wishes IMO because they
>have some of the highest "fun for the value" payoff. They decrease
>tedium and increase time spent enjoyably.

Call me old-fashioned, but I quite enjoy playing the game anyway and would
prefer to wish for the stuff that makes it likely that I will win, and I
think that's what's under discussion here.

[And slow digestion, huh? Eating a monster corpse every now and then is
terribly tedious? I don't get it.]
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Monday, September.

On 9/19/05 1:44 PM, sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> Rast wrote:
>
>>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>
>>> Why do you suppose
>>>the spellbook of identify is so often wished for?
>>
>>Because many players make poor decisions; that's why dex gloves and rings
>>of slow digestion are also often wished for.
>
> +Identify, =SD, and Bag of Holding are great wishes IMO because they
> have some of the highest "fun for the value" payoff. They decrease
> tedium and increase time spent enjoyably.

I love the fact that gauntlets of dexterity were *not* defended here. It
would be nice if they contributed to spellcasting success. As it is,
they're useless. (For values of "useless" equivalent to "no more useful
than ordinary leather gloves.")

--
Kevin Wayne

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."
--Miracle Max

"John H." <JohnWH@gmail.com> wrote in news:1126821014.235329.116530
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Knowing the difficulty of identifying things, Casimir the wizard set
>> up shop in the dungeons of doom to make his fortune from his vast
>> knowledge of artifacts, objects, scrolls and books of every
>> description.
>
> I think he should wear a carrot suit.
>
> If you get the reference I'm making here, then you have serious gaming
> mojo....
>
> - John H.

Toejam and Earl?

(Sorry to reply to an older post, but I'm still catching up and couldn't
resist; Katrina didn't do a lot of damage at my house, but did delay my
rgrn reading by about two and a half weeks.)