Upgrading 1 CPU to 2 CPU in win2k

G

I have a abit vp6, with a p3 1ghz chip, and i've just installed a second cpu, and windows apparently doesnt know its there,

i checked the task manager, and the second cpu isnt showing up on the graph, and i've check the system performance section, and it still says "number of processors" = 1, i tried changing that to 2 then rebooting, but it still says 1

anyone know if there's something i can do? or do i have to re install win2k again.

btw, when the puter is posting, it shows up as 2 cpus there.

thx

G

go to the harware manager, click on plus sign next to 'computer', right click on the 'ACPI' or 'MPS' and select properties. select the driver tab. select update driver button. click next at the wizard intro. select the 'display a list of the known drivers for this device....' click next. select 'show all hardware of the device....'. now, if the original list was 'acpi' select acpi multiprocessor. if it was 'mps' select 'mps multiprocessor' and click next.....click next and ok and then reboot. should be reading the dual cpus now....

ignore everything i say

G

That's because when you installed Win2k it installed the Uniprocessor HAL. You can change the HAL by going into Device Manager, and changing your computer type. I dont recommend this way, since when I did it, I had to reinstall all my hardware drivers. The easiest way would be to just backup you info (IE MAIL, PROFILE) and reinstall