Gaming Netbook/Ultraportable

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyli625

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Hello,I would like to get a gaming ultraportable under $550.00 USD. I am Looking at a Alienware M11x r1 refurb with a su7300 intel, 2gb of ram, and 335m nvidia and 160gb hdd. I am also looking at a refurb i3 370m inspiron 15 with a 500gb hdd with ati HD550v and 4 gb of ram. I am also looking at a refurb Asus UL80 with a i3 330um, 4 gb ram,500 gb hdd, and a nvidia 310m. any other suggestions (HP, Lenovo,etc) is fine. I would also like arounf 5 hours of battery life.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Ok - while I cannot say anything bad about any of those units for basic daily use or playing flash or internet browser games, you will not be able to " game" at anything but the lowest settings on any of them. and battery life? unless you go with onboard graphics or optimus, that life of battery is a pipe dream.

andyli625

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
not even the alienware? and should i go with a AMD Phenom II Quad-Core Mobile Processors P920 in the inspiron? Is there other netbooks/ultraportables that i missed?

Deinos

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Depending on what you want to play, the m11x will do far better than flash, or "browser" games. Give me a break.

If you want more information on the m11x, I suggest checking out Notebook review for more info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/ Lots of information from owners of both the R1 and R2.

Personally, I have the R2 and have been extremely happy with it. Haven't had a ton of time to game, but so far have played New Vegas, LFD 4, and a lot of Borderlands on it. The R2 has optimus, so graphic card switching is automatic. The R1 is still capable of switching the gfx card on and off, just manually. Both are capable of overclocking both the processor and the vid card.

Only issue I have with my m11x is the screen size when on the go (I code on it, so 11.6 inches is smallish, but have it hooked up to a 23 inch 1920 x 1080 when at home). For portability, battery life, and power all in one, it can't be beat. Every other system you are going to compromise on something: power for battery life, etc.

So again, I suggest heading over to notebook review and see what other owners have to say, and what can be done with the system. You'll be surprised on what will run well on the lil guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS