I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick
up a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one
type of scroll.

I say not fair. The default for a starting game should not be
auto-pickup.

I should be able to pick that thing up on my next turn and destroy it
then, under my own will.

thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick
> up a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one
> type of scroll.
>
> I say not fair. The default for a starting game should not be
> auto-pickup.
>
> I should be able to pick that thing up on my next turn and destroy it
> then, under my own will.

You know you can set autopickup to off? Take a look at the DEFAULTS.NH
file in your nethack directory, open it with whatever text editor you
use.
Find the following line:
#OPTIONS=autopickup,pickup_types:$"=/!?+
and change it to
OPTIONS=noautopickup

This should work (worked for me just now under Windows XP, not sure if
it differs though)

Joe

thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick
> up a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one
> type of scroll.

Could be worse. It's theoretically possible to be killed before
your first turn, by having a cross-aligned intelligent artifact randomly
generated on the stairs, auto-picking it up, and getting blasted with
enough damage to be fatal.

> I say not fair. The default for a starting game should not be
> auto-pickup.

You can change that, you know. OPTIONS=noautopickup in your
..nethackrc (on Unix) or, um, I dunno how on Windows.

> I should be able to pick that thing up on my next turn and destroy it
> then, under my own will.

Hee.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

thiskidrob@yahoo.com writes:
> [ ?oSM on starting square, crumbles before any player input ]
> I say not fair. The default for a starting game should not be
> auto-pickup.

If you don't want that behavior as a default, then why do you
have it set that way?

You can certainly put "noautopickup" in the OPTIONS list in your
..nethackrc, or in NETHACKOPTIONS in your environment. These both
take effect before your game begins.

Or did you mean that you don't like autopickup as the _default_
default setting? If so, I hereby issue you your response, snarky, one
each, oldbie, for the use of: "You didn't make optimal use of all the
tools the game put in front of you. What you complain of is not
unfairness, but Grandmotherly Kindness."

Add smileys, "Nethack isn't fair, but do you see Marvin complain?"
and "hack the source if it bothers you", to taste.

thiskidrob@yahoo.com <thiskidrob@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick
> up a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one
> type of scroll.
>
> I say not fair. The default for a starting game should not be
> auto-pickup.
>
> I should be able to pick that thing up on my next turn and destroy it
> then, under my own will.

That's not so bad. Now you know what ?oScareMonster is. This is useful
knowledge; to discover it so *cheaply* should make you happy. Two more
expensive ways:

.. dropping a stack on an altar to BUC-test, whole stack goes *poof* when
you pick it back up

.. having it dust when you're in a shop; that can be expensive... and
deadly if you can't pay it off

Learning this right at the beginning, before either of the other events
happens, should make you *happy*.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
keith.davies@kjdavies.org maintaining your code is a psychopath

Douglas Henke wrote:

> Or did you mean that you don't like autopickup as the _default_
> default setting?

There are even worse default defaults, rest_on_space being the most
obvious one.

They are kept in the default defaults file, to keep those backwards
compatible (an unedited defaults file should affect your game in the
same way after you upgrade).

--
Boudewijn.

"Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:53:07 +0000, John Campbell wrote:

> thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick up
>> a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one type
>> of scroll.
>
> Could be worse. It's theoretically possible to be killed before
> your first turn, by having a cross-aligned intelligent artifact randomly
> generated on the stairs, auto-picking it up, and getting blasted with
> enough damage to be fatal.

Wow! That's great!

Not only is Nethack a game where you can be royally screwed over by the
rng, but if it's particularly nasty, *you can't even make a single move*!
Wow. I like that :-D

--LWM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Little White Mouse got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:53:07 +0000, John Campbell wrote:
> > thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> I start a brand new game, and on the first turn, I automatically pick up
> >> a scroll that turns to dust. I think that this only happens to one type
> >> of scroll.
> >
> > Could be worse. It's theoretically possible to be killed before
> > your first turn, by having a cross-aligned intelligent artifact randomly
> > generated on the stairs, auto-picking it up, and getting blasted with
> > enough damage to be fatal.
>
> Wow! That's great!
>
> Not only is Nethack a game where you can be royally screwed over by the
> rng, but if it's particularly nasty, *you can't even make a single move*!
> Wow. I like that :-D

The DevTeam probably like that too. That's why they created a special
message for it. :)

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:06:17 +0100, Ugly Newt wrote:
> The DevTeam probably like that too. That's why they created a special
> message for it. :)

This is in addition to the message you get if you manage to off yourself
on the 1st move?

--LWM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Little White Mouse got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:06:17 +0100, Ugly Newt wrote:
> > The DevTeam probably like that too. That's why they created a special
> > message for it. :)
>
> This is in addition to the message you get if you manage to off yourself
> on the 1st move?

You mean the "Don't collect 200 zorkmids" one? That's the one I was
talking about - I thought it was possible for eg. your pet to trigger a
rolling boulder trap and kill you while you were still on the stairs.

--

Ugly Newt wrote:
> I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
> Little White Mouse got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>>
>> This is in addition to the message you get if you manage to off yourself
>> on the 1st move?
>
> You mean the "Don't collect 200 zorkmids" one? That's the one I was
> talking about - I thought it was possible for eg. your pet to trigger a
> rolling boulder trap and kill you while you were still on the stairs.

Rolling boulder traps are impossible at dungeon level 1 as far as I see.

Janis