Optical Mouse Assignments

Jetter2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I have a Microsoft Intellipoint Optical Mouse, running it on Windows98SE. I have notcied that
in order to use the side(foward and back) buttons, I must be running the Microsoft Intellipoint
software. We have the exact same mouse at school, except that it is running on WinXP,
and I noticed that the mouse has completly full funcinality WITHOUT running the mouse software.
I am about to upgrade to Win2k, and I was wondering if Win2k has the same compatibility with the
mouse as WinXP(meaning the foward and back buttons work without the software running)
Also, would you reccomend me using the Optical Mouse on my PS2 or USB port?

I found out my dad's free advice was worth half what I paid for it. -Justin

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yes it does, at least with my explorer 3.0 intelimouse and win2k.
The mouse drivers just add all the tweaking options.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I read somewhere that connecting your mouse via USB port has a better performance than that via PS/2 port. If you use the mouse for fast action games, you'll probably see the difference between the 2 ports.

Also, after installing win2k, remember to goto mouse properties of control panel. And under the motion tab there is an advanced feature setting where you can change the PS/2 report rate. Make sure you change it to 100 as win2k supports a higher resolution mouse.

Jetter2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
So games will reckognize the side buttons as "mouse 4"
or "mouse 3"? In Win98SE the games wont reckognize the side buttons as mouse buttons. I can program them as the same key press, but would like the game to realize the buttons as a mouse button. So i DO NOT need the software for the foward and back buttons to work in win2k?

I found out my dad's free advice was worth half what I paid for it. -Justin

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. thats correct

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>