Alignments of angels question

My current game has had a total of ten angels generated, all neutral. Two I
tamed with the aid of the Knight Quest Locate level magic traps. These two,
although they started neutral, are now chaotic. I'd like lawful pets so I
can hand out excess lawful artifacts.

How is the alignment of angels handled? Would I be correct in guessing that
the alignment of their victims is subtracted to their own alignment? Once
they are non neutral, can they change alignment again?

In article <MPG.1d95fd4283b496e9989745@news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> says...
> My current game has had a total of ten angels generated, all neutral. Two I
> tamed with the aid of the Knight Quest Locate level magic traps. These two,
> although they started neutral, are now chaotic. I'd like lawful pets so I
> can hand out excess lawful artifacts.
>
> How is the alignment of angels handled? Would I be correct in guessing that
> the alignment of their victims is subtracted to their own alignment? Once
> they are non neutral, can they change alignment again?

A partial answer to my own question: one of my pets has switched from
Chaotic to Lawful, and back to Chaotic again.

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> My current game has had a total of ten angels generated, all neutral. Two I
> tamed with the aid of the Knight Quest Locate level magic traps. These two,
> although they started neutral, are now chaotic. I'd like lawful pets so I
> can hand out excess lawful artifacts.

Hmm. This looks like a bug; non-minion Angels aren't having a
minion-type emin structure attached, but the probing code is trying to
read from it anyway (and, in the case of a pet, will probably be
getting the first byte of 'droptime' instead, that being the
corresponding part of the edog structure). As far as _artifacts_ are
concerned, this won't, I think, matter; all Angels are lawful as far
as what they check goes. I may be missing something here, but I'll
drop a line to the DevTeam anyway.

: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
: -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :

In article <8664szelnt.fsf@strackenz.spod-central.org>, Dylan O'Donnell
<psmithnews@spod-central.org> says...
> Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> > My current game has had a total of ten angels generated, all neutral. Two I
> > tamed with the aid of the Knight Quest Locate level magic traps. These two,
> > although they started neutral, are now chaotic. I'd like lawful pets so I
> > can hand out excess lawful artifacts.
>
> Hmm. This looks like a bug; non-minion Angels aren't having a
> minion-type emin structure attached, but the probing code is trying to
> read from it anyway (and, in the case of a pet, will probably be
> getting the first byte of 'droptime' instead, that being the
> corresponding part of the edog structure). As far as _artifacts_ are
> concerned, this won't, I think, matter; all Angels are lawful as far
> as what they check goes. I may be missing something here, but I'll
> drop a line to the DevTeam anyway.

I've done some quick testing in wizard mode which supports what you say.
Angel reported alignment changes when apport changes. They will still wield
lawful artifacts.

Another odd thing in wizmode: ^G, specify angel: a human zombie is created.

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Another odd thing in wizmode: ^G, specify angel: a human zombie is created.

Yes, cant_create() prevents players from creating minion monsters (and
priests, shopkeepers, and vault guards), to prevent exactly the kind
of problem you were seeing. It may just be an oversight that the RNG
_is_ allowed to create Angels.