Advice on enabling email on a Palm?

March 5, 2005 6:52:24 PM

I'm interested in enabling a Palm m515 for email. Does anyone have
advice, comments, or suggestions on this? I tend to move forward in
fits and starts when it comes to technology. Is it worth trying to
enable a several-year-old Palm for email? What would be entailed in
doing so? Should I consider a Blackberry for this purpose? Of perhaps a
new cell phone of some kind?

I'll still need the Palm (or something like it) for things like
scheduling, address book, and various medical applications.

Any pros and cons on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:50:32 AM

On 2005-03-05, slazlo@aol.com <slazlo@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm interested in enabling a Palm m515 for email. Does anyone have
> advice, comments, or suggestions on this? I tend to move forward in
> fits and starts when it comes to technology. Is it worth trying to
> enable a several-year-old Palm for email? What would be entailed in
> doing so? Should I consider a Blackberry for this purpose? Of perhaps a
> new cell phone of some kind?

It's immediately unclear what you mean by "enabling a Palm m515 for
email." Do you want to mass-download mail to the Palm and read it
offline by sync? Do you want the Palm device online itself, via
WiFi? Via cellular? Do you just want to run a terminal program on
the Palm and connect to a "real" computer that holds your e-mail?

Personally I intend to replace Versamail with a better application to
sync the Palm with my IMAP account and then read offline ... but I
have a Tungsten T3, a much newer device with more RAM.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Ask me about I-Con 24, April 8-10, 2005

On 5 Mar 2005 15:52:24 -0800, slazlo@aol.com wrote:

>I'm interested in enabling a Palm m515 for email. Does anyone have
>advice, comments, or suggestions on this?

I've been using my M515 for years for email, using the
optional modem, and Eudora software. Works great!

Sharon
March 6, 2005 6:44:44 PM

I'm actually investigating this for my wife. The answer of whether
she'd want to use WiFi, or via cellular, would depend upon the cost and
the complexity. It would obviously be nice to be able to send email
anywhere, as opposed to synching at home. So I guess I'd be interested
in investigating all of the above. As with most technology, new
features sometimes come down to spending more on upgrading an old
device than simply buying a new device.

What would be entailed in using a cell as a means of email? What would
be entailed with the synching scenario? Is there a book or
documentation anywhere that details these options?

Thanks!
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:47:52 PM

Forgive my naivete in this realm, but what is the nature of the modem?
This assumes non-wireless email, correct? So one reads and composes
email on the Palm using Eudora, and then at some point connects via a
Palm-specific modem to a dial-up connection? Is this correct? Where
does one get the modem? How much are they? How does it connect to the
Palm?
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:04:40 AM

On 2005-03-06, slazlo@aol.com <slazlo@aol.com> wrote:

> What would be entailed in using a cell as a means of email?

I use a Nokia 6800 -- many cellular phones are capable of acting as
modems. It has IRDA (infrared) capability, so to download mail to
Versamail I tell it to turn on IRDA (takes about 1.5 seconds), put
the phone and Palm down in positions where they can "see" each
other's IRDA transceivers, and tap the appropriate button the Palm

Required:

- a phone that can act as a modem
- a cellular service that offers Internet connectivity
- mail software.

Versamail came with the Tungsten T3, I don't know what you'd use on
an m515. I get my wireless connectivity from T-Mobile, where
unlimited use of their GPRS service is $20/month added to my voice
fee.

> What would be entailed with the synching scenario?

You'd need a computer with Internet connectivity and some mail
software. Details would very much depend on the software.

> Is there a book or documentation anywhere that details these
> options?

Which options? Have you done a simple search through ask.com or
altavista.com, or old standby Google? I'm sure there's a huge amount
of information at about.com, too.
--
Carl Fink carl@fink.to
Ask me about I-Con 24, April 8-10, 2005
http://iconsf.org
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:51:19 AM

"Carl Fink" <carlf@panix.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-03-06, slazlo@aol.com <slazlo@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> What would be entailed in using a cell as a means of email?
>
> I use a Nokia 6800 -- many cellular phones are capable of acting as
> modems. It has IRDA (infrared) capability, so to download mail to
> Versamail I tell it to turn on IRDA (takes about 1.5 seconds), put
> the phone and Palm down in positions where they can "see" each
> other's IRDA transceivers, and tap the appropriate button the Palm
>
> Required:
>
> - a phone that can act as a modem
> - a cellular service that offers Internet connectivity
> - mail software.
>
> Versamail came with the Tungsten T3, I don't know what you'd use on
> an m515. I get my wireless connectivity from T-Mobile, where
> unlimited use of their GPRS service is $20/month added to my voice
> fee.

SNIP

I do the very same thing but with Bluetooth instead of IrDA. The one
advantage of Bluetooth is that the phone and Palm don't have to be lined up
as with IrDA. The down side is you need a Bluetooth capable phone that the
Palm can talk to. Mine is a Motorola V551 and it works fine with my T3.
Other people with Zires have has varying success due to lack of drivers for
the Moto phone. I have also used the T3 with a Sony Ericsson T68i, you'll
just need to figure out if your current phone works of if your cellular
provider has a compatible phone.

I have a $19.00 unlimited data plan with Cingular. I use the GPRS capability
of the phone for data access. I have heard that you can get a less expensive
plan and get the phone provisioned for CSD which would allow you to use it
like a modem and connect to your existing ISP via a dial-up connection,
although at a much lower connect speed.

The synching option doesn't really appeal to me as you have to connect to
your PC and sync the mail across to the Palm. While this would let you read
email on the go and compose emails while away from the PC you'll still need
to get to the PC eventually to get and send email. Seems kind of pointless
to me, but some people like it this way.

If you go with WiFi you'll need a Palm that can accept a WiFi card or is
WiFi enabled (Tungsten C for example). There is a device by Enfora which is
a separate portfolio with WiFi built-in that you connect your Palm to. The
issue with WiFi, IMHO, is that you're still tethered to a Hot Spot or a
Wireless access point and you'll need another data service (about
$19.00/month USD) to use WiFi in various Hot Spots.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:31:42 PM

I am pleased to see that someone is able to link the T3 with the V551.
I have been unsuccessful in the link. The palm update for phone sync
doesnt include that phone on the list. I tried the other Moto's and it
did not yield anything good.

Thanks for your help.

TCC
Tony Clark wrote:
> [...]
> your PC and sync the mail across to the Palm. While this would let
you read
> email on the go and compose emails while away from the PC you'll
still need
> to get to the PC eventually to get and send email. Seems kind of
pointless
> to me, but some people like it this way.
>
> If you go with WiFi you'll need a Palm that can accept a WiFi card or
is
> WiFi enabled (Tungsten C for example). There is a device by Enfora
which is
> a separate portfolio with WiFi built-in that you connect your Palm
to. The
> issue with WiFi, IMHO, is that you're still tethered to a Hot Spot or
> Wireless access point and you'll need another data service (about
> $19.00/month USD) to use WiFi in various Hot Spots.

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 4:23:49 AM

On 6 Mar 2005 15:47:52 -0800, slazlo@aol.com wrote:

>Forgive my naivete in this realm, but what is the nature of the modem?
>This assumes non-wireless email, correct? So one reads and composes
>email on the Palm using Eudora, and then at some point connects via a
>Palm-specific modem to a dial-up connection? Is this correct?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

If you don't have a separate modem, the Mail application included with the
515 will sync to your major mail application of choice, download received
mail and upload mail to send. I don't recall if you have to take a separate
action to send after that, as every Palm I've had was wireless (Palm VII,
VIIx, Treo 180, Samsung SPH-i300, Palm Tungsten W) so I never needed it.

>.Where does one get the modem?

eBay, since they're out of production.

> How much are they?

Market price. Doubt they'd be over $100.

> How does it connect to the Palm?

Some models used IR, others required a serial connection.

Since you can generally get an unlocekd dub-ya for <$200 USD on eBay,

http://tinyurl.com/54wo6

and my T-Mobile wireless provides unmetered GPRS @ $30/mo., I don't feel
strongly motivated to rewire myself, and am happily unwired.

The native VersaMail provided with the dub-ya allows me to attach to up to
four IMAP and/or POP3-SMTP servers for multiple mail accounts, but, sadly,
Google's gMail is not one of them, as gMail requires an esoteric
configuration, for which I would have to spend $$ to buy Snappermail.

--
The TSA is a test. It is only a test......
"Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857.

"tcc72" <christner@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I am pleased to see that someone is able to link the T3 with the V551.
> I have been unsuccessful in the link. The palm update for phone sync
> doesnt include that phone on the list. I tried the other Moto's and it
> did not yield anything good.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> TCC
SNIP

Try using the Standard GSM Phone driver. It works for me with the V551.

TC
!