Adding second SSD

One of my machines has been running XP Pro on a M4 x 256GB. I'm considering adding a second similar SSD for W7. What problems will I encounter? BTW, the rig is very capable of running W7.
13 answers Last reply
More about adding
  1. So you would be dual booting?
  2. You shouldn't encounter any problems.
  3. twelve25 said:
    So you would be dual booting?

Yes, I would like to be able to boot from either SSD.
  4. ram1009 said:
    Yes, I would like to be able to boot from either SSD.

You shouldn't encounter any problems with compatibility but you may have to modify the boot.ini file to allow for both OSs and so that it gives you the option of which OS to load.

There is more information HERE on how to modify the different settings in order for it to work correctly.
  5. Hmmm. I'm surprised nobody has advised to unplug the XP SSD while installing the W7 SSD to prevent drive letter misallocation. Does the procedure shown preclude use of an "UPGRADE" version of W7?
  6. ^ That is my prefered method. Disconnect SSD with XP, connect new SSD and install Windows 7 - DONE. Just hit the key that Brings up the Boot menu (On my Gigabyte = F12, and on My Asrock MB it is F11) when you want to use the other drive. If you do not hit the key during post it will auto boot to what is set in Bios as first priority.

No Software Boot Boot menu that can hose up both drives. NO " modify the boot.ini file".

So you decide that most times you would boot to win 7. Then set win 7 as first priority in BIOS. Boot normally and you will boot into win 7. Win 7 SSD will be C drive and win XP will be D drive. You and read/write to win XP drive.

Want to use XP, just hit the key during post, select the SSD with Win XP on it.
    NOW win XP SSD will become C drive and Win 7 will now be D drive and excessable from XP. Note if you reboot it will boot back into Win 7 UNLess you again hit the key for boot menu during post.

- OR Vesa-Versa

@ ram1009
    Yes you can do Upgrade (or use Upgrade to perform a clean install).
    I clonned By Win 7 SSD to a 2nd SSD then Removed Win 7 SSD and performed a Upgrade to Win 8 on "cloned" win 7 SSD.
  7. or you could physical to virtual the xp machine, install win 7 on your current ssd and then just use the xp virtual machine when you want it.
  8. 13thmonkey said:
    or you could physical to virtual the xp machine, install win 7 on your current ssd and then just use the xp virtual machine when you want it.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to compromise on space. I'm using 256GB SSDs for a reason.
  9. RetiredChief said:
    ^ That is my prefered method. Disconnect SSD with XP, connect new SSD and install Windows 7 - DONE. Just hit the key that Brings up the Boot menu (On my Gigabyte = F12, and on My Asrock MB it is F11) when you want to use the other drive. If you do not hit the key during post it will auto boot to what is set in Bios as first priority.

No Software Boot Boot menu that can hose up both drives. NO " modify the boot.ini file".

So you decide that most times you would boot to win 7. Then set win 7 as first priority in BIOS. Boot normally and you will boot into win 7. Win 7 SSD will be C drive and win XP will be D drive. You and read/write to win XP drive.

NOW win XP SSD will become C drive and Win 7 will now be D drive and excessable from XP. Note if you reboot it will boot back into Win 7 UNLess you again hit the key for boot menu during post.

- OR Vesa-Versa

@ ram1009
    I clonned By Win 7 SSD to a 2nd SSD then Removed Win 7 SSD and performed a Upgrade to Win 8 on "cloned" win 7 SSD.

This is exactly the scheme I was planning. However one thing jumps out at me from your description. The drive identifiers (C/D) toggle depending upon which is the boot drive. What does that do to the shortcuts resident on each drive?
  10. Never had a problem with that.
    One of my Dual boot drives had some 8 drive letters (daul boot XP - Raid0 HDD, and Vista also a raid0 HDD and later dropped Vista for Win 7 Beta).
    Drive For XP had C, E, F and Vista had D, G, H. F was back up for Vista Drive, and H was back up for XP drive I and J were my two DVD drives.

Any way what I listed for drive letters is for boot to XP. When you create a shortcut on "c:" drive is will be on that drive and refernece the letters based on that set-up. when boot to vista same same. Programs are each installed in individual OS and retain the shortcuts used. The only problem would be if You at a latter point shift Drive letters for (in my case) E,F,G,H. (These drive letters were constaint for either boot OS as were the Blu-ray writer and the DVD writer.

PS - Have a problem with daul boot setup for Win7/Win8. Three drive setup 1) Win 7 SSD, 2) Win 8 SSD and thrid SSD is common. This is for a laptop so I have to physically swap the two SSDs with the OS - Win 8 screws up the Common SSD so that if I Run Win 8, then swap drives to boot win 7, Win 7 will come up and say problem with common SSD and require Checkdisk to run which repairs disk and every thhink is hunky doory , at leastuntil I boot Win 8 again. Note Booting win 8 does NOT require runing checkdisk, it is only going back to win 7. Must write somethin on disk that win 7 does NOT like.
  11. RetiredChief said:
    Never had a problem with that.
    One of my Dual boot drives had some 8 drive letters (daul boot XP - Raid0 HDD, and Vista also a raid0 HDD and later dropped Vista for Win 7 Beta).
    Drive For XP had C, E, F and Vista had D, G, H. F was back up for Vista Drive, and H was back up for XP drive I and J were my two DVD drives.

Any way what I listed for drive letters is for boot to XP. When you create a shortcut on "c:" drive is will be on that drive and refernece the letters based on that set-up. when boot to vista same same. Programs are each installed in individual OS and retain the shortcuts used. The only problem would be if You at a latter point shift Drive letters for (in my case) E,F,G,H. (These drive letters were constaint for either boot OS as were the Blu-ray writer and the DVD writer.

PS - Have a problem with daul boot setup for Win7/Win8. Three drive setup 1) Win 7 SSD, 2) Win 8 SSD and thrid SSD is common. This is for a laptop so I have to physically swap the two SSDs with the OS - Win 8 screws up the Common SSD so that if I Run Win 8, then swap drives to boot win 7, Win 7 will come up and say problem with common SSD and require Checkdisk to run which repairs disk and every thhink is hunky doory , at leastuntil I boot Win 8 again. Note Booting win 8 does NOT require runing checkdisk, it is only going back to win 7. Must write somethin on disk that win 7 does NOT like.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. As long as I use shortcuts resident in the boot drive it should be OK. One of the primary virtues of the plan is that the original XP boot drive remains undisturbed. I've done this many times in the past when retiring HDDs but this will be the first time using a different OS and two partitions I intend to be bootable.
  12. RetiredChief said:
    ^ That is my prefered method. Disconnect SSD with XP, connect new SSD and install Windows 7 - DONE. Just hit the key that Brings up the Boot menu (On my Gigabyte = F12, and on My Asrock MB it is F11) when you want to use the other drive. If you do not hit the key during post it will auto boot to what is set in Bios as first priority.

- OR Vesa-Versa

@ ram1009

I must be sleep-typing cause I forgot all about that option.... :sleep: :sleep:
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Windows XP Windows 7