YA(Silly)Idea: Today is the International Speak like a Pir..

Avast! You filthy bilge rats!

Tis day, September 19th, be the International Speak like a Pirate Day!
Arrrgh.

Shiver me timbers if the land lubbin' Devs have yet to make Nethack go
on account on this very date!

Arrrrrgh.

-K

(I suppose it'd take way too much effort to make all of nethack
'piratify'...)

"Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> writes:
> Avast! You filthy bilge rats!
>
> Tis day, September 19th, be the International Speak like a Pirate Day!
> Arrrgh.
>
> Shiver me timbers if the land lubbin' Devs have yet to make Nethack go
> on account on this very date!
>
> Arrrrrgh.
>
> (I suppose it'd take way too much effort to make all of nethack
> 'piratify'...)

Aye, that it would, mate. NetHack's message-creation system be a
complex beast. 'Twould be easy enough to have it throw in the odd
"Arr!" and "Avast!" every so often, mind ye. Or rename one of the
swords a 'cutlass'.

(Eyepatches instead of blindfolds?)

: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
: -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> "Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> writes:
> > Tis day, September 19th, be the International Speak like a Pirate Day!
> > (I suppose it'd take way too much effort to make all of nethack
> > 'piratify'...)
>
> Aye, that it would, mate. NetHack's message-creation system be a
> complex beast. 'Twould be easy enough to have it throw in the odd
> "Arr!" and "Avast!" every so often, mind ye. Or rename one of the
> swords a 'cutlass'.
>
> (Eyepatches instead of blindfolds?)

Increased chance of parrots being generated in ? (It's the 20th now,
I can speak normally).

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> Kremti writes:
>
> > Avast! You filthy bilge rats!
> > Tis day, September 19th, be the International Speak like a Pirate Day!
> > Arrrgh.
>
> Aye, that it would, mate. NetHack's message-creation system be a
> complex beast. 'Twould be easy enough to have it throw in the odd
> "Arr!" and "Avast!" every so often, mind ye. Or rename one of the
> swords a 'cutlass'.

Excellent. Another weapon in the scimitar or saber classes.

Andrew Kerr wrote:
> Doug Freyburger says...
>
> > > Or rename one of the swords a 'cutlass'.
>
> > Excellent. Another weapon in the scimitar or saber classes.
>
> Probably a very old question, but why are scimitar and sabre different
> classes?

Only DevTeam members can say for sure. My theory is the
wide variety of weapons class and the skill slot system
is largely a trap for mid-game players not experienced
enough to have learned what to #enhance and what to
ignore.

> IRL these two differed only in the metalworking techniques and
> their place of manufacture. Scimitars were generally of superior material -
> thus it is a bit of an insult to Ottoman swordsmiths to dole them out to
> orcs.

Mottled bimetalic Damascene steel was made into scimitars,
but scimitars also existed that were made from cheaper
metal and that were big and brute force for chopping. I
think the orcish ones were those.

> Of course IRL sabres were generally made of steel.

As far as I know the ones still in use are only ceremonial,
like an officers sabre during a commisioning ceremony.
They are of steel but are not combat usefull.

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > Andrew Kerr wrote:
>
> >> Of course IRL sabres were generally made of steel.
>
> > As far as I know the ones still in use are only ceremonial,
> > like an officers sabre during a commisioning ceremony.
> > They are of steel but are not combat usefull.

There are also folks who make combat-worthy blades of
any type for collectors.

> Don't tell that to my daughter who will be competing in the Dutch National
> Youth Championship in December; her sabre isn't ceremonial at all :)

YANI- Electrified foil, saber, epee Being Olympic sports
these would do extra damage against titans just like axes
do extra damage against wood golems.

In article news:<1127231277.830059.181070@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> > Or rename one of the
> > swords a 'cutlass'.
>
> Excellent. Another weapon in the scimitar or saber classes.

Probably a very old question, but why are scimitar and sabre different
classes? IRL these two differed only in the metalworking techniques and

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote

>Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
>> Kremti writes:
>>
>> > Avast! You filthy bilge rats!
>> > Tis day, September 19th, be the International Speak like a Pirate Day!
>> > Arrrgh.
>>
>> Aye, that it would, mate. NetHack's message-creation system be a
>> complex beast. 'Twould be easy enough to have it throw in the odd
>> "Arr!" and "Avast!" every so often, mind ye. Or rename one of the
>> swords a 'cutlass'.
>
>Excellent. Another weapon in the scimitar or saber classes.

"I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor, just because some watery tart
threw a sword at me, they'd lock me away." - Dennis in Monty Python and the Holy
Grail.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> YANI- Electrified foil, saber, epee Being Olympic sports
> these would do extra damage against titans just like axes
> do extra damage against wood golems.

I think one would first have to apply a towel or t-shirt (silk of
course) to obisdian or a glass wand; then Xchange obsidian/wand and
weapon so the weapon continues to provide a shock. Recharge required in
rnd(8) turns.

By the way, what happens if you slide your pet glass piercer or pet
glass golem across the (magic) carpet?

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Andrew Kerr wrote:

>> Of course IRL sabres were generally made of steel.
>
> As far as I know the ones still in use are only ceremonial,
> like an officers sabre during a commisioning ceremony.
> They are of steel but are not combat usefull.

Don't tell that to my daughter who will be competing in the Dutch National
Youth Championship in December; her sabre isn't ceremonial at all :)

Raisse, killed by a hill orc

Andrew Kerr wrote:

> Probably a very old question, but why are scimitar and sabre different
> classes? IRL these two differed only in the metalworking techniques
> and their place of manufacture. Scimitars were generally of superior
> material - thus it is a bit of an insult to Ottoman swordsmiths to
> dole them out to orcs.

I thought that sabres are straight and scimitars are bended?

--
Boudewijn.

"Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."

In article news:<dgq0ov$8bg$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers
<kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> says...
> Andrew Kerr wrote:
>
> > Probably a very old question, but why are scimitar and sabre different
> > classes? IRL these two differed only in the metalworking techniques
> > and their place of manufacture. Scimitars were generally of superior
> > material - thus it is a bit of an insult to Ottoman swordsmiths to
> > dole them out to orcs.
>
> I thought that sabres are straight and scimitars are bended?

In general, they are both bent. Curved swords cut through flesh more
easily. Fencing sabres, based on Hungarian weapons, are however straight.

Richard Bos wrote:

> What I want to know now is, why is the katana a longsword and not a
> sabre? Japanese swords are slightly bent and single-edged, aren't they?

Scimitar has the unidentified name "curved sword", but
no sword type includes the word "straight". Also only
battle-axe is described as double-edged. You have to
know what an athame looks like to expect it to be
double edged.

So I don't think there's any reason to believe that
sword types are expected to be straight, just that
scimitar is so very curved that the curve is its most
obvious featue.

I picture an orcish scimitar to be so curved the blade
would seem like a hook. Not the same as the gracefully
curving Damascene long sword with a gentle curve that
I remember from pictures or Saracen swords of the
crusade era nor the gracefully curving layered long
sword I remember from pictures of katanas.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> "Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> writes:
> > (I suppose it'd take way too much effort to make all of nethack
> > 'piratify'...)
>
> Aye, that it would, mate. NetHack's message-creation system be a
> complex beast.

This strikes me as one of the areas in which the nethack source could
be significantly cleaned up. There seems to me to be endless bits of
code like:

if (Blind) {
You("hear a sound.");
} else if (Hallu) {
You("see something weird.");
} else {
You("see something normal.");
}

Would it be worthwhile abstracting that out? It'd be a lot of work, I
admit. And there may still be too many special cases to make it
worthwhile. Hm.

I recently considered adding deafness to the game (after someone's
suggestion of implementing Sirens). I was put off by the daunting task
of tracking down every sound-related message and adding an "if (Deaf)"
alternative. This would certainly be easier if all the messages were in
one source file, rather than distributed across so many.

Malcolm

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article news:<1127231277.830059.181070@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> > > Or rename one of the swords a 'cutlass'.
> >
> > Excellent. Another weapon in the scimitar or saber classes.
>
> Probably a very old question, but why are scimitar and sabre different
> classes? IRL these two differed only in the metalworking techniques and
> their place of manufacture.

Early sabres, yes. But later sabres are nearly straight, with a slightly
bent tip mostly. It's the kind of cavalry sabre that you still see in
parades such as the Trooping of the Colours. And it is probably that
kind of sabre a guard captain would sport. It's also the kind of sword
of which a cutlass is a shorter version.
What I want to know now is, why is the katana a longsword and not a
sabre? Japanese swords are slightly bent and single-edged, aren't they?

> Scimitars were generally of superior material - thus it is a bit of an
> insult to Ottoman swordsmiths to dole them out to orcs.

You can blame that on Tolkien.

Richard

"malcolm.ryan@gmail.com" <malcolm.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
>I recently considered adding deafness to the game (after someone's
>suggestion of implementing Sirens). I was put off by the daunting task
>of tracking down every sound-related message and adding an "if (Deaf)"
>alternative. This would certainly be easier if all the messages were in
>one source file, rather than distributed across so many.

All heard-sound messages *should* be emitted by calls to You_hear().
In 3.4.1, there were 117 calls to You_hear() spread across 27 files.
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> "malcolm.ryan@gmail.com" <malcolm.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I recently considered adding deafness to the game (after someone's
> >suggestion of implementing Sirens). I was put off by the daunting task
> >of tracking down every sound-related message and adding an "if (Deaf)"
> >alternative. This would certainly be easier if all the messages were in
> >one source file, rather than distributed across so many.
>
> All heard-sound messages *should* be emitted by calls to You_hear().

"Crash! The ceiling collapses around you!"
"Crash! You kick open a secret passage!"
"KADOOM! The boulder falls in!"
"KAABLAMM!!! You triggered a land mine!"
"Click! You trigger a rolling boulder trap!"
"Clash!"
"Clang!"
"Splash!"
"Plop!"
"THUD!"
"Thump!"
"Klunk!"
"Klick!"
"Splat!"
"Whang!"
"Clink!"
"Clonk!"

(And more, but that should make the general point.)

psmith@spod-central.org wrote:
>Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>> All heard-sound messages *should* be emitted by calls to You_hear().

[list of cases where I'm patently wrong]
>(And more, but that should make the general point.)

Point taken :)

In article news:<4331bb1b.13132125@news.xs4all.nl>, Richard Bos
<rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> says...
> What I want to know now is, why is the katana a longsword and not a
> sabre? Japanese swords are slightly bent and single-edged, aren't they?

Katana are I think much heavier than sabres and scimitars, but of similar
weight to "knight sword". Not that that makes them like a long sword, but I
think they are sufficiently different to sabres/scimitars.

In article news:<1127249475.456428.32500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> There are also folks who make combat-worthy blades of
> any type for collectors.

Often using modern metalworking techniques to produce blades much less
likely to break than historical counterparts. There are also light weight
aluminium blades out there: I've not seen titanium, but I wouldn't be
surprised.

On 20 Sep 2005 13:51:15 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>YANI- Electrified foil, saber, epee Being Olympic sports
>these would do extra damage against titans just like axes
>do extra damage against wood golems.

Yeah, but you would have to stay in the same line to attack, and where
the hell would you plug in? :)

(And where would you find a referee? And an Olympic Committee member
to bribe?)

IMO, we needs a potion of anabolic steroids.

Mark