Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot install Windows 7 but Windows 8 can

Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2013 3:47:24 AM

Whenever I try to install a genuine copy of Windows 7 to my laptops harddrive it always fails. Copy's the files almost instantly and then gives me an error when in the "Expanding Files" stage. Then when I try Windows 8 (also genuine) all goes smoothly same with ubuntu. Same copy of Windows 7 CAN install on any other harddrive but not mine. What is the problem and any way to fix it?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 4:02:00 AM

You have a retail copy of both Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Something may be damaged in the Windows 7 media you have. Try creating a USB install disc, found HERE , and see if it gives the same result.
January 27, 2013 4:07:53 AM

Yes, I do a retail copy of Windows 7 & 8.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 2:21:57 PM

hedwar2011 said:

Something may be damaged in the Windows 7 media you have. Try creating a USB install disc, found HERE , and see if it gives the same result.

Tried to CD BOOT in cmd and gave me an error. Tried on another computer and it worked. Have yet to try and install it from usb.
January 27, 2013 2:29:26 PM

hedwar2011 said:

It worked! It can't be my dvd drive because I can install Ubuntu and Windows 8 smoothly...
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 27, 2013 3:25:44 PM

BeRawhh said:
It worked! It can't be my dvd drive because I can install Ubuntu and Windows 8 smoothly...

Once upon a time I had a similar issue with XP. It just so happed that particular drive hated that particular CD. Worked fine in every other and when I swapped it installed fine on my PC
January 27, 2013 6:41:53 PM

Best answer selected by BeRawhh.
!