Reinstalling windows 7 oem

Lord Tumnas

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
hey guys, i know this question has probably been asked a million times but...
i read somewhere that if you call Microsoft they may let you re install win7 OEM with a new motherboard, is this true?

thanks, LordTumnas

Solution
Hi :)

Around 1 in 10 get another activation from MS.... going by the number of people coming into my shops for a new Windows disc/number ...

All the best Brett :)
If your motherboard failed and the OEM replaced it with a slightly different model, yes, not your faulty stuff goes out of production. If your just upgrading, your supposed to get a new licence but, a little white lie to M$ saying your just reinstalling and they normally let it fly by. They are after the big boy pirates !

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

There have been some vendors (very few actually) that when a motherboard fails and that particular model is out of production, they will send out a replacement motherboard and new COA (product key) for the computer. DELL used to do this back in the day when I worked there and someone had to have their motherboard replaced and it was actually a different board for this very reason.

I can't say that the company you bought the computer from would do this exact thing because they have changed ALOT of practices ever since piracy has gotten as bad as it has.

You can contact M$ and explain the situation (don't lie) and they may request you send proof from the manufacturer showing where they replaced the motherboard with a different type due to the other being out of production and grant you a move. If you lie to them, it will come back to haunt you. M$ is good like that because as soon as you activate it and hit the web, your system specs will hit M$ as soon as you do the first Windows Update on it.