Slightly abused YAAP: hilda-Val-Hum-Fem-Law

Goodbye Hilda the Stupid Lady, ascending with +4 Excalibur, +4 silver
saber, her gray dragon and her ettin and her Xorn and her 4 purple
worms (or would have if they had all fit round the altar) for 5170000
points.

Gonna snip 90% of the comments.

Gotta say this was a straightforward ascension. Having sweated through
two ascensions as an Archeologist and a Wizard, playing through as a
Valk was pretty much like clockwork. I found that a lot of the tricks
I'd picked up as a weak character stood a not-so-weak character in good
stead so that the game became, if not easy, only moderately difficult
instead of rock hard.

Bit of advice for non-ascended readers: Start off by playing Tourists
or Wizards or suchlike. Those characters are weak, and you develop
eyes in the back of your head and learn to make the most of every
single trick. You learn how to engrave "E" with just about anything.
You learn to always have an escape route handy -- there's a REASON why
the RNG gives away scrolls of teleportation and wands of digging like
candy in a dime store.

Then, once you've learned to survive as a weak character, switch over
to a combat wombat like Valk or Barbarian and walk over the dungeon.
All the skills you've picked up as a weakling suddenly give your combat
wombat a quantum leap in effectiveness, and an ascension is usually not
far away.

Abuse: Yes, I finally had occasion to use my notes to refresh my memory
when a magic trap gated in a mind flayer and it ate my brain for 5
points of intelligence, leaving me with a 6-int Valk. At the time this
happened I was standing right outside Rodney's door, and I decided I
just didn't have the patience to go through all the dungeon scrounging
identify scrolls to rebuild my database. I did as much as I could from
my own memory, but then I realized that was out-of-character too --
that information was gone from my character's mind, so any rebuilding
of that info short of re-identifying was OOC, and I didn't have the
real-world time for that. So I used my notes. I'd come too far.

As it was, I had 75% of the 48-level dungeon maps wiped, and I spent
20000 turns and 4 real-time hours remapping the dungeon for my run. I
consider that punishment enough :(.

Game-breaker: Found gauntlets of power early. This increased my
carrying capacity and allowed me to hit hard.

Funny moment of the game: Engagement ring identified as "ring of
conflict". As a married person for 11 years, I would certainly say that
would seem to be true to life, where you can be best friends with
someone but the minute you slip the ring on the quarrels never end :).

The wife hits! You are confused!-More-
The wife hits! You are stunned!-more-

Well, I thought it was funny anyway.

Biggest mistake: identifying a potion of sickness by quaffing it,
knocking my int to 4. Compounding that error by praying to get out of
trouble (on turn 10 of the game) and getting the "you are arrogant"
message, making my game deity permanently angry at me. I had to play
the first 5000 turns of the game without prayer despite mucho
sacrificing before I could find something big enough to mollify him.
This means I have to work hard to not be hungry, as if I run out of
food and nutrition I will simply die, no bailout.

I note that my ascending characters have bad things happen to them just
as the other ones did, but my ascending characters find a way out of
their jams. I guess that's because I've developed the smarts and the
mindset to be a survivor in the dungeon.

I-didn't know-they-could-do-that moment: Asmodeus reads a scroll and
levelported away! I know this is true because, 40000 turns later, I
found him just hanging around on level 19 above the castle while I was
re-mapping in preparation for the ascension run.

New tactic: When fighting demon lords, once they are awake use Orb of
Fate levelport to teleport to next level up, then descend the stairs
and stand there. Soon enough the bad guy comes along, and has no escape
since I'm standing on the stairs.

Firsts:

1. First ascension as a non-spellcaster class.
2. First time ascending a character who could NOT cast identify, or
indeed much of anything. This led me to conserve my identify scrolls
and play a much different game than I normally would have, using every
identify trick and, at the end, only identifying things I really cared
about.
3. First time Rodney stole the amulet from me. I missed with the WoD
and he managed to get it away from me. I sat there wondering where in
the dungeon I would find him next when he 'ported back next to me to
finish the job. Greedy dude. I happily smacked him down and took my
amulet back.
4. First time I actually *fought* Rodney, and indeed ran up a staircase
to get away from him. In previous games I used WoD (and did in this one
as well), but a bad roll meant I missed the shot a time or two.
5. First time ascending character without inherent teleport and
teleport control. I circumvented this with an uncursed ring of
polymorph and polymorph control.
6. First time ascending a lawful, rather than neutral, character. Since
I have a strict policy of never deliberately killing peacefuls nor
allowing my pets to do so if it can be avoided, this meant the game was
harder because I couldn't relieve the first dwarf I met of his mithril
and his mattock as interim armor for the opening game. It also meant I
almost never encountered a non-peaceful tengu, which meant no inherent
teleport control and therefore no inherent teleportitis.
7. First time ring of conflict NOT used on astral. Well, not entirely
true. I started out with it but took it off when I had a whole bunch
of nasties including a purple worm summoned on top of me. Fortunately,
I had TWO magic harps, and whenever a suitable pet got close I would
tame it with the harp. I eventually had 5(!) tame purple worms roaming
the astral, devouring angels and priests alike in one turn. I must
confess the multiple "Buurrrrrp!" messages gave me the giggles.
8. First time brain eaten by mindflayer. Lesson: Even if you have to
burn a wish, make sure the darn things are genocided before entering
Gehennom.
9. First time fought Death hand-to-hand. I had feared his touch, but
when he finally caught me and I saw I wasn't losing max hp potential
but only current HP (easily fixed with ! of full healing) I cast aside
restraint and beat him down.
10. First time I have to hit all the astral altars. First time fight
all three horsemen, killing Death 5 times, Pestilence twice and famine
once. Shriveled once by famine but I must have been full enough I
didn't even get hungry.
11. First time successfully navigate on plane of water. I see the
portal, I see the direction it's drifting in. I stuck on the ring of
levitation and chased it down. This is also why I wound up on astral
with =ofConflict, because I keep it on in water so that the electric
eels will have something else to pick on besides me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

"If you hadn't swallowed that fallacy, you could rescue some gameplay
from
the mind flayer mechanic with an interesting memory challenge rather
than
just checking notes."

Except, as far as I'm concerned, there was no gameplay to rescue.

Solving challenging puzzles is gameplay. Fighting monsters is gameplay.
Outsmarting Rodney is gameplay. Learning to identify stuff the first
time without an identify scroll is gameplay.

Spending hours remapping the dungeon is not gameplay. It is tedious.
Necessary, in game context, but tedious.

Loss of the identity database is not fun; it is an irritant at best
and lethal at worse.

I found my own solution to the mindwipe problem -- simple and elegant.
The only complaint I have heard some people raise is that it's
something that happens out of game -- in other words, out of character.
If that is no concern and the only issue is "fun" -- then believe it
or not, notes are "fun" to me. I like using all the wits and tools at
my disposal, especially when it's an elementary problem that instantly
solves something that could otherwise be a major headache. My notes
detail object identification, levels, significant events, spell
timeouts, resistances acquired and lost, most likely instadeaths at
this stage of the game and a plan to thwart each of them, a short
review of my current tactical options and emergency escape routes, and
sometimes a checklist of what I want to do next and a checklist of
items on my expected ascension kit.

All of this detail is "fun" to me. Far more fun than shooting from the
hip and dying again and again. I write down and highlight the fact
that I have a wand of teleportation and a magic harp because of the
times I got killed when I forgot I had them. Others less anal than I
do not enjoy this sort of thing. Don't blame them, but sick human that
I am I love it.

Believe it or not, I have a real life outside of the game world. It
took me several real-time days to get my character to this point. If
you really think I'm going to spend another couple of days -- or even
hours -- real-time scrounging identity scrolls and playing all the
other identity tricks to re-identify everything, on top of the four
hours I lost re-mapping the dungeon, you've got another think coming.
Others may find that fun; I do not.

If you do not mind my asking, how do you deal with it? Obviously your
solution is different than mine.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Quoting <pendell@hotmail.com>:
>happened I was standing right outside Rodney's door, and I decided I
>just didn't have the patience to go through all the dungeon scrounging
>identify scrolls to rebuild my database. I did as much as I could from
>my own memory, but then I realized that was out-of-character too --
>that information was gone from my character's mind, so any rebuilding
>of that info short of re-identifying was OOC,

This is a neat illustration of why the fallacy that it's a roleplaying
game is so corrosive. There isn't any character to be out of.

--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Monday, September.

Quoting <pendell@hotmail.com>:
>David Damerell:
[Stupid quoting style corrected]
>>If you hadn't swallowed that fallacy, you could rescue some gameplay from
>>the mind flayer mechanic with an interesting memory challenge rather than
>>just checking notes.
>Except, as far as I'm concerned, there was no gameplay to rescue.

You don't find tests of memory interesting? Ever?

[Even if you don't, rejecting the roleplaying fallacy doesn't preclude you
looking at your notes if you don't want to play the memory game.]

>Spending hours remapping the dungeon is not gameplay.

I don't remember saying anything about dungeon maps.

>Loss of the identity database is not fun; it is an irritant at best
>and lethal at worse.

It's certainly an irritant; but once it's lost, isn't it more fun to have
a challenge of memory and reidentification?

>I found my own solution to the mindwipe problem -- simple and elegant.
>The only complaint I have heard some people raise is that it's
>something that happens out of game -- in other words, out of character.

Well, no, not in other words "out of character". "out of game" is a
well-defined concept.

> If that is no concern and the only issue is "fun" -- then believe it
>or not, notes are "fun" to me. I like using all the wits and tools at
>my disposal, especially when it's an elementary problem that instantly
>solves something that could otherwise be a major headache.

Well, hang on; if you really do enjoy that more, don't let me stop you.
That's fine. Just don't use the nonexistent roleplaying element as a
distraction from doing what you enjoy more.

>Believe it or not, I have a real life outside of the game world.

Well, you got a surprisingly long way before the first ad hominem. Well
done.

>It took me several real-time days to get my character to this point. If
>you really think I'm going to spend another couple of days -- or even
>hours -- real-time scrounging identity scrolls and playing all the
>other identity tricks to re-identify everything, on top of the four
>hours I lost re-mapping the dungeon, you've got another think coming.
>If you do not mind my asking, how do you deal with it?

Well, for one thing, since we're being nasty, I'm a much better player
than you. It doesn't take me several days to get a character to any point,
because I play faster than that; it wouldn't take anything like four hours
to remap the dungeon; and it certainly wouldn't take a couple of days to
re-identify everything - more like five minutes. I'd infer most of my
stuff from context - I guess you don't enjoy the memory game because yours
is really lousy - level teleport to my stash, grab my large reserve of
spare identify scrolls (which I have because I make efficient use of my
resources) and re-ID everything in no time at all. Plus, I don't get
mindflayed with any significant frequency.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Tuesday, September.

>>It's certainly an irritant; but once it's lost, isn't it more fun to have
a challenge of memory and reidentification? <<

Nope.

"Well, you got a surprisingly long way before the first ad hominem.
Well
done. "

Sorry 'bout that. My bad.

>>Well, for one thing, since we're being nasty, I'm a much better player
than you.<<

Good for you.

>>I guess you don't enjoy the memory game because yours
is really lousy<<

More like I simply don't see the point in playing it. Simple
efficiency. Why do something over when with a little more effort doing
it once is all it takes?

>>grab my large reserve of
spare identify scrolls (which I have because I make efficient use of my

resources) and re-ID everything in no time at all.<<

I have better uses for spare scrolls then redoing a task that I already
did once.

Hmm ... do you use characters that can reliably cast identify? I ask
because I had them coming out my ears when I played a wizard, and had a
much harder time with them as a Valk.

So .. and this is not an ad hominem but a serious question .. how do
you efficiently make use of your identify scrolls?

>> Plus, I don't get
mindflayed with any significant frequency. <<

Neither do I. In three ascensions and approx 12 other games I have
encountered perhaps 6 mindflayers and been mindflayed exactly once.
But as far as I'm concerned, once is too often.

Enjoy your game; I will enjoy mine. And I'm sorry for the ad hominem.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pend...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have better uses for spare scrolls then redoing a task that I already
> did once.

By the late mid-game I often have enough spares that I
start putting them in polypiles once i'm no longer in
danger from flayers.

> Hmm ... do you use characters that can reliably cast identify? I ask
> because I had them coming out my ears when I played a wizard, and had a
> much harder time with them as a Valk.

Definitely use the spell and spend the scrolls some other
way. A level 30 Valk properly kitted will bget down to
60ish % failure on ID spell. Plenty enough.

> So .. and this is not an ad hominem but a serious question .. how do
> you efficiently make use of your identify scrolls?

Water walking boots, pool in the Quest or Medusa. Stack
a bunch of scrolls. Dip them to blank. So far this is
the smae general plan as a holy water factory. Then use
magic markers to read the specific desired scrolls.
That's where it's different from holy water as magic
markers are a more limited resource than blanked identify
scrolls. It's easy to end upwith a stack of many blank
scrolls waiting for another magic marker.

In article news:<1127414125.977488.263850@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
> Water walking boots, pool in the Quest or Medusa. Stack
> a bunch of scrolls. Dip them to blank.

Fountains can be turned into pools by digging down into them. Note a pool
will not appear directly under you.

Quoting <pendell@hotmail.com>:
>David Damerell:
[Another excreable quoting style corrected. Can't you see how everyone
else does it?
>>grab my large reserve of
>>spare identify scrolls (which I have because I make efficient use of my
>>resources) and re-ID everything in no time at all.
>I have better uses for spare scrolls then redoing a task that I already
>did once.

Like what? Polypile fodder, I guess, but it can't be for blanking because
blank scrolls are in enormously supply.

>Hmm ... do you use characters that can reliably cast identify?

It doesn't have to be reliable, it just has to be high enough that you can
get your stuff IDed before running out of mana. Any character can do that.

>how do you efficiently make use of your identify scrolls?

Use other techniques to ID as many objects as possible; read ID scrolls
(except when somehow desperate) only blessed, with suitable luck, and with
as many unIDed objects in main inventory as possible - ideally in a safe
location with 51 unIDed objects, and in any case with a lot, resisting the
urge to burn an ID scroll every time you find one new object type - in the
middle game you generally aren't hurting for anything _right now_ no
matter what it is.

I expect to have a dozen or more ID scrolls in my stash by the end, and it
would be more if I didn't stop collecting them after a while.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Thursday, September.