Thanks Winifred the (Deceased) Wizard

Just found a bones pile in Minetown of the unfortunate Winifred the
wizard. In the pile there was a cursed bad. Since I am short on holy
water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?
or do I have to wait ubntil I can make some holy water?

Batman? wrote:
> Just found a bones pile in Minetown of the unfortunate Winifred the
> wizard. In the pile there was a cursed bad. Since I am short on holy
> water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?
> or do I have to wait ubntil I can make some holy water?

Can you even lift it? If you can't even pick it up, it's likely that
it's a cursed BoH.

If you can lift it, then you can't quite tell. Now, you are in
Minetown, are you? Drop it at the alter and see if it's cursed.

If it is not cursed, then you have a bag...try to *just barely* burden
yourself, then put an item (Don't put another bag or unknown wand...)
into the bag after you are barely burdened. If you unburden yourself
by putting an item into it, it's an uncursed/blessed BoH.

If it is cursed, then, see if you can bring yourself to just *under*
the threashhold of unburdened/burdened, burdened/stressed, or
stressed/overtaxed. Then, put an item (that you don't care if you lose
it) into the bag. If your burden status worsen by putting an item into
the bag, then it's a cursed BoH.

-K

Stick a wand of cancellation in it. If it blows up in your face, it was
a bag of holding :).

Just kidding! Don't do that, really.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Batman? wrote:
> Just found a bones pile in Minetown of the unfortunate Winifred the
> wizard. In the pile there was a cursed bad. Since I am short on holy
> water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?
> or do I have to wait ubntil I can make some holy water?

Well, you could open it and see if anything vanishes, but that's not a
very good idea.

In article news:<1127224232.850441.210330@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Batman? <fermat111@hotmail.com> says...
> do I have to wait ubntil I can make some holy water?

Or acquire a non cursed ?oRemove Curse. With an u?oRC, wield the bag before
reading the scroll. +oRC similarly.

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

fermat111@hotmail.com wrote:
> Just found a bones pile in Minetown of the unfortunate Winifred the
> wizard. In the pile there was a cursed bad. Since I am short on holy
> water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?
> or do I have to wait ubntil I can make some holy water?

Cursed BoHs can have objects vanish from them when you loot them. Apart
from that, I don't think there is any good way of testing it for BoHness
without uncursing it.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

In article <1127224232.850441.210330@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Batman? <fermat111@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Just found a bones pile in Minetown of the unfortunate Winifred the
>wizard. In the pile there was a cursed bad. Since I am short on holy
>water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?

Loot it. If 1/13 of the items in it disappear, it's a bag of holding.

The normal tactic is to zap the bag with a wand of cancellation, which
will change it into an uncursed bag of holding[1]. You can then get at
the loot.

Using #name on another bag of holding (or on all the other types of bag)
will tell you if this one is a bag of holding or not, but that may not
actually be too useful.

Cheers,

Phil

[1] assuming it was a bag of holding in the first place...

--
Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

Kremti wrote:
> Batman? wrote:
>> [snip] there was a cursed ba[g]. Since I am short on holy
>> water, and it is cursed, how do I check to see if it is a BoH or not?

> If you can lift it, then you can't quite tell. Now, you are in
> Minetown, are you? Drop it at the alter and see if it's cursed.

I have a feeling he/she already knows whether or not the bag is cursed.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

Zarel wrote:
> Kremti wrote:
> > Batman? wrote:
> >> [snip]
> I have a feeling he/she already knows whether or not the bag is cursed.

He. And it doesnt matter, since I had My rear end handed to me by the
co aligned priest in town. He took exception to me saccing one of my
own race on his alter. uptight bastard.

Zarel wrote:
<snip>
> I have a feeling he/she already knows whether or not the bag is cursed.

Doh! It helps to read, doesn't it.

The lift/burden check still is valid though :D

-K