Computer desk

jon the cpa

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I didn't see a better place to put this, so mods, please let me know if this is in the wrong place.

I am looking for a good desk that can hold my computer. I would prefer something L-shaped, as I do a lot of classwork/business work on paper. I also want something with enough room for both my 23" monitors. I do NOT want an enclosed computer cabinet. I want my computer to either sit inside the leg area or on top of the desk....darn things needs to breathe.

I would prefer something dark wood based, or maybe even black. I want something well built and that requires little (or no) assembly.

Anyone have any praise for a desk they have/had?

a local retail store was getting rid of some clothing display tables and i managed to snag one. i glued on a formica top and banded the edges for $40 and it looks good as new. 2 1/2 feet deep by about 7 feet wide. honestly getting ahold of some well built furniture in need of some TLC is better then buying most new computer desks.

if you want well built then check out some discount (read: imported from 3rd world country) real wood furniture at some local stores. most states have them. product quality is average to great but you can not beat the prices considering they are made out of real wood.

most of the desks you find at office stores, electronics stores and other retail outlets are either flakeboard or glass and metal. both are often flimy or fragile and i would not suggest putting too much faith in them. of course some are built better than others.

business (professional) office furniture often can be a little more well built depending on source.

-----

if you want wood, no assembly (hence no flakeboard kit furniture) its going to cost you. either you can buy some usa made furniture for $$$$ or foreign made furniture for $$. both are a good choice and will last for many years.

a $ solution would be to refinish the top on an old throwaway desk. i know i've had mine for over 10 years now

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
If you're looking for cheap and convenient I would just go to your local office store or build your own if you know how. If money is no issue there are tons of nice ones you can find just by searching online. I have had my eye on a few at Ikea, but if you wan't guaranteed quality you will have to pay a premium or build your own.