NIB64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Why were you on macosrumors.com ANYWAY?
AAAAAHHHHHH!
MAC LOVER!
Run!

-NIB64

Big Brother is watching. Dress accordingly.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We share technology with Apple, and we are developing custom cluter management software for OS X, porting from turbolinux to FreeBSD is done, except QTdevel from troll.no for OS X is less than desireable.

New 3.0beta was just posted on the 26th. drop by troll.no and check it out.

OS X.1 or 10.1 is due out soon to developers, expect huge changes in performance, apps are measured in "bounces" currently IE takes 4~5 bounces to launch. in 10.1 it will take half bounce. also configure.guess will be included.

Sorry, gnome interface cannot be installed after many talks with OMNI group. They intended AQUA to be the only interfaced used on OS X.

Hypertransport is rated @ 1.6GBps, thats inferior in todays x86 arena. AMD has invested undisclosed millions on NUMA rated at the same, now investing in Hypertransport to befriend Apple and sit on the consorteum. I wouldn't be supprised if AMD confesses that the Hammer is SMP on a chip and will be sold as such. Harder to believe that EV6 was kicked to the curb (1.2GBps) and replaced with Hypertransport. I forsee more delays in the Hammer as well. At least they have a theory on improving SMP on a chip and forcing 64 word thru it. but its still not the same as true64 bit.

Another giant currently kicking some ass that you most likely dont know about yet. Hitachi

http://www.top500.org/lists/2001/06/

Notice number of processors vs others, yeah. beating up IBM, SGI, and SUN systems that have thousands of processors advantage. SR10K GL finding info on it yet, Hitachi is pretty tight with information those numbers posted are SR8k based clusters.

http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/microprocessors.html

FatBurger

Illustrious
Hey, speaking of Macs, <A HREF="http://www.bannoy.com/bannoy/features/articles/iboard.shtml" target="_new">here</A> is a funny link, courtesy of HardOCP.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
This very disturbing news. I very much dislike Apple, and fear that if they team up with Apple, I will start disliking AMD as well. Just as I though Apple would go out of business b/c teh Sledgehammer and the G5. Sad.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
please people...not to flame but I use both a Mac and a Windows machine and like different things about both machines. My trusty Mac is much easier to use and could do things years and years ago that Windows has only been able to do in the last few years. Windows has more games but personally I play games on my home theater not on my little computer screen.

I duuno, Apple is much classier than Microsoft ...when do you ever see a PC in a movie? Almost never you always see slick little MACs.

But then I just built a PC system from the ground up and yes I know you can't really do that with a MAC yet but maybe in time everyone will run the same hardware and all we will have is choice in OS and software. That sounds like a perfect world to me especially after previewing Windows XP...it's a fricking childs toy and I would be embarrased to have it running my computer. Of course Apple's OSX looks pretty fruity as well. But who are we?

Eric

<i>"I am what I am"</i>

G

what are these things that apple has been able to do but a PC is only just starting to? Certainly not hardware multitasking and SMP. Two pretty big ones that the PC has been much farther ahead than Apple. the only thing i can think of is color management, which is very important in the real world of digital imaging so by no means am i disregarding mac altogether. they just have a very limited area of expertise.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well if AMD choose PowerPC for the future then there doomed. Companys like compaq, dell, gateway wont support PowerPC systems.

Well AMD choose to go the IA64 route in the future they wont be doomed.

Anyway you put it. APPLE IS DOOMED !!

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

it it is true that AMD will make products for the Mac i doubt they will give up make products for the PC as IBM and Motorola don't only make processors for the Mac. in fact it could be good for AMD giving them more markets to sell products making them a stronger company overall.

also people have been saying that Apple has been doomed for many many years, yet they seem to get stronger not weaker. don't get me wrong i think PCs are way better but i hardly think Mac will disappear any time soon.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD new selling ideas:

"Buy an Athlon help support the Apple platform by suppling us with the money"

If they do i wont look at any AMD product again.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
It's true that the MAC didn't have hardware multitasking and protected memory but could anyone really tell the difference in real world situations? How often do most users do two things at once? And my PC fatally crashes at home and at work much more often than my MAC does...

Anyways, I wouldn't buy a new MAC right now but like others have been saying they're still around. And honestly I like having options and competition. I remember when Apple was dying a few years back and look who came to their rescue - Microsoft. I think Microsoft wants a rival to keep the Monopoly chanters at bay.

Imagine a world where only microsoft rules??????? What would we all fight about then ;)

Eric

<i>"I am what I am"</i>

G

this doesn't make sense to me. so you won't buy an Intel product because Intel sells/develops products for the Mac?

NIB64

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
A one-button keyboard has to be the most retarded idea i've heard in a long time. MORSE CODE?!? How long would it take you to write up a resume?

-NIB64

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
How often do I do two things at once? A lot. Also, since moving up to Win 2000, I haven't had a crash. It's rock solid, unlike the new iMacs my school went out and bought.

One other thing, to get your sig to work right, use [ and ] not < and >.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

G

>Well if AMD choose PowerPC for the future then there
>doomed. Companys like compaq, dell, gateway wont support
>PowerPC systems.
>
>Well AMD choose to go the IA64 route in the future they
>wont be doomed. Anyway you put it. APPLE IS DOOMED !!

Think again...
1) PowerPc is having a real hard time scaling to x86 performance levels; also, afaik there is no 64 bit version in sight.
2) Apple is getting fed up with Motorola.
3) Mac OS X is a Unix derivate, that should be easy to port to another architecture (such as x86)

1+2+3=?

What would be the most logical decision ? Build a Mac with an AMD x86-64 cpu inside ! Perhaps an Barton+Altivec or something. It would be good for Apple for sure, they could use more widespread industry standard components.. have a (probably) very powerfull 64 bit(ish) architecture, and not have to compete directly with existing x86 platforms (It would still be a Mac, with software & OS that only works on Mac.) Yet, it would be a lot easier for application developpers to port a PC app to an "AMD Mac"

The advantages fror AMD are obvious.

I love the idea. It wont make me buy a Mac, but it really makes sense, no ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
So is amd gonna end up licensing MMX, SSE, SSE2 and Altivec? They'll also have their own 3D-NOW! and Enhanced 3D-NOW!.

Their combination of Enhance 3DNOW! and SSE is 3DNow! Professional. So whats it gonna be called when they have all of the above?

It would be cool though. but it will need quite a bit of silicon.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

>So is amd gonna end up licensing MMX, SSE, SSE2 and
>Altivec?

I never said "is".. it was just a thought.

>Their combination of Enhance 3DNOW! and SSE is 3DNow!
>Professional. So whats it gonna be called when they have
>all of the above?

They wouldnt need to.. I mean, they could create an Apple version of the hammer/barton/whatever, without 3D Now, or SSE.. Just with Altivec, and maybe, to make life of videocard driver programmers easier, also SSE2. Once again, this is pure speculation on my part though..

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Apple has rights to purchase all PowerPC assets from Motorola in the contract.

Apple is producing a 64bit processor, called the G5

OS X is protected memory OS. finally! supposed to multitask too =P