Dimension 4500 video problem

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 7, 2004 4:13:54 PM

I have a Dimension 4500 running XP and started experiencing video
problems some time ago after completing a relatively minor Windows
update (don't remember which one several were done in a short time).
No other changes were made.

When I switch between windows very often my display will blank out for
a second or two. Many times when I switch between windows the display
fails to refresh properly and I end up with remnants of the "old"
window on the "new" one. Nothing is permanent, and the display seem to
get fixed by simply alt-tab'ing one or two more times. I also get the
blanking problem sometimes upon closing or opening a window.

I have also seen visual corruption of toolbars which is fixed by
simply passing the mouse pointer over the affected areas.

It was suggested that I update my video drivers. I am using a nVidia
GeForce4 MX420. Trouble is the Dell support website dates their
"updated" driver 10/10/02 but the driver I have installed is dated
10/06/03! I checked the nVidia website and they are now using a
unified driver system for all of their products and the new driver
files seem to be totally different than what Dell has.

After reading recent threads here I have made sure I updated my BIOS
to the latest for this machine (A04) and I just installed SP2 with no
problems. The machine is running perfectly but my video problem still
persists.

If anyone out there can provide some feedback I would greatly
appreciate it.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:32:21 PM

"Claude" <claude@claude.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 4500 running XP and started experiencing video
> problems some time ago after completing a relatively minor Windows
> update (don't remember which one several were done in a short time).
> No other changes were made.
>
> When I switch between windows very often my display will blank out for
> a second or two. Many times when I switch between windows the display
> fails to refresh properly and I end up with remnants of the "old"
> window on the "new" one. Nothing is permanent, and the display seem to
> get fixed by simply alt-tab'ing one or two more times. I also get the
> blanking problem sometimes upon closing or opening a window.
>
> I have also seen visual corruption of toolbars which is fixed by
> simply passing the mouse pointer over the affected areas.
>
> It was suggested that I update my video drivers. I am using a nVidia
> GeForce4 MX420. Trouble is the Dell support website dates their
> "updated" driver 10/10/02 but the driver I have installed is dated
> 10/06/03! I checked the nVidia website and they are now using a
> unified driver system for all of their products and the new driver
> files seem to be totally different than what Dell has.
>
> After reading recent threads here I have made sure I updated my BIOS
> to the latest for this machine (A04) and I just installed SP2 with no
> problems. The machine is running perfectly but my video problem still
> persists.
>
> If anyone out there can provide some feedback I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Sounds as if your card grabbed the Microsoft update drivers for your video
card. Try going into device manager, clicking on the card properties and
driver tab, and "rollback" the card driver.

As a second option, search with google for the latest (NVidia) detonator
drivers, then download and install them (they work on all GeForce cards,
even OEM versions).

Stew
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 4:47:55 PM

Could it be that your monitor is about to give up the ghost? Try your
computer with another monitor.

Otherwise, it sounds like your video driver was corrupted. Not your fault -
even computers have bad hair days.

You could simply reinstall the driver that came with your PC, carefully
following Dell's instructions.

In general, the drivers offered by Dell are not as up to date as the drivers
offered on the manufacturer's web site. But that's because Dell tests every
driver they offer, so they can guarantee that it will work with your
computer. That means they will support the drivers on their web site - but
not any others. If you have a problem with a driver you obtained from the
manufacturer, or if it causes problems for your computer, Dell won't help
you out. However, the manufacturer should.

If you carefully follow the installation instructions on nVidia's web site,
you will have no trouble updating your driver. Let nVidia worry about the
technical details. That's part of their job.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Claude" <claude@claude.com> wrote in message
> I have a Dimension 4500 running XP and started experiencing video
> problems some time ago after completing a relatively minor Windows
> update (don't remember which one several were done in a short time).
> No other changes were made.
>
> When I switch between windows very often my display will blank out for
> a second or two. Many times when I switch between windows the display
> fails to refresh properly and I end up with remnants of the "old"
> window on the "new" one. Nothing is permanent, and the display seem to
> get fixed by simply alt-tab'ing one or two more times. I also get the
> blanking problem sometimes upon closing or opening a window.
>
> I have also seen visual corruption of toolbars which is fixed by
> simply passing the mouse pointer over the affected areas.
>
> It was suggested that I update my video drivers. I am using a nVidia
> GeForce4 MX420. Trouble is the Dell support website dates their
> "updated" driver 10/10/02 but the driver I have installed is dated
> 10/06/03! I checked the nVidia website and they are now using a
> unified driver system for all of their products and the new driver
> files seem to be totally different than what Dell has.
>
> After reading recent threads here I have made sure I updated my BIOS
> to the latest for this machine (A04) and I just installed SP2 with no
> problems. The machine is running perfectly but my video problem still
> persists.
>
> If anyone out there can provide some feedback I would greatly
> appreciate it.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 4:47:39 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate the help.
!