Recording and watching TV programs for Palm

March 6, 2005 3:45:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I record TV programs on a TV card, convert them and then watch them on a T3.
You need a PC/mac with a TV card. The sequence is:
- Record the TV program on the PC which saves it onto hard disk. I save in
MPEG2 format which means you need a lot of spare Gb on your hard drive.
- Use a freeware program called VirtualdubMPEG2 to trim out the adverts,
crop and resize it and then save it as either a Divx or Xvid file. These are
file formats which compress the file to a small size. I have found the
settings for a T3 by trial and error, but the best results seem to be a
picture of 480x320 with the sound in mono.
- Transfer the files to a SD card.
- Watch on the T3 using MMplayer which is a movie & sound player for the
palm.
I get very reasonable video and audio at a filesize of 125Mb per hour of
video. A 1 hour program with all the ads trimmed out usually takes 100Mb.
You can get about 8 hours of TV on a 1Gb SD card.
Plusses: You get decent quality TV on your palm.
Minuses: There is a steepish learning curve with regard to video conversion.
You have to spend time on programming your TV card and later converting the
file and loading it on a SD card; I estimate about 10 mins per TV program.
T3 battery life- I can probably watch a couple of hours on a fully charged
T3 before battery death. I solved the battery life issue by buying a 4xAA
'battery extender' on Ebay with a supply of rechargeable AA batteries. I
reckon with 4 charged AAs, I could watch TV continuously for about 6 hours.
Mick
PS This is not promotional, I am not linked to anyone selling anything. I
have never seen this discussed, so I thought i'd throw it in.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:15:56 AM

"Penster" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message

> I estimate about 10 mins per TV program.

Between taking out the commercials AND converting from mpeg2 to divx AND
copying to SD card, I'd think you'd be spending more time than that behind
the keyboard. But let's assume the 10 mins per program is accurate.

Lets review the costs, the time involved and the benefits:

COST:

We'll leave out the PDA, as it should be a given that you already have one.

External power (~$30 for power2go) -- and that will give you what? 2 hours
of video playback? I hightly question your 6 hour playback, but we'll go
with that.

1GB SD card (~$90) -- for about 8 hours of video (that you can't watch on a
single charge WITH power2go)

mmplayer (~$15)

4 AA batteries (if you go with the extender) (~$5 per 6 hours -- OR ~$8 for
regargables + ~$10 for a charger)

You are looking at an out of pocket cost of around $130 at least. That's
about the price point of a low end DVD player which usually play
VCD/SVCD/MP3, too. I got mine for $150, it plays for 5 hours on a single
charge, plays 8 hours of mp3 playback with the screen turned off.

TIME:

10 mins per program (doubt it, but whatever) -- so one 1GB card with 8 1
hour shows would take up about 1 1/2 hours of your time.

Then there's the cost time involved in deleteing old programs and moving on
NEW programs. It takes a while (even with FAST SD cards) to fill up 1 gig.

I'm not willing to kill nearly 1 1/2 hours of my time for 6-8 hours of tv
programming. This doesn't even include the time the computer spends
re-encoding the mpeg2 to divx (granted, you dont NEED to be in front the the
PC, but you cant really do much before it's done -- maybe 5-15 mins per hour
of video. And it's about the size of paperback book.

I just burn the .mpgs to a CD and play them on my portable DVD player.
Takes about 5 mins per disk and about 1 to 2 hours per disk. Period.

BENEFITS:

You get to carry an extra battery pack/cable.
You get the spend about 1 1/2 per of "busy work" per 1 GB SD card full of
video .
You get to burn up AA batteries.

Seriously. The only BENEFIT I see is the "geek factor" of being able to
play the latest Battlestar Galactica on your PDA.

If it's worth your time/effort/money to do this, enjoy! I consider my time
more valuable. Then again, I can kill mountains of time reading books --
and many people (like my wife) would consider that a waste of time... To
each their own...

-jhon
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 2:15:57 AM

John Ryan wrote:

> "Penster" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>
>> I estimate about 10 mins per TV program.
>
> Between taking out the commercials AND converting from mpeg2 to divx AND
> copying to SD card, I'd think you'd be spending more time than that behind
> the keyboard. But let's assume the 10 mins per program is accurate.
>
> Lets review the costs, the time involved and the benefits:
>
> COST:
>
> We'll leave out the PDA, as it should be a given that you already have
> one.
>
> External power (~$30 for power2go) -- and that will give you what? 2
> hours
> of video playback? I hightly question your 6 hour playback, but we'll go
> with that.
>
> 1GB SD card (~$90) -- for about 8 hours of video (that you can't watch on
> a single charge WITH power2go)
>
> mmplayer (~$15)
>
> 4 AA batteries (if you go with the extender) (~$5 per 6 hours -- OR ~$8
> for regargables + ~$10 for a charger)
>
> You are looking at an out of pocket cost of around $130 at least. That's
> about the price point of a low end DVD player which usually play
> VCD/SVCD/MP3, too. I got mine for $150, it plays for 5 hours on a single
> charge, plays 8 hours of mp3 playback with the screen turned off.
>
> TIME:
>
> 10 mins per program (doubt it, but whatever) -- so one 1GB card with 8 1
> hour shows would take up about 1 1/2 hours of your time.
>
> Then there's the cost time involved in deleteing old programs and moving
> on
> NEW programs. It takes a while (even with FAST SD cards) to fill up 1
> gig.
>
> I'm not willing to kill nearly 1 1/2 hours of my time for 6-8 hours of tv
> programming. This doesn't even include the time the computer spends
> re-encoding the mpeg2 to divx (granted, you dont NEED to be in front the
> the PC, but you cant really do much before it's done -- maybe 5-15 mins
> per hour
> of video. And it's about the size of paperback book.
>
> I just burn the .mpgs to a CD and play them on my portable DVD player.
> Takes about 5 mins per disk and about 1 to 2 hours per disk. Period.
>
> BENEFITS:
>
> You get to carry an extra battery pack/cable.
> You get the spend about 1 1/2 per of "busy work" per 1 GB SD card full of
> video .
> You get to burn up AA batteries.
>
> Seriously. The only BENEFIT I see is the "geek factor" of being able to
> play the latest Battlestar Galactica on your PDA.

As opposed to the geek factor of carrying around multiple gadgets.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Penster <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

> I record TV programs on a TV card, convert them and then watch them on a T3.
> You need a PC/mac with a TV card. The sequence is:
> - Record the TV program on the PC which saves it onto hard disk. I save in
> MPEG2 format which means you need a lot of spare Gb on your hard drive.
> - Use a freeware program called VirtualdubMPEG2 to trim out the adverts,
> crop and resize it and then save it as either a Divx or Xvid file. These are
> file formats which compress the file to a small size. I have found the
> settings for a T3 by trial and error, but the best results seem to be a
> picture of 480x320 with the sound in mono.
> - Transfer the files to a SD card.
> - Watch on the T3 using MMplayer which is a movie & sound player for the
> palm.
> I get very reasonable video and audio at a filesize of 125Mb per hour of
> video. A 1 hour program with all the ads trimmed out usually takes 100Mb.
> You can get about 8 hours of TV on a 1Gb SD card.
> Plusses: You get decent quality TV on your palm.
> Minuses: There is a steepish learning curve with regard to video conversion.
> You have to spend time on programming your TV card and later converting the
> file and loading it on a SD card; I estimate about 10 mins per TV program.
> T3 battery life- I can probably watch a couple of hours on a fully charged
> T3 before battery death. I solved the battery life issue by buying a 4xAA
> 'battery extender' on Ebay with a supply of rechargeable AA batteries. I
> reckon with 4 charged AAs, I could watch TV continuously for about 6 hours.
> Mick
> PS This is not promotional, I am not linked to anyone selling anything. I
> have never seen this discussed, so I thought i'd throw it in.

Each to their own, I'd rather do something else with my time, life is
too short to be spent inactively watching too much stuff on telly,
spending hours converting material to watch on a Palm sound ridiculous
to me...
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:10:08 AM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> writes:
> > Seriously. The only BENEFIT I see is the "geek factor" of being able to
> > play the latest Battlestar Galactica on your PDA.
>
> As opposed to the geek factor of carrying around multiple gadgets.

Really, the benefit is to get your money worth back.

When you have a $500 multimedia computer with 64MB RAM, 1GB SDRAM,
and a 400MHz RISC processor, you want to exercise it, and video
rendering is a good application.

The world will now reboot. don't bother saving your artefacts.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:51:25 PM

On 2005-03-07, Keith <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Each to their own, I'd rather do something else with my time, life is
> too short to be spent inactively watching too much stuff on telly,
> spending hours converting material to watch on a Palm sound ridiculous
> to me...

Could be useful for those of us who spend a lot of time in hotels,
it's a shame the Palm can't read files from a USB disc or DVD player,
I have a 30 gig disc that I take movies to hotels on. My tastes in
movies aren't shared by most (early 1960's sci-fi for example) so
watching the latest blockbuster isn't my cup of tea.

If the palm could play back mpeg2/4 or avi files using divx directly
from a large external storage device while also receiving power, then
I'd have a crack at it. Converting the files and writing them to an
external SD card is too much of a PITA for me.

The original article was of use though, despite all the harping on
about it that's gone on in this thread.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Ian
The PITA factor is a drawback. Where I find the palm the most useful is when
I go to the gym. It is a very good boredom beater.
Mick
"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
> On 2005-03-07, Keith <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Each to their own, I'd rather do something else with my time, life is
> > too short to be spent inactively watching too much stuff on telly,
> > spending hours converting material to watch on a Palm sound ridiculous
> > to me...
>
> Could be useful for those of us who spend a lot of time in hotels,
> it's a shame the Palm can't read files from a USB disc or DVD player,
> I have a 30 gig disc that I take movies to hotels on. My tastes in
> movies aren't shared by most (early 1960's sci-fi for example) so
> watching the latest blockbuster isn't my cup of tea.
>
> If the palm could play back mpeg2/4 or avi files using divx directly
> from a large external storage device while also receiving power, then
> I'd have a crack at it. Converting the files and writing them to an
> external SD card is too much of a PITA for me.
>
> The original article was of use though, despite all the harping on
> about it that's gone on in this thread.
>
> --
> For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:46:20 AM

On 2005-03-10, Penster <xxx@xxx.com> wrote:

> Ian
> The PITA factor is a drawback. Where I find the palm the most useful is when
> I go to the gym. It is a very good boredom beater.
> Mick

I find gazing at the bouncing boobies to be much more fun, until I get
thrown out at least. Apparently I'm supposed to be a member.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
March 11, 2005 10:07:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,uk.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I've found Kinoma very handy for putting video in my pocket. I'm not
likely to put whole TV shows on there, but It's great to pull out my
phone (treo600) and show someone some video of your latest adventure,
some bit of footage you pulled from a good movie or the latest and
greatest video clip.

I totally support your where-and-when-you-want-it philosophy there
Penster. It's fun, it puts us in charge of our media instead of being a
victim of it.

Seb

PS, portable DVD player?? BOLLOCKS TO THAT! We have our Palms!

!