Dual P3 -VS- Athlon -- Help?

G

Ok, so, every now and then I price out a PC that I would like to buy. Its usually a pipe dream, but recent financial developments have changed that picture. I try to do a lot of research, but this time I'm rather stumped as to my choices and their meanings. I was hopeing some of you more cpu-savvy people could help me out.

In terms of price/performance I guess I'm looking at the "very decent" type of machine. I've whittled it down to two candidates with the exact same components just different CPU/Mobo/RAM configs. I need to know if I'm choosing good stuff AND which config is faster/better.

Mobo: Abit VP6
Proc: 2x PIII 933MHz
RAM: 2x 512MB SDRAM

I *like* the idea of dual-processor machines but I have no experience on which to base a concept of what speed this type of thing will have.

Mobo: MSI K7 Master-S
Proc: AMD Athlon 1.4GHz (w/266 FSB)
Ram: 2x Micron 256MB DDR PC2100

A lot of articles around the tech sites just gush over the speed and reliability of the Athlon, but I just dont know how this would stack up to the 2xP3. Also, I'm not certain if the mobo's I've chosen would be considered "excellent" pieces.

Any help/information/advice/flame/consternation is welcome.
Thank you.

-Pitchblack

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I think I'd go with the dual Pentium III CPUs with the 1 Gig of SDRAM. Whether you go with a single CPU or two dual CPUs depend on how you plan on using your system. If you're just going to be gaming then a faster single CPU might be a better idea.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Hmmm...depending on how extensive these recent financial developments are, you might consider a dual Athlon system. Otherwise it depends on just what apps you plan to use.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
It's been proven by Anandtech, that a Sinlge Athlon T-Bird 1.2GHz system is much better than a Dual P3 933 setup...I think the Sual P3 was ahead of the athlon in 1 benchmark, and only by a little.....
Dual P3's are a waste of time nowadays....Your better off with a single Athlon, or go for Athlon MP's if you wish (Dual Athlon's) but if your gonna go the Intel road you should look into the P4 Xeon.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!