Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitors, graphics card and motherboard

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 5, 2013 12:09:55 AM

Hello Tomshardware,

I bought a new computer, HP Pavilion HPE-1183, the graphics card is a Amd Hd Radeon 7770, has DL-DVI, HDMI and mDP ports, both my monitors are the same model however only support VGA and DVI, i have my main one hooked up to my graphics card and works absolutely fine. i want to plug in my second monitor but i dont have a VGA/DVI to HDMI/mDP Adapter.. but i noticed that my motherboard has a port for DVI.. would my second monitor be absolutely fine on that port or should i consider buying a DVI>HDMI Adapter?
February 5, 2013 9:54:17 AM

I don't think the motherboard port will work. Can you use a video card AND the graphics of your CPU at the same time ? I've never tried it, but it seems very unlikely. Get an adapter and it will work seamlessly.
February 20, 2013 1:55:24 AM

if you are connecting the monitor to your motherboard port then you are using your processor's video graphic built in like Intel HD 4000. That only means your not getting the better performance of your HD 7770. correct me if im wrong but this sound common sense. furthermore it would depend on your motherboard capability ... i would go into bios and make sure your pci-e and on board gpu built in are both enable! but to understand your question i dont know if its possible to have multi-monitor setup without using the same ports found in your discrete graphic card. One way to figure out is trial and error. Let us know if it works!!!
!