Upcoming Xeon CPU's

G

We a use a number of alpha systems and are thinking about using dual Xeon systems. Current available dual Xeon systems are 1.7GHz. After contacting Intel for guidence on availability/estimated release of Xeon 2.0GHz CPU's I got no reply. Anyone know when to expect 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0GHz Xeon's. Thanks.

heavy number crunching = scientific computing

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
yuo wont be able to do alot of heavy number curnching with this genertation of xeon p4 wait until the new p4 comes out which will some time at the beging of the next year

if you have to get one now look at a dual athlon

go to this post <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1</A>
click on
p4 is a piece of

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

I've looked at and priced dual Athlons and not yet convinced. I agree that comparing FPU for 1.2GHz (dual Athlon) with 1.7GHz (dual Xeon) gives approx same FPU results. But memory bandwidth for Xeon > Athlon.
Price is also about the same: dual Althlon 1.2GHz 1GB DDR (approx $3500) vs dual Xeon 1.7GHz 1GHz PC800 EEC RD (approx $3700 from Dell educational price.)

heavy number crunching + memory bandwidth = scientific computing

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
go here

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1483&p=2" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1483&p=2</A>

this is the most fpu intensive task that i could find

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

sorry i forget where i saw this but the new generation of xeons featuring jackson technology (rumored to be SMT) is not too far off. i'd suggest trying to find out info on these and waiting to see how they turn out.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

G

Thanks for the useful link.

Good article:
Dual 1.7GHz Xeon bandwidth > Dual Athlon 1.2GHz bandwidth,
but the Athlon does beat the Xeon in a number of scores.

I'll have to think about this some more. (By the way the Dell system supports 4GB RDRAM, although I would have a 1-2GB setup. Also 4XAGP Pro110, three 32 bit/33 MHz, two 64 bit/66 MHz, and gigabit ethernet adapter (10/100/1000)).

Returning to original question. If anyone has info on upcoming Xeon CPU's I'd appreciate it. Six month timeline is my max wait.

Best,
Laurence

G

Anyone know if there are new Xeon systems coming out with support for DDRAM or SDRAM ?

G

Forget AMD fan the only thing they got is the old benchmark at anadtech.All benchmark was pretty bad on dual cpu.We still dont know what is the best.Good advice wait to compare Northwood vs Atlon 4 (pal).

G

When are Northwood systems expected, and what are the expected improvements ?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
formt he road map the north ood is expect some time in the first to seconmd quater next year

it will be the owrginall design for the p4

it will have a second fpu on like it was spose to and it will also have 512 kb of l2 cache i think

most of the people here that will be the only p4 worth buying

i personel wish i could wait and see what it turn out like but i need a computer now

i pointed you to the athlons becuase right know they have the stronger fpu profomance

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Errr...this has been bugging me for a while now. I can't be the only one who suspects this...

Keeper == juin?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wouldn't expect the Xeons at over 1.7 to be out anytime soon. They take quite a long time to rollout Xeons at the same clock speeds as their regular processors. I could be wrong, but they never even rolled out Xeons at 1Ghz, and they took what seemed like forever to get them up to 933Mhz.
Also, if you're just going for a dual cpu rig, then go for a dual P4 or Athlon, they're far less expensive, and the results are pretty much on par with dual Xeons. If the rig you're going to setup is for scientific calculations and such, L2 cache is not as important as raw FPU performance. A large L2 cache gives a much larger performance boost in a DB environment or a web server environment. To sum it up, a large L2 improves transaction based aplications quite a bit.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Oh, I know quite a bit more about Linux than you can imagine. And unlike you, I actually know how to install a heatsink. :wink:

Kelledin

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
"Oh, I know quite a bit more about Linux than you can imagine. And unlike you, I actually know how to install a heatsink. "

LoL, you push GENTLY on the clip meltdown, GENTLY....did you forget the thermal paste?? WHATS THAT BURNING SMELL!

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

Linux is a toy. Plus I run the most effecient server app for linux if you can tell me what it is ill give you a Tuxedo or something that matches yer eyes. But i already know you dont know what it is so i wount worry.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Linux is a toy.
Too bad Cray, University of Kentucky, and NASA don't agree with you. :tongue:

Plus I run the most effecient server app for linux if you can tell me what it is ill give you a Tuxedo or something that matches yer eyes.

Why should I answer to <i>you? </i> Most of us still remember what a jackass you've been--which is why you stayed on "the list" for so long.

Kelledin

P.S. you're still not truly evil.

G

As far as I can see Kelledin you are the one being a jackass. Fugger or AMDMeltdown post you’re on their case in 2 seconds. You aren’t respectable you are downright mean. You defend a company that could care less what you think. You swear and name call and get ultra territorial over little things (might remind you this is a forum not a bar). See I have a buddy that sounds like you .His name is John Nelson (shush Tbird) and he’s sounds all good and dandy like he knows his stuff when in fact he knows nothing he just reads a book, web site article, magazine article or hear what me and Tbird say and claims he knows it all, just like you. I am not saying you don’t know anything I am saying you sound like him because you always have an answer always an opinion. Oh and please tell me what is the most efficient and reliable Linux server port out there, becuase if I use it to run my beta server for my website, then a few people other than Fredi and my buddy Scott know what it is. So its pretty good chance you know as well. This is constructive criticism not a person attack (wow I can honestly say that) so don’t go freaking on it or something it’s just my views on you nothing more nothing less.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
shhhh.
stop those rational well thought out comments!
otherwise we might have to respect you
(or you change your sig) lol

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Fugger or AMDMeltdown post you’re on their case in 2 seconds
You have a bit of an exaggerated opinion of my response time.

I am "downright mean" towards AmdMeltdown and FUGGER because they are downright ruthless when it comes to posting BS. You have been also, in case you've forgotten.

I used Intel for a long time (they actually were the best before the Athlon came along) and I still have some respect for them. And unlike FUGGER and AmdMeltdown, I don't go spreading happy horsesh|t about either company.

Oh and please tell me what is the most efficient and reliable Linux server port out there
If you're talking ported web server software, you're probably talking Apache, the most ubiquitous web server in existence (sounds like you're running the v2.0 series). Whether it's the most efficient is a matter of personal opinion, but it does support all the important features of a Web server.

If you're talking Linux distro, I'd say either Slackware or Linux from Scratch. But this site seems to run on FreeBSD, so I doubt that's what you want to hear.

Kelledin

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
'k, that explains it. Seeing as you readily admit/explain it, I can't think any less of you for it. :wink:

Kelledin