Dear all,
Tristan the barbarian is in bad shape.
He has killed Juiblex in some way or some
other, incredibly easily, but is now facing a
master lich. All his material is cursed,
most have been forgotten and this lich
seems to be unkillable :-(
Any hint? Just now I,ve driven it to
the up level and I went back down: it forgot to
follow so I can rest a bit ---
Amities,
Olivier

Olivier wrote:

> Dear all,
> Tristan the barbarian is in bad shape.
> He has killed Juiblex in some way or some
> other, incredibly easily, but is now facing a
> master lich. All his material is cursed,
> most have been forgotten and this lich
> seems to be unkillable :-(
> Any hint? Just now I,ve driven it to
> the up level and I went back down: it forgot to
> follow so I can rest a bit ---

There's a certain spot where a master lich (and several other high level
baddies) must go to heal up.

Find that spot.

And keep him off of it.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.

Olivier wrote:
> Dear all,
> Tristan the barbarian is in bad shape.
> He has killed Juiblex in some way or some
> other, incredibly easily, but is now facing a
> master lich. All his material is cursed,
> most have been forgotten and this lich
> seems to be unkillable :-(
> Any hint? Just now I,ve driven it to
> the up level and I went back down: it forgot to
> follow so I can rest a bit ---

Liches are primary candidates for scrolls of genocide.
Otherwise you may want to instakill them; hit them with
a cockatrice corpse (to be wielded in gloved hands, only).
Another possible instakill is using the Vorpal Blade (if
you accidentally have it).
They try to escape to the stairs to heal; don't let them
time to heal, occupy the stairs and use heavy weaponry.
In addition, use wands of slow monster or cancellation.
Use a ring of conflict to make his nasties attack him too.

Janis

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Tristan the barbarian is in bad shape.
> He has killed Juiblex in some way or some
> other, incredibly easily, but is now facing a
> master lich. All his material is cursed,
> most have been forgotten and this lich
> seems to be unkillable :-(
> Any hint? Just now I,ve driven it to
> the up level and I went back down: it forgot to
> follow so I can rest a bit ---
> Amities,
> Olivier

A master lich can cast finger of death, so if you don't have magic
resistance already, the prudent thing to do would be run away, and come
back when you have MR, or some other means to neutralize the lich's
magical attack, i.e. wands of cancellation or polymorph.

But if you still want to take on the lich without MR, I would suggest
luring it downstairs, then fighting it while standing on the downstairs
of the lower level, which will prevent it from teleporting away to heal.

anon <anon@anonn.com> wrote:
>A master lich can cast finger of death,

*Some* master liches (those whose level has been increased due to being
found on a particularly deep dungeon level, or the effects of monster
experience) can cast *touch* of death (a melee attack spell which may,
but is not guaranteed to, kill you if you are neither hallucinating nor
magic-resistant). Some can't.

*No* monster can cast *finger* of death (a ranged attack spell which
duplicates the effect of zapping a wand of death); that's a player spell.

(Not that the distinction matters *much* where master liches are
concerned, since they are covetous and therefore are usually not in
sight of the player unless they are in melee range.)
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

> There's a certain spot where a master lich (and several other high level
> baddies) must go to heal up.
>
> Find that spot.
>
> And keep him off of it.

Got it! This beast came back from upstairs !!!
So now I know they are killable, they better
beware:)
An additionnal question: do I have to "cancel"
them every other turn or does it stay for some
time? For this one I wanted so much to get it
out of the way and not start all over again
that I used lots of my magic:)
Anyway, happy :) Today I'll say this game is
not --only-- for masochists --
Best !
Amities,
Olivier

Olivier wrote:

> An additionnal question: do I have to "cancel"
> them every other turn or does it stay for some
> time?

To my knowledge the effect won't time out, though it
is not guaranteed that a zap would actually hit him.

Janis

My personal suggestion would be an uncursed magic marker and a blessed
blank scroll or blessed MM and uncursed scroll. Then use it to write a
blessed scroll of genocide.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

-- who is still puzzling out monks --

> To my knowledge the effect won't time out, though it
> is not guaranteed that a zap would actually hit him.

Ah ok, thanks ! Olivier

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> My personal suggestion would be an uncursed magic marker and a blessed
> blank scroll or blessed MM and uncursed scroll. Then use it to write a
> blessed scroll of genocide.
>
> Respectfully,

I would have done that, but I don't know how to write that :-(
Best, Amities, Olivier