Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

60hz IPS vs 120hz TN vs Future of both technologies

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
February 5, 2013 9:01:27 PM

I am kicking around the idea of a new monitor. I am currently on an ASUS VH238, and while I've had no problems with it, I'm not in love with it. I love how smooth motion is on 120hz monitors, even down to how smooth the cursor moves in Windows. But I also like the idea of getting resolution above 1080p with better colors on an IPS. There's always give and take when picking between 2 technologies, and something better always comes along as soon as you put the cash down and make your purchase.
So what I'm wondering, is their any word or rumor on a 120hz IPS, or maybe a higher resolution 120hz TN?

I do a little of everything from gaming, movies, internet, etc. I don't really have a set budget, but I'd have a hard time getting away with over $500 from the Mrs. I keep seeing good deals on some ultrasharps, but then catching a review with a special on an ASUS or a BenQ to make me think twice. Any ideas or advice?
a c 105 C Monitor
February 6, 2013 3:28:15 PM

i havent heard of anything in the pc market but i would say both are highly probable.

tv panels are already available in 60, 120 and 240hz and are not tn panels.

we already have seen lcd monitors at 10,000x10,000 resolution in a 20 inch frame in the past so resolution density really isnt an issue. if consumer demand (read: when video and other media supports it) wants a higher resolution we will see products come out.

perhaps the best (or at least the most popular) option is the dell 30" ultrasharp. i've seen them on sale as cheap as mid $700-800. refurbished even cheaper.

honestly a good monitor will outlast any change in aspect ratios. 9 years ago i purchased a viewsonic vp201b 1600x1200 s-ips monitor for $650 and it still more than holds its own. while perhaps not well suited for 16x9 video it is definitely a quality product. i wouldnt doubt 5-10 years or more of additional use.

computer hardware is outdated in 6 months. something else new always comes along and its a neverending cycle. honestly there is no choice except to either do without or purchase whatever is new at the time.

personally i'd stick with big brands like dell, viewsonic, acer and asus. i'd stay away from budget oriented brands like rosewill, benq, and others but if you do your research perhaps you can get a good deal.
m
0
l
February 6, 2013 7:15:45 PM

Catch 22 of technology, the other is always what you should have. The ultrasharp is what actually got me thinking of a new monitor because I saw a 24" refurb for under $200. Are BenQ monitors no good? I've seen a ton of positive reviews on them, so it seemed like a good way to go. I'll probably end up IPS with 1200 resolution, but the 120hz smoothness always gets me. Its tough to compare side by side as Frys doesn't usually have it setup, best buy is a joke, and microcenter is even worse. I saw Asus had a 27" 120hz, but it was a tft lcd, so I'm not quite sure how that would stack up to a 120hz TN.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 105 C Monitor
February 6, 2013 7:50:10 PM

i'm not saying benq is no good only that with budget brands you really have to watch yourself. often people flock to brands because they are cheap only to find out its not what they bargained for. all i'm saying is to make sure of a product before you buy.

i dont see why people always badmouth microcenter. its perhaps the best place for electronics. if not to buy, then at least to compare. they normally have at least 20-30 monitors on display.

m
0
l
February 6, 2013 8:13:50 PM

I'm always over meticulous on product purchases. Once I narrow it down, i'll read multiple reviews, YouTube videos, forums, etc... Just checking out opinions from experts on down to people who think Dell makes awesome computers.

As far as Microcenter, I went last night for the first time to the one in orange county. The selection was pretty rough. I went looking for extension cables for fans and video card, and it was hunt to find some braided ones. They had some monitors setup, but it was mostly the ones that come with the HP in a box, and I had to convince the guy that worked there that there are no 120hz ips panels.. So the quality range wasn't there. There was only a couple different video cards higher than a gtx 660ti, keyboard selection was awful. I'll give credit where credit is due, the stuff they did have was fairly priced, but I had hoped for better selection. If I found something good on the website I might go back for pickup, but otherwise I'd just go to Frys since I would pass it on the way to microcenter.
m
0
l
a c 128 C Monitor
February 6, 2013 11:39:49 PM

I personally wouldn't change what you have until there is new technology or you don't notice the benefits of the 120hz monitor, but you said you do like it when gaming.

If you change now, you'd likely end up with a 60hz low response time IPS monitor, and love the monitor for some things and dislike it for others, which is where you are at now.
m
0
l
March 1, 2014 9:24:53 AM

meeklo062704 said:
I am kicking around the idea of a new monitor. I am currently on an ASUS VH238, and while I've had no problems with it, I'm not in love with it. I love how smooth motion is on 120hz monitors, even down to how smooth the cursor moves in Windows. But I also like the idea of getting resolution above 1080p with better colors on an IPS. There's always give and take when picking between 2 technologies, and something better always comes along as soon as you put the cash down and make your purchase.
So what I'm wondering, is their any word or rumor on a 120hz IPS, or maybe a higher resolution 120hz TN?

I do a little of everything from gaming, movies, internet, etc. I don't really have a set budget, but I'd have a hard time getting away with over $500 from the Mrs. I keep seeing good deals on some ultrasharps, but then catching a review with a special on an ASUS or a BenQ to make me think twice. Any ideas or advice?


120Hz IPS screen, the LG DM92

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/22/hard-choices...

Just surfing the net for a monitor myself and this article is 2 years old.
m
0
l
a c 128 C Monitor
March 1, 2014 9:58:59 AM

user016 said:
meeklo062704 said:
I am kicking around the idea of a new monitor. I am currently on an ASUS VH238, and while I've had no problems with it, I'm not in love with it. I love how smooth motion is on 120hz monitors, even down to how smooth the cursor moves in Windows. But I also like the idea of getting resolution above 1080p with better colors on an IPS. There's always give and take when picking between 2 technologies, and something better always comes along as soon as you put the cash down and make your purchase.
So what I'm wondering, is their any word or rumor on a 120hz IPS, or maybe a higher resolution 120hz TN?

I do a little of everything from gaming, movies, internet, etc. I don't really have a set budget, but I'd have a hard time getting away with over $500 from the Mrs. I keep seeing good deals on some ultrasharps, but then catching a review with a special on an ASUS or a BenQ to make me think twice. Any ideas or advice?


120Hz IPS screen, the LG DM92

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/22/hard-choices...

Just surfing the net for a monitor myself and this article is 2 years old.


You should start your own thread and I hate to break it to you, but that is not a 120hz IPS panel. It is 60hz. Not all 3D techs use 120hz displays. That one is passive and passive 3D does not use 120hz.
m
0
l
March 1, 2014 10:19:48 AM

bystander said:
user016 said:
meeklo062704 said:
I am kicking around the idea of a new monitor. I am currently on an ASUS VH238, and while I've had no problems with it, I'm not in love with it. I love how smooth motion is on 120hz monitors, even down to how smooth the cursor moves in Windows. But I also like the idea of getting resolution above 1080p with better colors on an IPS. There's always give and take when picking between 2 technologies, and something better always comes along as soon as you put the cash down and make your purchase.
So what I'm wondering, is their any word or rumor on a 120hz IPS, or maybe a higher resolution 120hz TN?

I do a little of everything from gaming, movies, internet, etc. I don't really have a set budget, but I'd have a hard time getting away with over $500 from the Mrs. I keep seeing good deals on some ultrasharps, but then catching a review with a special on an ASUS or a BenQ to make me think twice. Any ideas or advice?


120Hz IPS screen, the LG DM92

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/22/hard-choices...

Just surfing the net for a monitor myself and this article is 2 years old.


You should start your own thread and I hate to break it to you, but that is not a 120hz IPS panel. It is 60hz. Not all 3D techs use 120hz displays. That one is passive and passive 3D does not use 120hz.


Was a brief read... And only helping the OP.


m
0
l
!