Techies Help!!!

G

Ok, to start off I was playing a game.. Diablo 2 and all of a sudden it kicked me out to the desktop and it was in 640x480 res and 16 bit color which is not what I normally use. So I restarted the comp and it was still in 16 bit and low res and then this window poped up saying new hardware found it said the hardware was "award winning bios (fail safe)" so it tried to install drivers for it , it then asked me to put in the Win98 cd which I did but however the comp didn't reconize my cd rom or my sound card or my modem or network card. So I called some friends they recommened formating in which I proceeded to do. The windows setup didn't start off to great first off it would rarely get past the preparing the setup wizard part ,most of the time it would freeze there or just do nothing and even when it got past that part it sometimes had a missing file or a weird error, I can't recall that error because it doesn't seem to happen again just freezes. I was wondering if anyone out there knew what was going on with my computer and what I should do. my system specs are
Cpu: Amd 1.4ghz
MB: Asus A7M266
256Mb Ddr
Voodoo 5
20gig hard drive
and some winmodem

Thank you for your time.

The errors I was getting were SUWIN errors and sometimes missing file errors , So my friends suggested to flash my bios to the newest version which I did. After several tries to install windows it finnally worked once everything installed correctly save on suwin error which I choose to ignore. Windows started up to the desktop then I decided to reset it after that to check if it was fully working. It got to the splash screen then right after the splash screen it resets or ask me to reset it and I cannot get past that part. Any Ideas?

Thank you for your time.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
My dad's laptop has been getting the same SUWIN errors when he has been trying to reinstall Win98. I tried to work with it for a couple hours this evening, but couldn't determine what the problem was. He is going to have the people at his work (EDS) look at it tomorrow. If they come up with a solution I will post it here.

G

hard drive problem maybe? maybe some cross-linked files? did you run scandisk? did you check the ms knowledgebase? there is a ton of stuff about suwin (setup) errors on the kb.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is typical of AMD based systems. you get what you pay for. next time take my advice and read a few pages into THG forums and see all the AMD based problems.

AMD sucks ass and your experiancing the high quality and ultimate QA that AMD has to provide.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is typical of Fugger based replies. you get what you pay for. next time take my advice and read a few pages into THG forums and see all the Fugger based problems.

Fugger sucks ass and your experiancing the high quality and ultimate QA that Fugger has to provide.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.