Win XP SP2 Upgrade question

I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to know
is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble a
XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from this
group.

Thanks,
Carolyn
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade question

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to know
    >is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble a
    >XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from this
    >group.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carolyn

    No. Install first, flash later if you have evident need.

    Stew

    With the Prescott, you should update the BIOS first. Otherwise, you won't
    be able to load XP after the first reboot.

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to
    know
    > is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble
    > XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from
    this
    > group.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carolyn

    Carolyn;
    See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
    >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
    >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
    >some sage advice from this group.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carolyn

    How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
    and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
    interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9, Revision
    17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
    that's being referred to?

    "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
    > and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
    > interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
    > Revision
    > 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
    > that's being referred to?

    Prescott has 1mb of L2 Cache versus Northwood's 512kb.

    Stew

    > With the Prescott, you should update the BIOS first. Otherwise, you won't
    > be able to load XP after the first reboot.

    I was not aware of this, though I think I now remember reading it here
    before. Thanks for the correction....

    Stew

    "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:f_KdnQimMP7CDqPcRVn-tQ@netnitco.net...
    > How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
    > and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
    > interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9, Revision
    > 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
    > that's being referred to?

    Some of the things I've read, such as:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OfznFM6iEHA.3664%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl&output=gplain

    and

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=885626&product=windowsxpsp2

    lead me to believe that the affected processors are family 15 (or "F" in
    hexidecimal) model 3. However, this:

    also mentions Extreme Edition processors, which I believe are family 15
    model 2. Which leaves me scratching my head.

    Based on your Family/Model/Stepping of F29 and your 512KB L2 cache
    I'm inclined to think you have a Northwood, and given that your CPU
    Revision is >= 8, I'm inclined to think that you'd be safe anyway.

    FWIW, CPU-Z provides additional information about processor, etc. If
    anyone is interested: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

    I found out what processor I had by checking the service tag information at
    Dell support
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    Carolyn

    "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
    > and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
    > interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
    > Revision
    > 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
    > that's being referred to?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> Carolyn;
    >> See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
    >> http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
    >> >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
    >> >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
    >> >some sage advice from this group.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Carolyn

    "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor?

    All Prescotts , Celeron D and Extreme Edition CPUs are affected.

    > I downloaded
    > and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
    > interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
    Revision
    > 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
    > that's being referred to?

    You are not affected.

    > "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Carolyn;
    > > See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
    > > http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
    > > >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
    > > >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
    > > >some sage advice from this group.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Carolyn

    Thanks for the great advice.
    Carolyn

    "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:nNOdnW3XOuPJ5qLcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
    >I found out what processor I had by checking the service tag information at
    > Dell support

    And what did that say?

Dell XPS Chip Windows XP Computers