Win XP SP2 Upgrade question

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 8, 2004 2:44:44 AM

I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to know
is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble a
XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from this
group.

Thanks,
Carolyn
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:44:45 AM

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to know
>is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble a
>XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from this
>group.
>
> Thanks,
> Carolyn

No. Install first, flash later if you have evident need.

Stew
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 7:58:35 AM

With the Prescott, you should update the BIOS first. Otherwise, you won't
be able to load XP after the first reboot.

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want to
know
> is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems without trouble
> XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need some sage advice from
this
> group.
>
> Thanks,
> Carolyn

September 8, 2004 8:51:30 AM

Carolyn;
See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
>to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
>without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
>some sage advice from this group.
>
> Thanks,
> Carolyn
September 8, 2004 8:51:31 AM

How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9, Revision
17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
that's being referred to?

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> Carolyn;
> See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
> >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
> >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
> >some sage advice from this group.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Carolyn

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:34:53 AM

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
> and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
> interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
> Revision
> 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
> that's being referred to?

Prescott has 1mb of L2 Cache versus Northwood's 512kb.

Stew
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 10:35:28 AM

> With the Prescott, you should update the BIOS first. Otherwise, you won't
> be able to load XP after the first reboot.

I was not aware of this, though I think I now remember reading it here
before. Thanks for the correction....

Stew
September 8, 2004 12:16:59 PM

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:f_KdnQimMP7CDqPcRVn-tQ@netnitco.net...
> How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
> and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
> interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9, Revision
> 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
> that's being referred to?

Some of the things I've read, such as:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OfznFM6iEHA.3664%4...

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=885626&p...

lead me to believe that the affected processors are family 15 (or "F" in
hexidecimal) model 3. However, this:

also mentions Extreme Edition processors, which I believe are family 15
model 2. Which leaves me scratching my head.

Based on your Family/Model/Stepping of F29 and your 512KB L2 cache
I'm inclined to think you have a Northwood, and given that your CPU
Revision is >= 8, I'm inclined to think that you'd be safe anyway.

FWIW, CPU-Z provides additional information about processor, etc. If
anyone is interested: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
September 8, 2004 9:36:07 PM

I found out what processor I had by checking the service tag information at
Dell support
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/supp...

Carolyn

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor? I downloaded
> and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
> interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
> Revision
> 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
> that's being referred to?
>
> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> Carolyn;
>> See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
>> http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
>> >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
>> >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
>> >some sage advice from this group.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Carolyn

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 1:17:19 AM

"Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor?

All Prescotts , Celeron D and Extreme Edition CPUs are affected.

> I downloaded
> and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
> interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
Revision
> 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
> that's being referred to?

You are not affected.

> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> > Carolyn;
> > See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
> > http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >

> > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >I need to install SP2 on a XPS Prescott chip Gen 2 computer. I want
> > >to know is it necessary to update the Bios. I updated two systems
> > >without trouble a XPS Gen 2 -pre prescott chip and a 8300. I need
> > >some sage advice from this group.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Carolyn

September 9, 2004 1:17:20 AM

Thanks for the great advice.
Carolyn
"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Mark" <granmark@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> How do you tell if you have an affected Prescott processor?
>
> All Prescotts , Celeron D and Extreme Edition CPUs are affected.
>
>> I downloaded
>> and ran the Intel tool mentioned in the post, but didn't know how to
>> interpret the output. CPU Type 0, Family F, Model 2, Stepping 9,
> Revision
>> 17 and Level 2 cache 512 KB. Is the CPU Revision the microcode revision
>> that's being referred to?
>
> You are not affected.
>
>> "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> > Carolyn;
>> > See this link for detailed information about Prescott and SP-2:
>> > http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jupiter Jones
>> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>> >

>> > "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message

September 9, 2004 1:36:36 AM

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message news:nNOdnW3XOuPJ5qLcRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>I found out what processor I had by checking the service tag information at
> Dell support

And what did that say?
!