Recently I have been playing ZAngband and I must say that I really
like the idea of 'monster recall,' i.e. having the game list and
remember pertinent information (speed, attack points, etc.) regarding
monsters you beat. The more you kill, the more extensive the
information catptured gets. This makes it easier to figure out, say,
which monsters to fight with fire, which ones to fight with a specific
kind of weapon and which ones to run away from.

Am I right in thinking that NetHack does not have such a function? I'm
not going to suggest one gets implemented (that would have been done
ages ago if the DevTeam felt it was desirable, I'm sure), but I would
like to know just how I am supposed to figure out monsters stats and
properties in NetHack without reading spoilers or diving into the
source.

Is it merely a matter of keeping my eyes open? Do I just observe which
strategy or weapon kills a specific monster fastest? Are their other
techniques?

How do I get to know as much as possible about the NetHack world from
within that world?

Edo

Edo <invalid@example.com> wrote:
>Am I right in thinking that NetHack does not have such a function?

Yes.

>I'm
>not going to suggest one gets implemented (that would have been done
>ages ago if the DevTeam felt it was desirable, I'm sure), but I would
>like to know just how I am supposed to figure out monsters stats and
>properties in NetHack without reading spoilers or diving into the
>source.

There are three items - two magical, one not - that permit one to
observe certain attributes of a monster to which they are applied. The
non-magical one always appears in the starting inventory of a certain
character class. Of the magical ones, one is an artifact weapon and the
other is a wand.

Beyond that, all you can do is observe which attacks perform the best
against which opponents.
\_\/_/ http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mpread/dungeonbash/
\ / "tempted white eyes blinded by the night hollow like the towers from the
\/ inside laura's a machine she's burning insane" fields of the nephilim

TRENDING THREADS