Sign in with
Your question

Intel admits clock speed is not everything!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2001 7:10:51 AM

With the release of the new .13 micron PIII-M, Intel points out that it's higher bus speed, increased cache, etc, makes their new mobile processor outperform their old one by 30%, clock for clock.

Intel admits that clock speed isn't everything? According to their P4 release information, it was supposed to be the only thing! How are they going to justify the poor performance to clock speed ratio of the P4 now? How are they going to justify selling more powerfull chips for notebooks than desktops, with the mobile version having twice the cache, as much as the server version?

Video killed my Radio Card!

More about : intel admits clock speed

August 1, 2001 7:24:12 AM

My question is who the hell needs a laptop that powerful anyways? sure there is probably a small group of people doing engineering aps or something on a laptop, but for main stream america, who needs it? it's not like laptops are a gaming platform or something.

That oughta void your warrenty!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2001 8:04:59 AM

That is not the question to ask. The question to ask is, "How many people want that powerful of a laptop?" Lots. If I was in business, I wouldn't care about how many people NEED it. I would be concerned with how many people will BUY it.
deez
August 1, 2001 9:51:27 AM

Why do you need a powerfull Notebook? Anybody working with a mobile CRM (customer relationship management) system with a customer database (with orders, contracts etc) which is frontended with a Java or VB application is going to need a high spec laptop. You would not believe how heavy these applications can be. And there are a lot of sales people out there.
August 1, 2001 2:08:39 PM

You guys aren't joking are you? If anyone is running Windows 2000 and is using multiple apps at once, you really need the speed. People forget how important the chip is in multi-tasking (it tends to get overshawdowed by memory). I'm happy with the continuous upgrades of mobile chips, it's a great thing. I mean, no one really uses laptops for games or for 3d rendering, but you get 4 ie windows, outlook, excel, word, a few telnet sessions and a couple dbs in the background going then you need the power. A lot more software developers use laptops for their work than most people might think.

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games
August 2, 2001 12:08:39 AM

hey...
i thought computer chips came from melted sand, not rock :) 

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.
August 2, 2001 3:05:08 AM

Well i think they could have a good reason. Maybe the Northwood will have 512k and a Faster FPU.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2001 3:26:48 AM

Right now it sounds as though the new PIII-M is a great alternative to the server version of the Tualatin. Same specs, lower voltage, means more room for voltage increases when overclocking!

August 2, 2001 3:50:34 AM

yes and no...
more cache is easy,
better FPU no. the FPU is an integral part of the P4 design. they cant make it better without redesigning it almost from the ground up.
intel is just gonna have to push its high frequency, dualchannel architecture, netburst and blueman group as reasons to buy the P4.

August 2, 2001 4:14:40 AM

Actually, the Pentium 4 was designed as a 0.13 micron chip. To release it as 0.18 they had to rip out a few things. Everything simply wouldn't fit. You can expect the 0.13 micron Northwood Pentium 4 to pack quite a punch. It will be as originally designed.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
August 2, 2001 4:36:32 AM

Does someone use your name for this post.

Intel admits that clock speed isn't everything? According to their P4 release information, it was supposed to be the only thing!

Tell me where.Toms have once ask intel and AMD on how to make a fast cpu (some thing like that)

Intel : instruction per cycle * number of cycle
AMD : ?????? that what they say.

Bolth is right.The speed is overall of the platform.

Tuatulin get 30% more in clock for clock so northwood will get also 30%.Clock for clock do not exsite that was create by website for comparing cpu between them.Intel made a trade IPC for cycle and that was the good choice.Intel made clearly better cpu and chipset.All others will retake there place at the place they deserve.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2001 5:02:48 AM

Intel touted the MHz of the P4 in the adverstizing material OEM's repeated so nicely. Read the adds.

PIII-M can be compared to the original mobile PIII in at 1GHz. That was the fastest of the old mobile PIII. The new PIII-M is available all the way down to 866MHz. Check out the latest benchmarks from review sites. Around 30% faster.

August 2, 2001 5:55:41 AM

juin -- Intel used to make better cpu and chipset. However, the last few years, it makes a bunch of flawed products, either out-dated (PIII) or strip-down (P4) or simply a con job (i820). Even now, while I give kudos to Intel technology people for their effort to extend PIII, it is utterly ridiculous to waste the 0.13 technology on such an ancient design. As for the future, let's wait and see how Northwood fares.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**
August 2, 2001 7:08:19 AM

Quote:
How are they going to justify selling more powerfull chips for notebooks than desktops, with the mobile version having twice the cache, as much as the server version?

Well .13 micron P4's would be a start when they come out. Also the Xeon P4 has the same cache as the P4 L2 wise, but has a slightly larger L1. I believe the differance is 12k Xeon, 8k P4.

ID10T errors are the cause of most consumer's computer problems.
August 2, 2001 7:38:39 AM

i devoutly hope so!
i also hpe they get their act together and release a proper fully functioning PC2100 (not PC1600) ddr chipset soon!

August 2, 2001 7:50:02 AM

That'd be a downgrade from 3.2GB/sec of memory bandwidth to only 2.1GB/sec. It should be out some time in Q1 of 2002, but i'm not going to touch it myself.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
August 2, 2001 8:18:40 AM

Of course, Intel could dual-channel it, as they do with RDRAM--then we'd have 4.2GB/sec bandwidth. I doubt they'll do that, though--especially since you don't see such a beast coming anytime soon...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2001 9:13:54 AM

Sure it's outdated. But so is the BX and people still use it. In fact, the outdated PIII, in the .13 micron 512k server version, performs on par with T-birds. Which means that it could outperform P4's with up to a 30% higher clock rate, just as the T-bird does. And there is not much developement cost involved in making the switch. So the revised PIII has the ability to be more profitable for Intel than the P4 is. I think it will stick around a while. I think Intel is making it quite until they come up with faster P4's so they can market to different segments with the two (PIII as a midrange chip to compete against the T-Bird, P4 as a high end chip for fanatics).

August 2, 2001 5:54:36 PM

Well, sand is very fine rock. Technically, sand is usually silica with pieces of minerals in it (like magnetite) that undergoes chemical and mechanical disintegration. Usually sand comes from rocks that are undergoing weathering or erosion. Obviously the biggest sources of erosion that cause sand are wind and water. Since chips are mostly made out of metals (there are other things in there too though like insulation between transitors) and silicon which is melted sand. So metals are rock and so is sand. And when i read some of the arguments of "pentiums are better" or "athlons are better", i get an image of cave people arguing "ohh my rock is better" or "my animal bone is better". And since chips are essentially rocks, i decided to use that as a sig.

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games
!