bard

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

I would like to ascend a Valkyrie under the patronage of Loki. It seems
to me it shouldn't be terribly difficult, except for dealing with the
initial alignment conversion and its negative side-effects. However for
the intent of playing a Chaotic Valk, I would like to play as Chaotic
for as long as possible (what's the fun if you just pop on a HoOE on
the astral plane)?

I seem to recall reading that if you change alignment before the Quest,
it is impossible to complete your quest. Is this true? Do you have any
recommendations for when exactly to attempt an alignment change?
Anything I should consider when taking a stab at this?

Your humble and obedient Renaissance Man,

Bard

Bard wrote:

> I seem to recall reading that if you change alignment before the Quest,
> it is impossible to complete your quest. Is this true?

Yes.

> Do you have any
> recommendations for when exactly to attempt an alignment change?

As soon as you have completed the Quest and are in the vicinity of a
chaotic altar and a unicorn of your own alignment, or a creature of your
own species.

> Anything I should consider when taking a stab at this?

Mjollnir may blast you. You will probably lose divine protection. All the
gods will be mad at you and chaotic gods are the hardest to appease.

Raisse, killed by a black unicorn

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Bard wrote:

> I would like to ascend a Valkyrie under the patronage of Loki. It seems
> to me it shouldn't be terribly difficult, except for dealing with the
> initial alignment conversion and its negative side-effects. However for
> the intent of playing a Chaotic Valk, I would like to play as Chaotic
> for as long as possible (what's the fun if you just pop on a HoOE on
> the astral plane)?
>
> I seem to recall reading that if you change alignment before the Quest,
> it is impossible to complete your quest. Is this true? Do you have any
> recommendations for when exactly to attempt an alignment change?
> Anything I should consider when taking a stab at this?

You could also wear an HoOA for as long as possible, but I agree that this
is not exactly "the" thing.

Don't donate before the quest if you don't really need to, do the quest
asap to convert yourself after that. The Orb will blast you, which is a
sad thing. You can avoid Mojo blasting by avoiding getting it before the
conversion (stick to Excalibur which is a nice enough weapon for the
pre-quest game).

Keep lot of money for the post-conversion protection (you'll have a much
higher level).

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
> Bard wrote:

> > recommendations for when exactly to attempt an alignment change?

> As soon as you have completed the Quest and are in the vicinity of a
> chaotic altar and a unicorn of your own alignment, or a creature of your

Or, if you find a helm of opposite alignment before starting the Quest and
don't mind never taking it off, you can put it on as soon as you have met
your quest mentor and descended the stairs to Home 2.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
> > Bard wrote:
>
> > > recommendations for when exactly to attempt an alignment change?
>
> > As soon as you have completed the Quest and are in the vicinity of a
> > chaotic altar and a unicorn of your own alignment, or a creature of your
>
> Or, if you find a helm of opposite alignment before starting the Quest and
> don't mind never taking it off, you can put it on as soon as you have met
> your quest mentor and descended the stairs to Home 2.

Will this avoid being blasted by the Orb ?

Or: will a quest artefact be generated according to your real or actual
alignement ?

--

Jean-Yves.Moyen@ens-lyon.org writes:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> > Or, if you find a helm of opposite alignment before starting the Quest and
> > don't mind never taking it off, you can put it on as soon as you have met
> > your quest mentor and descended the stairs to Home 2.

> Will this avoid being blasted by the Orb ?
> Or: will a quest artefact be generated according to your real or actual
> alignement ?

AFAIK, the quest artifact is always generated with the alignment you
started the game with anyway, no matter if you change your alignment after
that.

--
Jukka Lahtinen