Sign in with
Your question

Kill older monitor by ramping up brightness?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 6, 2013 12:03:15 PM

Hello,
I have an old SyncMaster 930BF that I use now as a secondary monitor on my desktop. Over the past 2 years or so I have had the monitor set to about 40% of its OSM brightness, however, yesterday I decided to turn it up to about 90%. It worked fine while I was using it, however, this morning the monitor would not turn on. It is recognized by my computer, I re-installed drivers, I power cycled the monitor and computer, I unplugged the monitor's DVI cable. Nothing seems to work and when the computer is restarted I can tell that some sort of very dim backlight turns on inside the monitor but an image is never displayed.

Has anyone ever heard that ramping up the brightness on an old monitor could sort of shock and kill either the backlight or the inverter?

Thanks
a c 105 C Monitor
February 6, 2013 3:09:52 PM

it is very possible that the monitor backlight could have burned out. there may or may not be a correllation between your recent setting change. the monitors specs should handle up to 100% brightness and normally there is some leadway before hardware failure so i wouldnt say you exceeded anything just that something electrically failed in your monitor relating to the backlight. probably the inverter but it could be something else.

m
l
!