Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

DAMN WIN7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 12, 2010 7:17:28 PM

hi. i'm not really sure how to categorize this problem since i havent isolated it. and the reason i haven't isolated it is because i'm extremely unfamiliar with win7.
I hope u can help - here goes :/ 

Basically, ive had win7 installed for a number of weeks now, and the problem has been there since the beginning. and i mean the very beginning since i only finished making the PC itself 3-4 weeks ago. I run ventrilo (newest vers) and when i go ingame somewhere like cod4 or cod2, or msg someone on xfire, the people on vent can hear my game/computer etc. now the obvious answer would be to turn down my game, but if i do this, i can't hear it. Im running Realtek HD audio manager as my sound driver, but as im relatively new to the win7 scene i dunno how to check ive got the correct settings, or even what these settings are. The same issue with vent. IF anyone is familiar with vent, it asks you to choose your input and output devices etc. Im basically at a loss as to how to fix this thing, which for a learned man like myself, is very irritating.

Anywho, this will go a way to helping me understand how to manipulate my system if the need arises ever ever again. IF anyone can help. Thanks.

Nitro

More about : damn win7

May 12, 2010 7:42:34 PM

I've witness this issue a number of times and we have not been able to gain any rhyme or reason from it.

We usually fix it by removing the driver and restarting the machine and that usually corrects the issue. We even had to do it four times in a row with one computer before it finally worked. Windows won't admit it until the find and correct the issue.

Hope this works for you.
m
l
May 12, 2010 9:40:30 PM

jordanrhughes said:
I've witness this issue a number of times and we have not been able to gain any rhyme or reason from it.

We usually fix it by removing the driver and restarting the machine and that usually corrects the issue. We even had to do it four times in a row with one computer before it finally worked. Windows won't admit it until the find and correct the issue.

Hope this works for you.

i dont think its that.. well im not sure to be honest i thought there were some settings i could try and twiddle that usuallly controlled 'sound intensity' or somethin

just remove the driveR? not install a new one?
m
l
Related resources
a c 225 $ Windows 7
May 12, 2010 11:18:27 PM

Both Windows Vista and Windows 7 can now assign volume levels to both individual applications, and individual devices. Right click on your sound icon in the system tray and click Playback Devices. Select the Speakers that are currently in use, and click the Properties button. Select the Levels tab and look at each volume slider. One of these should be for your microphone. Click the button to mute the microphone (it's the button with the speaker icon on it between the numerical volume level, and the Balance button at the far right of each entry in the list). Note that this will not cause your microphone to stop working, it will simply stop it from constantly capturing sound and feeding it back through your speakers.

Your microphone should still work properly when you push the Ctrl button to talk when using Ventrilo.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 1:12:32 PM

In your Ventrilo client: Go into the settings. Ensure Direct Sound is checked (upper right), and set a Push To Talk key. Could be anything you like. (I use the + sign on the keypad)

Do that, and your mic will only transmit when you have the button pressed.
m
l
May 13, 2010 3:17:13 PM

i reckon ive fixed it - the problem - for whatever reason - was that i had my speakers connected to the jack at the back of my pc, and then had the headphones plugged into the speakers, i used to do this cos it boosted my sound like a bitch, btu removing the speakers seems to have fixed the problem. :)  thanks
m
l
May 13, 2010 3:42:44 PM

are you saying they heard the game through your speakers because you had speakers running?
m
l
May 14, 2010 1:21:41 PM

no .. my headphones were connected to my speakers, which were connected to the computer.. so i dont see how thats possible, but i dont think it fixed the problem.. it certainly reduced it though.. im just tinkering with sound levels for the mic and headpphones now.. see if i can find a balance
m
l
a c 225 $ Windows 7
May 15, 2010 1:47:22 AM

Nitrosity said:
no .. my headphones were connected to my speakers, which were connected to the computer.. so i dont see how thats possible, but i dont think it fixed the problem.. it certainly reduced it though.. im just tinkering with sound levels for the mic and headpphones now.. see if i can find a balance

See my first post and you won't have to play with the volume levels.
m
l
May 15, 2010 1:36:34 PM

didnt work for me prophecy mate
m
l