VERY annoying bug..

Hello, I'm sure this bug has come up before with some of you. What I'm
asking for is if there's any way to avoid its consequences. I'm playing
with 3.4.3, Win32 version, as downloaded from nethack.org.

Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
where it was when I entered that level.

Also, this happened to me with a promising Knight I was working on,
while riding. That file proved unrecoverable as nethack "cannot find
monster usteed". Then today, I was playing a Monk, and found speed
boots on level 3!.. only to lose them to the stupid EOF.

I have reported the bug to nethack-bugs@nethack.org, but the crazy
thing is that this only started happening to me a few weeks ago, and
seems to be getting really, really frequent! Maybe I'm just playing too
much NetHack.

I edited defaults.nh to turn autopickup off by default, but that was
all I did. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this bug is old news, or just my own
fault somehow.
16 answers Last reply
More about very annoying

    1.80 GB on an 80 GB drive.

    1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.

    Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters, but...

    I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
    happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but as
    no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
    causing it).

    Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
    Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
    again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
    to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

    I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.

    In article news:<1127874838.591699.176470@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Stimp Mast <free_grooper@yahoo.com> says...
    > Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
    > window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
    > leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
    > the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
    > were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
    > where it was when I entered that level.

    I've never encountered it with Win32 Nethack on WinXP.

    Have you run scandisk, including surface check?

    Have you checked the md5 sums on the download?
    http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/winmd5sum

    Have you tried reinstalling?

    On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
    <1127874838.591699.176470@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
    allegedly said:

    > Hello, I'm sure this bug has come up before with some of you. What I'm
    > asking for is if there's any way to avoid its consequences. I'm playing
    > with 3.4.3, Win32 version, as downloaded from nethack.org.
    >
    > Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
    > window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
    > leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
    > the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
    > were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
    > where it was when I entered that level.

    [...]
    > but the crazy
    > thing is that this only started happening to me a few weeks ago, and
    > seems to be getting really, really frequent!
    [...]

    > Thanks in advance and apologies if this bug is old news, or just my own
    > fault somehow.

    How much space is left on the drive(volume) on which NetHack is
    installed?

    Have Fun
    Martin
    --
    Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Hm, I think you're on the right track with the bones files. I have
    files for D0.13, 8, 5, 4, O; M0.6 and T; and G0.O, V, and G (juiblex? i
    think). They're all from Hearse. And come to think of it, this started
    a few months after I installed Hearse.

    So it could be a bad bones file causing the crashes, in which case I
    should be able to fix the problem by deleting all my bones files? Or,
    could the problem be related to the actual loading of the bones file
    rather than any specific one, in which case I'd have to just do without
    bones files altogether. Hm. I'm hoping it's the former explanation, heh.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Stimp Mast wrote:
    > Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters, but...
    >

    > I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
    > happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but as
    > no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
    > causing it).
    >
    > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
    > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
    > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
    > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
    >
    > I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.

    Did you happen to look at the System or Application Event Log in
    Windows? Yes, Windows does have logging functions. If this is not
    illuminating, edit group policy to increase logging.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
    <1127881746.404394.217940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
    allegedly said:

    > 1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.

    well, it sounded like a disk reliability or space issue. Not the
    latter, apparently...

    Have Fun
    Martin
    --
    Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:12:47 +1000,
    Martin Crisp <a.tin.of.rotten.spam@tesseract.com.au> wrote:

    > On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
    > <1127881746.404394.217940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
    > allegedly said:

    >> 1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.
    >>

    > well, it sounded like a disk reliability or space issue. Not the
    > latter, apparently...

    I don't know: I usually get anxious at around 2/3 to 3/4 full, and
    downright nervous anywhere near around 90%. If nethack is the only
    thing acting up, then it's probably *not* a disk space issue, but if
    other programs are also crashing randomly or giving strange results or
    errors, then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
    system to maneuver about without bumping into things.

    Regards,
    Dan

    --
    Dan Sommers
    <http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>

    In article news:
    <m2k6h1crxt.fsf@unique.fully.qualified.domain.name.yeah.right>, Dan Sommers
    <me@privacy.net> says...
    > then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
    > system to maneuver about without bumping into things.

    I find that hard to believe, even on XP. For instance the swap file should
    be a permanent size.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:34:16 GMT,
    Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > In article news:
    > <m2k6h1crxt.fsf@unique.fully.qualified.domain.name.yeah.right>, Dan Sommers
    > <me@privacy.net> says...
    >> then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
    >> system to maneuver about without bumping into things.
    >>
    > I find that hard to believe, even on XP. For instance the swap file should
    > be a permanent size.

    I am very nearly wholly ignorant with respect to XP.

    Mac OS X implements the swap space as fixed size files in the file
    system, and the OS can grow (and occasionally shrink) the swap space as
    necessary by creating and removing the files. At one time, SunOS
    (around the 4.1.3 era, IIRC) did the same thing. And modern Linux's
    (Linuxen?) can run without a dedicated swap partition, which implies (to
    me, anyway) that they use the file system as necessary, but I don't know
    any more details than that.

    And even if nethack is well-behaved with respect to its memory usage,
    that doesn't mean that there's not something else on the OP's box that's
    using arbitrarily large chunks of memory (new driver? malware? network
    traffic?).

    Regards,
    Dan

    --
    Dan Sommers
    <http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/>
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Stimp Mast" <free_grooper@yahoo.com> writes:
    > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
    > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
    > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
    > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

    What bones files were present on your system?

    : "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
    : -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Before you delete any bones files - hang on a second. You wrote:

    > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
    > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
    > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
    > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

    The first line indicates that (if it was a bones file prob), it'd be a
    problem with level 3, which you don't have a bones file for. The second
    line indicates that you crash trying to go up to a level that's already
    been generated / loaded, which wouldn't be the case for a bones file
    problem. Bones files are deleted when they are loaded, so a crash from
    a bones file wouldn't affect you for this long.

    (The only exception I can think of for that is the 'death by a
    trickery' you get if trying to load a corrupt bones file, but that's not
    what's going on here.)

    Finally, looking at your history, you downloaded bonD0.4 and bonD0.5
    only tonight, so they *can't* be causing your long-standing problems!

    I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling NH. What you're
    describing sounds like pretty wacky behaviour.

    -- A.

    --
    My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

    Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Stimp Mast" <free_grooper@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters,
    but...

    > I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
    > happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but
    as
    > no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
    > causing it).
    >
    > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL
    3.
    > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and
    try
    > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have
    something
    > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
    >
    > I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.

    Maby you should try DLing nethack again.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Alexis <me@privacy.net> writes:
    > free_grooper@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hm, I think you're on the right track with the bones files. I have
    > > files for D0.13, 8, 5, 4, O; M0.6 and T; and G0.O, V, and G (juiblex? i
    > > think). They're all from Hearse. And come to think of it, this started
    > > a few months after I installed Hearse.
    >
    > Before you delete any bones files - hang on a second. You wrote:
    >

    > > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
    > > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
    > > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
    > > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
    > > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
    > > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
    >
    > The first line indicates that (if it was a bones file prob), it'd be a
    > problem with level 3, which you don't have a bones file for.

    Hmm? He didn't have a problem with DL 3; that was generated fine. He
    had a problem on trying to enter DL4, for which bones _do_ exist according
    to that listing.

    > The second line indicates that you crash trying to go up to a level
    > that's already been generated / loaded, which wouldn't be the case
    > for a bones file problem.

    Not if he'd recovered to the DL3 checkpoint.

    > Bones files are deleted when they are loaded, so a crash from
    > a bones file wouldn't affect you for this long.

    They're only unlinked if successfully loaded, by my reading of
    getbones(); if the game panics or crashes before then, they'll still
    be there.

    > Finally, looking at your history, you downloaded bonD0.4 and bonD0.5
    > only tonight, so they *can't* be causing your long-standing problems!

    Not those files in particular, maybe, but possibly a general bones
    problem.

    > I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling NH. What you're
    > describing sounds like pretty wacky behaviour.

    This may not be a bad idea in itself, but I still reckon it's the
    bones at the root of it :-)

    : "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
    : -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Wow, I'm quite impressed you figured it out so cogently. How'd you know
    my email address / hearse nick? Hmm.. well, now that I pay some
    attention I see you run Hearse.. heh.

    I had reinstalled a couple days ago and still gotten the error, then
    yesterday deleted all bones and re-downloaded, and have been fine
    since. No apologies necessary for the bad bones file - it happens. On
    the contrary, I must thank you for an excellent utility. It's
    definitely way scarier encountering a bones file when you don't know
    what's lurking :) And thanks to everyone else for the help and
    suggestions.

    I am curious, though, as to the origin of such corrupt bones files.
    What causes it? Accident, side-effect of abusive bones-leaving
    behavior, or just pure malice?

Games Bug Video Games