Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VERY annoying bug..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 11:33:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Hello, I'm sure this bug has come up before with some of you. What I'm
asking for is if there's any way to avoid its consequences. I'm playing
with 3.4.3, Win32 version, as downloaded from nethack.org.

Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
where it was when I entered that level.

Also, this happened to me with a promising Knight I was working on,
while riding. That file proved unrecoverable as nethack "cannot find
monster usteed". Then today, I was playing a Monk, and found speed
boots on level 3!.. only to lose them to the stupid EOF.

I have reported the bug to nethack-bugs@nethack.org, but the crazy
thing is that this only started happening to me a few weeks ago, and
seems to be getting really, really frequent! Maybe I'm just playing too
much NetHack.

I edited defaults.nh to turn autopickup off by default, but that was
all I did. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this bug is old news, or just my own
fault somehow.

More about : annoying bug

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:57:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

1.80 GB on an 80 GB drive.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:34:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters, but...


I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but as
no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
causing it).

Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 5:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article news:<1127874838.591699.176470@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Stimp Mast <free_grooper@yahoo.com> says...
> Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
> window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
> leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
> the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
> were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
> where it was when I entered that level.
>
I've never encountered it with Win32 Nethack on WinXP.

Have you run scandisk, including surface check?

Have you checked the md5 sums on the download?
http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/winmd5sum

Have you tried reinstalling?
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 5:44:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
<1127874838.591699.176470@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
allegedly said:

> Hello, I'm sure this bug has come up before with some of you. What I'm
> asking for is if there's any way to avoid its consequences. I'm playing
> with 3.4.3, Win32 version, as downloaded from nethack.org.
>
> Here it is: sometimes, going down stairs to an unexplored level, a
> window pops up saying "EOF on file #5" and the program just quits,
> leaving recoverable files. However, the interesting thing is that while
> the level itself - monsters, pets, items - will be in the state they
> were the same turn I crashed, my *character's* state is still back
> where it was when I entered that level.

[...]
> but the crazy
> thing is that this only started happening to me a few weeks ago, and
> seems to be getting really, really frequent!
[...]

> Thanks in advance and apologies if this bug is old news, or just my own
> fault somehow.

How much space is left on the drive(volume) on which NetHack is
installed?


Have Fun
Martin
--
Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Hm, I think you're on the right track with the bones files. I have
files for D0.13, 8, 5, 4, O; M0.6 and T; and G0.O, V, and G (juiblex? i
think). They're all from Hearse. And come to think of it, this started
a few months after I installed Hearse.

So it could be a bad bones file causing the crashes, in which case I
should be able to fix the problem by deleting all my bones files? Or,
could the problem be related to the actual loading of the bones file
rather than any specific one, in which case I'd have to just do without
bones files altogether. Hm. I'm hoping it's the former explanation, heh.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:56:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Stimp Mast wrote:
> Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters, but...
>
>
> I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
> happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but as
> no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
> causing it).
>
> Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
> Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
> again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
> happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
> again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
> to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
>
> I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.
>
Did you happen to look at the System or Application Event Log in
Windows? Yes, Windows does have logging functions. If this is not
illuminating, edit group policy to increase logging.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:12:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
<1127881746.404394.217940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
allegedly said:

> 1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.
>

well, it sounded like a disk reliability or space issue. Not the
latter, apparently...

Have Fun
Martin
--
Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:12:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:12:47 +1000,
Martin Crisp <a.tin.of.rotten.spam@tesseract.com.au> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2005, Stimp Mast sent message
> <1127881746.404394.217940@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, which
> allegedly said:

>> 1.80 GB of an 80 GB drive.
>>

> well, it sounded like a disk reliability or space issue. Not the
> latter, apparently...

I don't know: I usually get anxious at around 2/3 to 3/4 full, and
downright nervous anywhere near around 90%. If nethack is the only
thing acting up, then it's probably *not* a disk space issue, but if
other programs are also crashing randomly or giving strange results or
errors, then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
system to maneuver about without bumping into things.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/&gt;
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:12:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article news:
<m2k6h1crxt.fsf@unique.fully.qualified.domain.name.yeah.right>, Dan Sommers
<me@privacy.net> says...
> then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
> system to maneuver about without bumping into things.
>
>
I find that hard to believe, even on XP. For instance the swap file should
be a permanent size.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:12:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:34:16 GMT,
Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article news:
> <m2k6h1crxt.fsf@unique.fully.qualified.domain.name.yeah.right>, Dan Sommers
> <me@privacy.net> says...
>> then 2 gigs just might not be enough room for the operating
>> system to maneuver about without bumping into things.
>>
> I find that hard to believe, even on XP. For instance the swap file should
> be a permanent size.

I am very nearly wholly ignorant with respect to XP.

Mac OS X implements the swap space as fixed size files in the file
system, and the OS can grow (and occasionally shrink) the swap space as
necessary by creating and removing the files. At one time, SunOS
(around the 4.1.3 era, IIRC) did the same thing. And modern Linux's
(Linuxen?) can run without a dedicated swap partition, which implies (to
me, anyway) that they use the file system as necessary, but I don't know
any more details than that.

And even if nethack is well-behaved with respect to its memory usage,
that doesn't mean that there's not something else on the OP's box that's
using arbitrarily large chunks of memory (new driver? malware? network
traffic?).

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers
<http://www.tombstonezero.net/dan/&gt;
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 3:04:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Stimp Mast" <free_grooper@yahoo.com> writes:
> Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
> Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
> again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
> happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
> again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
> to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

What bones files were present on your system?

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
: -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :
September 29, 2005 11:39:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

free_grooper@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hm, I think you're on the right track with the bones files. I have
> files for D0.13, 8, 5, 4, O; M0.6 and T; and G0.O, V, and G (juiblex? i
> think). They're all from Hearse. And come to think of it, this started
> a few months after I installed Hearse.

Before you delete any bones files - hang on a second. You wrote:


> Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
> Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
> again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
> happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
> again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
> to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.

The first line indicates that (if it was a bones file prob), it'd be a
problem with level 3, which you don't have a bones file for. The second
line indicates that you crash trying to go up to a level that's already
been generated / loaded, which wouldn't be the case for a bones file
problem. Bones files are deleted when they are loaded, so a crash from
a bones file wouldn't affect you for this long.

(The only exception I can think of for that is the 'death by a
trickery' you get if trying to load a corrupt bones file, but that's not
what's going on here.)

Finally, looking at your history, you downloaded bonD0.4 and bonD0.5
only tonight, so they *can't* be causing your long-standing problems!

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling NH. What you're
describing sounds like pretty wacky behaviour.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
Hearse announcements: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hearseannounce
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:57:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

"Stimp Mast" <free_grooper@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1127936064.395905.98730@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hm. I use 2000 rather than XP, don't know how much that matters,
but...
>
>
> I tried all your suggestions, was happily playing today, and the bug
> happened again. (I also cleared up a few more gigs of HD space, but
as
> no other programs have been similarly misbehaving, I doubt that was
> causing it).
>
> Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL
3.
> Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and
try
> again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
> happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
> again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have
something
> to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
>
> I haven't had any such bugs playing SlashEM, FWIW.
>

Maby you should try DLing nethack again.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:23:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Alexis <me@privacy.net> writes:
> free_grooper@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hm, I think you're on the right track with the bones files. I have
> > files for D0.13, 8, 5, 4, O; M0.6 and T; and G0.O, V, and G (juiblex? i
> > think). They're all from Hearse. And come to think of it, this started
> > a few months after I installed Hearse.
>
> Before you delete any bones files - hang on a second. You wrote:
>
>
> > Kinda interesting actually. Crashed trying to go to DLVL 4 from DLVL 3.
> > Okay, I recover and decide to just explore the rest of DLVL 3 and try
> > again. I stumble into a trap door and fall to DLVL 5. (the bug has
> > happened before with trapdoors, guess I just got lucky) Then I crash
> > again trying to go *up* to DLVL 4. So I'd say it might have something
> > to do with the generation of the new level.. pretty baffling though.
>
> The first line indicates that (if it was a bones file prob), it'd be a
> problem with level 3, which you don't have a bones file for.

Hmm? He didn't have a problem with DL 3; that was generated fine. He
had a problem on trying to enter DL4, for which bones _do_ exist according
to that listing.

> The second line indicates that you crash trying to go up to a level
> that's already been generated / loaded, which wouldn't be the case
> for a bones file problem.

Not if he'd recovered to the DL3 checkpoint.

> Bones files are deleted when they are loaded, so a crash from
> a bones file wouldn't affect you for this long.

They're only unlinked if successfully loaded, by my reading of
getbones(); if the game panics or crashes before then, they'll still
be there.

> Finally, looking at your history, you downloaded bonD0.4 and bonD0.5
> only tonight, so they *can't* be causing your long-standing problems!

Not those files in particular, maybe, but possibly a general bones
problem.

> I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling NH. What you're
> describing sounds like pretty wacky behaviour.

This may not be a bad idea in itself, but I still reckon it's the
bones at the root of it :-)

--
: Dylan O'Donnell http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ :
: "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice." :
: -- Ciszek's Adaptation of Clarke's Third Law :
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Wow, I'm quite impressed you figured it out so cogently. How'd you know
my email address / hearse nick? Hmm.. well, now that I pay some
attention I see you run Hearse.. heh.

I had reinstalled a couple days ago and still gotten the error, then
yesterday deleted all bones and re-downloaded, and have been fine
since. No apologies necessary for the bad bones file - it happens. On
the contrary, I must thank you for an excellent utility. It's
definitely way scarier encountering a bones file when you don't know
what's lurking :)  And thanks to everyone else for the help and
suggestions.

I am curious, though, as to the origin of such corrupt bones files.
What causes it? Accident, side-effect of abusive bones-leaving
behavior, or just pure malice?
!