AMD-K6 running temp and overclocking

G

Hey what's up everbody. First post. Love the site and learning a lot from this forum ,site, any you peeps.
Have a AMD-k6 450mhz is 140 degrees. Is that an alright temp or is that to hot? What is dangerous temps for CPU's? Also what about overclocking, is it possible? how? I need more cheap speed until about next year when i upgrade my comp.
later

G

Very strongly suggest that you don't overclock any K6-2. Your more likely to fry it then get any significant speed increase. BTW 140 does seem a tad hot...

You should really be able to touch the h/s after the pc has been on for a long time without burning urself. If it is incredibley hot then u should consider a bigger h/s. If it feels cold or perhaps a bit too cool then maybe you should check to see that heat is passing between the cpu and heat sink

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :p

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
whats that 140 degrees celcius or farenheit? hope its farenheit :smile:

My K6-II 500 ran at 59 degrees celcius, put a coolermaster HS/F for socket A/370 and it came down to 54. The cabinet is baby AT and ambient is about 32~35 deg celcius (India). Keeping the cabinet open brought it further down to 50.
Still too hot by most standards, but there is no problem running the system for 20 hrs all day.

About 65 deg celcius is supposed to be dangerous for K6 processors although manuals say 90 deg is its max operating temperature.

Overclocking socket7 processors is easy, all socket7 boards have speed setting jumpers, just switch to some higher value, at times you can even change the core voltage but that cannot be controlled too fine, just drop down or step up to some lower or higher standard voltage (that supported some other CPU of different brand - see the charts in the manual or motherboard silkscreen) you could go half a multiplier with K6 range of CPUs easily, thats 50 MHz. Higher overclocking by increasing voltage might cause troubles since the processors already get too hot.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Get a big cheap Socket A cooler. They fit
Not ALL do- be careful, depends on the board

Very strongly suggest that you don't overclock any K6-2. Your more likely to fry it then get any significant speed increase
You MAY or may not get some extra speed out of it, some will and some wont, Im not sure how much 140F in C so I wont comment, if you do overclock it you really should get a decent hsf as mentioned, but make sure it will fit, some places offer hi spec socket7 fans, for example www.3dfxcool.com (yes I know theres plenty more but I remember this one provides measurements), I (well my kid) has a k6-2 400 and has run at 500 since the 1st week I got it ages ago whan 500 was considered fast. However I had a k6-2 400 that wouldnt go any higher
Good Luck.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

Sorry for not clarifing but i meant Farenheit. Forget USA is the only one that uses these standards compared the the rest of the world. If it was celcuis i think 140 i would have had a meltdown..it's 90F outside so probably close to 100 in my apart. CPU temp went up to 148F. Im to cheap to turn the A/C on, almost triples my elec bill. That money could be and is better used--for BROADBAND. :) Good thing i didn't get that leather chair i wanted or else i would be peeling my self off it. Took off the cover to mini-tower and temp dropped 20degrees. Hopefully all the dust in here won't hurt her. BTW have a heatsink of course and a small fan on CPU. Heatsink not burning to the touch, guess that's a good thing.

G

Clean the dust, besides the fact that the thought of all that dead decomposing skin laying in your pc is sick, it also increases heat build up because the dust acts as an insulator stopping heat dissapating so easily

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :p